Author Topic: Taking a stand  (Read 31991 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a stand
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 04:03:14 PM »

This is good. It is all about self regulation. Hopefully we can approach people in a nice way, and with good intentions in mind.

Take an average day at Hookipa, the lineup is so packed I wouldn't want to go there anyhow. We've got to understand that our boards are not shortboards, and that it has the potential to inflict a lot more damage. Combine that with many SUP'ers that aren't as versed in wave riding, and you'll have the potential for a huge conflict. The lineup at Hookipa is aggro enough without SUP'ers there...if we don't self regulate someone will do it for us, and I really do not think it will be the DLNR.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
My 2 pesos....I think the real problems come with the number of SUPs on a break with traditional surfers. If there are more than three SUPs on a break and there are not a lot of waves per set, each individual SUPer may not be hogging the waves, but as a group may be getting 90% of the waves.

I personally try to never SUP a break with more than 2 or 3 other SUPs; it just ain't fair. With this in mind, maybe try to limit the number on SUPs on any given break and this could be self regulated.  I.E, if you're one of the first three out and another SUP comes out, you tell him to go in and wait until one of you comes out.

Here in San Diego, I don't think it would work to regulate by location, one reason is that a break can very widely from one swell to another swell. One spot may be small all Summer long, but a good NW Winter swell will bring it to life while other spots are better in the Summer and don't work during the Winter. 

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
I think noworrieshawaii is right on the money. There are lots of friendly sup surfers on Maui who are courteous, share waves, and are out there to have fun.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
While it pains me a bit to see Kanaha on the list (one of my favorite SUP sessions ever was in the area that is to be off limits to beginners, and I still consider myself a beginner) I still think this is a positive step. I don't think this sets a precedent for the future and allows us to be pushed off other breaks...quite the opposite...it strengthens the argument that we have already sacrificed for the good of others and deserve the right to be at other spots.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Here2Stay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »
"I don't think this sets a precedent for the future and allows us to be pushed off other breaks...quite the opposite...it strengthens the argument that we have already sacrificed for the good of others and deserve the right to be at other spots."

If those guys are giving up there own breaks that is a big move for them to take and shows leadership.  Give respect get respect.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
The main problem on Maui is the lack of decent surf spots.. Oahu has spots that are the equivalent to Hookipa and are just spots that are rarely surfed..As a friend told me once if hookipa was on the N.Shore it wouldn't have a name.. Don't get me wrong Hookipa has it's moments. Personally I have no desire to surf Hookipa out of respect of the hoards of Maui short boarders who unfortunately is all they have on this side. If I want to surf Hookipa I will prone surf it I'll go down to Kanaha and surf the lesser spot, but in no way will I go surf some crappy close out so beginners on longboards can have the better wave...

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
Bill, I heard the same thing.  I think it was Charlie Smith who told me that.  He should know.  I heard he was the man at Haleiwa back in the day.

I hear what you're saying about not yielding choice breaks to beginners.  Somewhere a balance has to be struck because at the same time, I don't want my longboard sesh destroyed by a bunch of inconsiderate  SUP wavehogs and beginners who are a danger to themselves and others.  I'm sure you don't either.  I'm no Joel Tudor, but I don't have to be.  i'm competent, and I've coexisted peacefully at places like Ho'okipa and Kanaha for years. Times, they are a changin'!

Aloha!

// Gary

The main problem on Maui is the lack of decent surf spots.. Oahu has spots that are the equivalent to Hookipa and are just spots that are rarely surfed..As a friend told me once if hookipa was on the N.Shore it wouldn't have a name.. Don't get me wrong Hookipa has it's moments. Personally I have no desire to surf Hookipa out of respect of the hoards of Maui short boarders who unfortunately is all they have on this side. If I want to surf Hookipa I will prone surf it I'll go down to Kanaha and surf the lesser spot, but in no way will I go surf some crappy close out so beginners on longboards can have the better wave...

Dasurfclub

• Malibu Status
  • "Get Out There and Paddle"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »
I think it's important for us SUP'ers to try and self-regulate, because we all know what happens when the government gets involved..no one is usually happy with the outcome  :(.

Kepa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:38 AM »
Hey, this seems like a great idea!  While you are at it, do you think you could get all the guys on the long boards out of the water too.........?  Heck, what about the bodyboarders as well.....?  And while your at it, see if you can get anyone who wasn't born on Maui out of the lineups too......

Here2Stay

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
"Hey, this seems like a great idea!  While you are at it, do you think you could get all the guys on the long boards out of the water too.........?  Heck, what about the bodyboarders as well.....?  And while your at it, see if you can get anyone who wasn't born on Maui out of the lineups too......"

On Maui most sups respect surfers and bodyboarders.  We want them to have there waves.  You sound like you are against surfers an bodyboarders.  The guys on this list get it because they are top guys from all sports.  Archie is water saftey.  They want what s best and also this is what leaders do.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
It seems like the Maui gang is trying to lay down some basic guidelines for some of the crowded areas, which is a good idea.  Its their turf, they should be able to do what they want.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
Wow...what a bummer just reading all this.  Hookipa has been under tremendous strain because over the last few years alot of surfers seem to have shown up at the Island.  Every year I've gone back I can't believe how many people are in the lineup.  A ton of them aren't tourist or real locals so I'll let you fill in the blank about how they're making a living out there. 
There's already been a host of incidents between surfers and windsurfers at this spot.  I remember seeing some windsurfers getting ticketed because there were still surfers out.  It was blowing 20-25 kts.  You've got to be kidding me!!! The surf was total junk for surfing and I had gotten out of the water an hour ago.   Everything about that situation was wrong.
It all seems well and good however my biggest beef and its a big one is what about the longboards.  I've always been a shortboarder and guess what, when more then 3 longboarders show up, my wave count goes way down.  Not to mention, my 8'10" SUP is shorter then a long board, so I don't know about the hazard in the lineup theory/hypothisis. 
So how do you decide who has the skills to be out there or not?  If it's big and they made it out...well I'd say they belong out there. 
Listen, we are facing the same thing here even in Florida.  But I think the SUP'ers have made a decision that it's just not right to paddle out in a pack of shortboarders.  On one hand I guess we could let this work out naturally just like the revival of longboards but I guess they are trying to do the right thing but man it just really bums me out.  I'm with one author, next winter I'm off to Peru.  I bet the Tourism Board will love that.  Let's see mainlander spending money on the economy or vagabound living under a bridge surfing everyday at Hookipa? 

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
 From the perspective of a surfer,Mahalo  to you guys for the guidelines.Education is more important in the long run.The top guys that every one looks up to,and tries to emulate, must speak out publicly,post videos,to educate the newcomers,many of whom are young,and therefore be made aware of etiquette,and the value of sharing .Shapers,and manufacturers,and dealers also have a responsibility to educate their customers.Selling your boards and telling your customers to go learn at Launiupoko is WRONG.Local families take their kids there to learn to surf,it's a great place for the keikis.Now it's down right hazardous.Kanaha is another issue.Kooks go out there all the time,and do not belong there when it gets big,whether on a longboard,or stand up paddle.The stand up paddler is just more dangerous because of the  size of the board+length of leash.However most people's ego will not let them think of themselves as a kook,so therefore they will paddle out.(Had a few yesterday and today)So education is the key IMO.Education,and passing along the value of FUN,FRIENDSHIP,SHARING.Regardless of what we choose to have fun with on a particular day.Share the road,share the ocean.A spot like Kanaha,more than one person can surf the wave.And it is not MY wave,or YOUR wave.When you let someone go on a wave that you could have taken,you created more good will,more Aloha,and that person will remember ,and do the same at some other time.Lastly,as a stand up paddler,when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are,NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab a surfboard,and come back with the power of your two hands,unless you are one of the guys who stand up because your shoulders are shot.ALOHA
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
Lastly,as a stand up paddler,when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are,NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab a surfboard,and come back with the power of your two hands,unless you are one of the guys who stand up because your shoulders are shot.ALOHA

Lastly,as a LONGBOARDER, when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are, NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab a SHORT surfboard,and come back with the power of your two hands,unless you are one of the guys who LONGBOARD because your shoulders are shot.

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
Lastly,as a stand up paddler,when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are,NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab a surfboard,and come back with the power of your two hands,unless you are one of the guys who stand up because your shoulders are shot.ALOHA

Lastly,as a LONGBOARDER, when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are, NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab a SHORT surfboard,and come back with the power of your two hands,unless you are one of the guys who LONGBOARD because your shoulders are shot.

Or should it be:
Lastly,as a SHORTBOARDER, when you decide to go out at a particular surfing spot,be mindful that you are, NO MATTER YOUR ABILITIES AND SKILL,viewed as a pain,not on a level playing field,we can't wait for you to go in,grab YOUR SWIM FINS, and come back AND BODYSURF,unless you are one of the guys who SHORTBOARD because you can not swim.
[/quote]

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal