Author Topic: Can you sit on a milk-crate on an SUP and use as kayak?  (Read 16382 times)

kimanjo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can you sit on a milk-crate on an SUP and use as kayak?
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
I'm just  wondering if anyone has tried this....

If you were to upturn a plastic milk crate on an SUP and secure it with a bungee cord, could you not sit on the (upside-down) milk crate and use it as a kayak (seat), so to speak? 

I've seen lots of videos of people attaching thier milk crates on their SUPs  in order to hold gear, etc.  So I am curious what is to stop a person from usig the milk crate as a seat, provided the crate is placed in an evenly balnced position?

My daughter got her SUP and she can stnad and paddle, now she wants to see if she can sit and paddle (she is an excellent kayaker) .  We have bene told that those kayak seats  (cloth, padded things) put you in an awkward position on the board and a paddler really needs a bit more height--hence, the idea of strapping on a milk-crate seat.   

She is on an 10'10" BIC Jungle and she weighs 100 pounds so she's got a lot of volume.   

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Essoxlupine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Can you sit on a milk-crate on an SUP and use as kayak?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
Well, if it doesn't work the worst that will happen is she might get a little wet!  So, give it a shot and let us know how it goes!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »
Looks like Super Dave sits on a beer cooler, & it even gets him in the magazines.

kimanjo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
thanks, guys--I have been searching the internet all afteroon for photos/videos of others who have done this (I didn't want to reinvent the wheel!) and it has given me a LOT of ideas...

You're right, it won't hurt to try a different variety of methods...the water here is warm, 87 degrees right now, so daughter won't mind falling off a few times...

Right now I'm thinking of a milk crate, cut down (?) to about 3/4 of it's height, then strapping a floatation cushion (like you use in outboard boats) to it for comfort.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
It certainly can be done, but why?  One of the great things about stand up paddling is the view from the higher perspective, and the involvement of the whole body. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
A small cooler works great-perfect height for fishing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »
Kayak paddling seems like it should work just fine, but why not just sit on the board directly? More stability because you are much lower to the water. It will be a lot more natural than using a milk crate or any other kind of raised seat.

However, you could try to attach the folding kayak seats used on sit-on-top kayaks for a little back support.

I'm still waiting to get my 14' race board, but when I do, I plan to experiment with keeping a breakdown kayak paddle under the deck bungies. It's much easier to paddle into a headwind with a kayak paddle in a seated position. That might make long distance tours of San Francisco Bay more adaptable to the freakishly variable winds we get around here.
Sustainable Surf

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
My guess is that a milk cart would be too high for a kayak paddle and would be closer to optimum for an outrigger canoe paddle.  For a kayak/waveski I find that having the seat about 4 inches higher than my feet (assuming you can still balance which should not be an issue on a wide Sup) is ideal.  The closer the seat is to the level of your feet the harder it will be on your back (a back rest helps but is still less than ideal).

The other thing missing would be something for your feet to push on.  Not sure how much effectiveness you lose from not having a good foot plant but it's not insignificant.  Maybe a handle (or two) mounted on the deck would give you some support and a carved piece of ethafoam would make for a good seat (attached to your deck with velcro).

I also have the same opinion as Andy - the greatest thing about a SUP is standing up.  It's the reason my kayak, wave skis, and surfski are covered with dust!  Going up wind is not fun but can make for a great workout and, as I've said before this is why they made trucks - who said you had to paddle upwind?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »
Doesn't the Bic Jungle have a seat as an accesory?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
i have an idea.. get a kayak :P

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:19:57 AM »
Stoneaxe is right:

Kayak:
Inserts in the deck of the board allow you to attach a BIC Kayak seat for long-distance cruising.
Rear footstraps: Together with a roof rack strap, can be used to attach a waterproof bag for long distance adventures.
Extra accessories required: $99 Bic Jungle Kayak kit includes 2 Pc. Kayak Paddle and Kayak Sit Down Backrest.

Still, it seems a little silly to me.  Without a way to brace with feet or knees, paddling sitting down is going to be awkward. 

midwest

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 05:27:30 AM »

If you were to upturn a plastic milk crate on an SUP

I dunno, the milk companies here were going to prosecute anyone caught with a milk crate . so I'm off milk crates until things cool down.

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
I made a kneeling-seat for my board: 10" high angled at maybe 20 degrees.  It is just like a kneeling thwart on an open canoe.  I use a canoe paddle.

Why do such a thing, you might ask.  Sometimes I just feel like doing something different, and it's easier than loading a canoe on top of my car.

pavedwave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
I've used this for seated kayaking on a SUP - a $20 weatherproof stadium seat.   No straps, screws, or tethers to the board necessary, the weight of your legs creates the back support.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal