Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle  (Read 40418 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Battle of the Paddle
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »
Congrats All!...very bummed to have missed it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
Congrats All!...very bummed to have missed it.

2nd that!!
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »
The distance and relay results are now posted on the Rainbow site and it looks like PonoBill walked away with the 60+ unlimited race.

Babcock, Bill   Portland, OR   M      1   82   02:30:00   

Bill, that is awesome.  We are stoked for you!

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »
Hawaii was represented really well at BOP.  I was able to stop by today to check it out and had a blast.  I still have no regrets not racing because I was freezing cold in the shade and I wasn't even wet.

Props to Sam Pa'e and Steamroller team for their relay performance.  I watched the change off to Sam and saw the fin falling out from the bottom of the board.  In waist to chest high sets, Sam just took off the fin and paddled their board around the course without it.  That was awesome.  Even better was his wave riding into shore on a board with no fin.  I would have filmed it but my camera ran out of batteries.  The Sanyo Xacti E2 camcorder is cool for being waterproof but the battery lasts 40 minutes or so.  I saw a few relay teams get their fins ripped off the bottom of their boards. 

Jamie Mitchell is a monster.  When he paddles, he leaves others in the dust.  The guy is an animal. 

I was on shore during the relay next to Slater's dad.  I could feel and hear Slater's dad's enthusiasm for his son. 

One thing I noticed was that the Hawaii guys and gals had a noticeable ease in the surf.  The final buoy was maybe 100 yards offshore or so and once they rounded it, I could see them relax and then catch the outer waves and surf the reforms all the way to shore.  Riggs Napoleon and Connor Baxter both had such style when coming in, it was impressive for anyone let alone young teenagers.

What is up with the kelp?  Seriously, we're so lucky we live in Hawaii where the water is warm and we don't have that crazy kelp.

Congrats to all the racers.  Great job!

Matt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
Here are some pictures I got of it.

Matt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
More pictures of it

scotty nagz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:39 AM »
CARNAGE! :o

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:46 AM »
It is pretty cool to be able to walk around with the best of the best in your sport...I kept kicking myself for not bringing a camera....Seemed like all the big names were there.  Met several zoners...Sam you sure can run for a big guy!
Gee.......thanks Shawn. I can run but I just can't keep up!.........those your bloods are just so fast. Reminds me of my younger days......LOL      Hey did we meet? (forgive me if we did).......I met sooooooo many zoners. Needless I'm glad you had fun......I did!

Hawaii was represented really well at BOP.  I was able to stop by today to check it out and had a blast.  I still have no regrets not racing because I was freezing cold in the shade and I wasn't even wet.
OMG!!!........are you freaking kidding me.........On the 10mile race it was fun at the start, but I was hating this race on the way back. My toes were getting frostbite, body was shutting down, and once I fell in that water with my body temperature going from hot to freezing cold water.....this is something I was not prepared for. But seriously I had no regrets.

Props to Sam Pa'e and Steamroller team for their relay performance.  I watched the change off to Sam and saw the fin falling out from the bottom of the board.  In waist to chest high sets, Sam just took off the fin and paddled their board around the course without it.  That was awesome.  Even better was his wave riding into shore on a board with no fin.
On the switch off the board hit a rock and broke the fin tab. So I had no choice but to remove the fin and go without it. It's not easy to control but manageable. You would have to do shorter strokes & switch hands more frequent. I was able to punch through a few waves and make it out there, but I was losing my position.

After rounding the second buoy a good size wave came in. Now this wave would have closed my gap on the six guys ahead of me, but I decided to give it up and surf the next much smaller wave, then risk the chance of losing control and my board........

One thing I noticed was that the Hawaii guys and gals had a noticeable ease in the surf.  The final buoy was maybe 100 yards offshore or so and once they rounded it, I could see them relax and then catch the outer waves and surf the reforms all the way to shore.
This is sooooooo true. Not to be "arrogant", but our strong point was the surfing ability. We could have easily close the gap buy catching waves.

What is up with the kelp?  Seriously, we're so lucky we live in Hawaii where the water is warm and we don't have that crazy kelp.
Kelp?.........on the long distance race I stopped to check it out....I think it was so cool! The mainland guys thought I was crazy!!!!! But seeing kelp for the first time had me "mesmerized"

I had a great second day....I'm glad is over. I'll be spending one more day here and fly ouy on Tuesday afternoon

Aloha.....Sam

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2009, 04:55:16 AM »
Paddle Battle looks like the perfect name.  ;D
Congrats Slater and Candice!!!     

soulsurfmedia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »
Hey everyone, the battle lived up to it's name, it was a great event. Covered it for the Stand Up Project site, but after the first day, we made a "quick edit" to share with everyone. Look for our full event coverage in the Jan issue of The Stand Up Project. Enjoy- and thanks to Rainbow and all of the sponsors for a really well run, fun event. (sorry if the embedding is sloppy in the post. Not sure how to embed the code into the post--- hope this works)

<p><a href="">Battle of the Paddle 2009 "Quick Edit"</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/soulsurfmedia">Soul Surf Media</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Great video.  looking forward to watching the unabridged version, let us know when it's completed.  Thanks.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »
All,

Just a great event.  Met some zoners (Pono, Tom English, Sam, probably more) all very very cool.  Sam's aloha was sooo genuine.  Scored a board from Dave Daum at King's Paddle Sports and "raced" both days.  Top ten in my age/class on Saturday (tenth out of probably eleven), and eleventh on Sunday.  Mad respcect to the distance paddlers... that is a brutal sport!  Dave Daum is a really cool guy, (same with his partner in crime Stewart).  I rode his 8'6" (by 29) WCT model in the surf before the distance event and it is a really fun shape.

As all the participants can attest, the double digit headwind on the return leg was a true test.  Caught a few waves on some different boards Sunday afternoon... but my legs were kind of shot.  If this event comes to a town near you... you gotta go!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
Who was speaking at the intro of the vid?  Really nice.

soulsurfmedia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »
Thanks, it was Dorian Pasckowitz. Unfortunately, I could not get an actual shot of him speaking, my second camera person (aka my wife) was in the water at that point and I was positioned for the start of the race :( You are right, it really added something special to the beginning of the open race. C4 has a video of Todd Bradley and his son paddling with john (the man they are talking about). It is a really nice video- I hope to someday get back to Hawaii to tell more of John's story. I think it is important for us to document the history as well as the current state of affairs. thanks for your nice comments.
Chris Aguilar
http://www.soulsurfmedia.com
http://standupproject.com

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
What an AWESOME video - the hair on the back of my neck was standing up! 
WELL DONE.

Now I am even more bummed that I missed it.

Next year for sure.

Any one meet my bro - Scott - at the Starboard tent?
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal