Author Topic: Bottom Turn Sets It All Up On a Wave  (Read 17944 times)

supmaui

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Bottom Turn Sets It All Up On a Wave
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
Aloha

Thought I would share this topic since I was studying it and alot of times I see guys/gals doing a bottom turn that either makes the ride happen or gets them behind the wave and end up going straight. Some other issues that arise with an incorrect bottom turn are loss of speed, too much speed, disaster, etc.

Here is a clip from surfline that talks about the bottom turn. **Yes it is a short boarder but the same principles apply to SUP surfing**
http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/trick-tips/bottom-turns_13434

Here is a visual of a good bottom turn. Not everyone will do it the same but maybe some tips can be shared and hopefully we can discuss. I know I am always wanting to improve and help people improve.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. Of course this is one of the keys to the surfing puzzle that have been discussed. Other keys to the surfing puzzle have been in other threads like compression, footplacement, balance, etc.

supmaui

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom Turn Sets It All Up On a Wave
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »
Here is something I found on Matt Kinoshita's Blog. Credit is given to http://blog.kazumasurf.com/. Below is an exert.

Tip#3

Great surfing revolves around a good bottom turn.  Plain and simple, if you have a solid bottom turn surfing becomes easy.  A good bottom turn will take you from the bottom of the wave to the top in one continuous arc and when done correctly, you will accelerate from start to finish of the turn. This acceleration creates explosive surfing and will allow you to link together all your moves with speed and flow.  Haven't you ever wondered how these 100 lb groms can be so explosive and powerful? They all most certainly have a good bottom turn.

Key points: 1) start your bottom turn early, don't go too far down into the flat of the wave.  Going down into the flat will take you out of the curve of the wave  and you won't be able to make it all the way back to the lip in one continuous arc.  2) Your weight has to be balanced between your feet, if anything a Little front foot weighted. 3) bend your knees and get LOW while putting weight on your toes.  This will get your board on it's rail which will give you that nice long arc. 4) Don't rush, a good bottom turn takes time.  Let it flow and you will accelerate through the turn.  5) Don't push too hard.  If you are slowing down, you are probably pushing too hard.  Soften up and you will gain speed and power.

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/dumbbell-squat.htm  Dumbbell squats are the best exercise to get your bottom turn stance dialed in.  This is the correct position to be in during your bottom turn.  I do these every other day to make that psoition feel natural and it helps keep me properly weighted and balanced over my board.

Go out and try this and remember, don't rush the bottom turn.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:39:42 PM by supmaui »

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
bottom turn!!!!.... ;D

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
Heres my bottom turn.........no need to "set".....I already know what behind me!

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »
awesome pic man, you are so comitted to that carve and yet you look totally relaxed!  nice!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »
Good tips Byron. I'm frequently struggling to get a flow going. Seems like all too often I go too far down the wave and have to stall to get back up on it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
bottom turn!!!!.... ;D
Oh  handsome..........I never know you still had that pic! I remember that turn clearly.....after I made that bottom turn, it set me up to do a round house snap of the off the white wash......and complete the turn....thanks for posting that pic.

You know Matt Kinoshita is so correct. Great surfing revolves around a good bottom turn.  Plain and simple, if you have a solid bottom turn surfing becomes easy.  A good bottom turn will take you from the bottom of the wave to the top in one continuous arc and when done correctly, you will accelerate from start to finish of the turn. This acceleration creates explosive surfing and will allow you to link together all your moves with speed and flow.

This is the continuing sequence to Steamrollers pic.

awesome pic man, you are so committed to that carve and yet you look totally relaxed!  nice!
Thanks Colin......The key to this carve is a really good board, fins set up, and being "fully committed" :)

Good tips Byron. I'm frequently struggling to get a flow going. Seems like all too often I go too far down the wave and have to stall to get back up on it.
Hey Bob.....bottom turns are key to a great acceleration and into your next turn  :)

Aloha.........Sam

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
Was thinking about this the other day.  I think about realating the bottom turn to a snowboard turn.  Its all about creating angles with the lower body.  Using you ankles, knees, waist, and in that order.  The lower body does the owrk in these. turns.  By closing those joints you an enable that "drive" that you see in the photos above.  I think alot of people have the problem of bending at the waist and think they are beding everything else.  I myself am one of those and have to think about snowboarding to force myself to make those moves. 

In the photos above, look at ankles, knees, and waist.  Look at all the bending.  The upper body is there to counteract the lower body.  By making these angles it hopefully helps to create upper/lower body seperation. 

Sam's photo is a great one as well.  On his "heelside" turn he cannot bend his knees backwards (maybe only once, LOL) so he has to compensate by using more in the ankles and waist.  He is doing the same moves.

Just some thoughts.  I can explain easier in person but not as well on paper (writing).  I included an example as well with an old snowboard photo and a SUP photo.  Basically in the same point of the turn, and look at the ankle, knee, waist.  Hope this helps..

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
Drop, Accelerate, Compress & Carve, Extend, Project...  

On bending; just bend zee ankles, 'cause if you do that everything else flexes along with 'em.    ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:56:30 PM by JC50 »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 06:56:27 AM »
I relate to a bottom turn, cutback   

as your SIGNATURE!

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »
Heres Mine...

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:37:10 AM »
freaking awesome shot, dave.  didja make it 'round the corner?

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »

Even if you go pretty far down the wave, with SUP boards you can lay into a bottom turn with your paddle and flow right up into the face of the wave.  When you get up ito the face remember to lean the other way and turn back into the wave or you will pop right off the wave.  You can do this instead of stalling and you will get more speed and have more fun.  My two cents for what it's worth.

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
Yup Erik made the section.... Hell yea baby.. looooooks like waves this weekend

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »
... and 35 mph winds.  see you out in the middle o' the Atlantic! :D