Author Topic: Rails  (Read 3791 times)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Rails
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »
Does anyone beef up their rails when they build?  We used to use a technique where we would use fibeglass tape or screen to hold spackled on resin mixed with lots of micro balloons.  The result was a very thin divinnycell -like layer.  We would glass over top and it would make that area tougher.  Another technique was to drill a bunch of holes in the rail or router 1/8" lines across the area to be reinforced and you can get the same effect.

Have you guys been finding your rails have been hold up using just EPS and a couple of layers of glass? 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Rails
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:28:44 AM »
You don't cut the glass back and just lap all layers fully over the rail. It turns out very durable.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »
Ya, i wrap 2 from the bottom and 3 from the top (generally) although after building a few windsurfer like this we shifted to full 1/4 or 1/8" divinnycell/composite boards.

So the 5 full layers wrapped on the eps rail is enough to stop denting from the shaft?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »

So the 5 full layers wrapped on the eps rail is enough to stop denting from the shaft?

It works for me, even when not using paddle guard.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38:17 PM »
Cool, whats your layup?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:28:49 AM »
Cool, whats your layup?

bottom 1 6 oz E and 1 6 oz carbon lapping rail
deck 2 6 oz E lapping rail and 1 6 oz carbon not lapping rail.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »
Ah, carbon would make a bit of a diff, does't one layer of carbon equal about 4 layer or somthing of glass?

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »
bottom 1 6 oz E and 1 6 oz carbon lapping rail
deck 2 6 oz E lapping rail and 1 6 oz carbon not lapping rail.
I use double 6oz top & bottom (fully wrapped rails). No carbon....to expensive! And that's plenty strong. But then again I'm vacuum bagging my board.....that makes a difference.

Dwight,
Just wanted thank you for helping my friend Colin. Your knowledge & experience helps him (and everyone else) go along way...........Mahalo!!!

Aloha.........Sam

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
Hello Sam,

I've never done any vacuum bagging but would love to try it, couple of dumb questions I'd appreciate your thoughts on!

I assume that you have to bag in two sessions, does this sound right?

1. Glass the bottom then bag it, pull it out and clean up the edges of the glass.

2. Glass and bag the top as a completely second operation.

Also not sure of the finish you get from bagging - do you still need to do a flow coat over the top to get things smooth? Would seem like a real shame to add all that weight at that point, I was thinking maybe it would be better to trowel on a thick qcell coat that wouldn't add much weight - lots more sanding but very light.

Was also wondering if it was easier to form a nice sharp rail when you are bagging.

I hear that you have a lot to throw out after every bagging session, the special mesh that the excess resin flows through and the paper towel or whatever you use to soak up the excess resin. Does that get expensive?

Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge Sam and DW and others.

Cheers,
             Jonathan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal