Author Topic: Paddle #3  (Read 5702 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Paddle #3
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:49:36 PM »
Some progress pics.

This is a straight shaft teardrop with a dovetail. I've done some "primitive" woodburning for effect.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle #3
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:42:37 AM »
i love that one, bob.  when are you going to go into production???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:51:12 AM by linter »

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »
Wow very nice paddle.  Great job with the woodburning.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »
Wow love your paddle work.   ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I don't know about production but I am seriously considering producing a limited amount of custom paddles. I don't want it to become tedious. I'd prefer to build them to suite the individual person and purpose. I think that a quiver of paddles is just as necessary as a quiver of boards. I see a good all around paddle, a pure surfer, and a pure cruiser/down winder for me. I also want to do inlay and/or burning on most if not all of them. Hehe...I'll sell a few paddles and buy a few boards. Gotta get one for the wife at least.

I still have a little experimenting to do before I go there though. I have 5 in the pipeline right now. A big part of the enjoyment for me is the design process.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »
Uugh....what a dog. It paddled horribly. I'm going to completely reshape it. The whole float idea was a complete bust. The other one I just finished was awesome though.... ;D. I'll get some pictures posted soon.
Bob

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
whats the dovetail for???...just to look cool...it looks cool ;D

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »
"Uugh....what a dog. It paddled horribly. I'm going to completely reshape it. The whole float idea was a complete bust."

What float idea?

Why did it paddle horrible?

The outline shape looks good..Did you put any dihedral shape into the face of the blade?

DJ

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »
Hey Stoneaxe-

I think your new paddle looks awesome. When does it work for you to have me come down and pick up the other paddle?
ecsup

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:51:30 AM »
I'm still playing with blade shapes. The dovetail is supposed to be like the dihedral in that it helps prevent flutter. This one definitely didn't flutter. But the shaft is probably too heavy for that anyway. It does look cool.

The float idea was something particular to me. I have a balance problem that can be bad on some days. I was thinking a blade with a lot of volume might help as something to lean on for those days. Not! The pictures don't show it but the blade is about 1-1/4" thick at the center and 3/4" at the edges. Made for a very clumsy feel. It also felt very short after using my #4 paddle. I'll keep this outline but probably cut the dovetail deeper. The current face shape is like a wooden soup spoon with a channel down the middle. When reshaped it will have a typical dihedral that blends into the channel and the dovetail.

EC ...give my cell phone a call and we can discuss what works. I was going to deliver, only fair..... You're going above and beyond on the reserve and shipping. Either way we need to get together on the water too. BTW, I was going to ask if you minded being recognized for the winning bid. I wanted to announce it on the forums et al. I guess since we are discussing it you don't mind  ???  but let me know
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal