Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle  (Read 40541 times)

FB1

Re: Battle of the Paddle
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
Any resullts STANDUP PADDLE MAGAZINE just FBed Mark R 1st, Dan G 2nd. Can anyone confirm if this was the Elite race?

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
Can anyone give a report on BOP today

Elite race winners?
Conditions?
NWS is reporting "gale watch"  north of san Clemente , tomorrow to  SW winds to 30 MPH  !!!!

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »
Jamie Mitchel 1st
Slater Trout 2nd
******        3rd
Chuck Patterson  4th or 5th

Thats all I know...it was hectic!  But FUN!!!!

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
Jamie Mitchell, Slater Trout, and Danny Ching.  Great to see guys from various disciplines and locals sharing the winner’s podium.  News from the Trout camp is there is one happy Trout this evening.  A 2nd place finish, $3000.00, racing among a mega talented field.  Way to represent Maui Slater, a big congrats from the Zone :)!!!! 

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
Thanks Longboarder1973 and Chan for the info.  !

Aloha

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
coconut wireless has two more results.

shakira 1st
candice 2nd.

congrats to all.
Support your local shaper

sanch10

• Malibu Status
  • Sancho
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
Conditions were tough, the whole race was in the surf and kicked my Arse. I think Danny Ching was 3rd.

SS

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
Conditions were fun to watch...constant south swell coming through.  It was great to watch the course was insane for spectators...great viewing, lots of waves ridden.
I wrote that Chuck was 4th, but he was actually 5th.
Tommy Lloy was 7th.
Tomorrow is the distance race, conditions should be tough for me on my 12'6....haha
Great meeting Sam, a true legend and PonoBill...
Thanks Sparky and Gerry...awesome event!

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
tough race today but lot's of fun! and carnage.  happy to have finished and humbled to be part of a field as talented as today's!  ;D

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »
Aloha Everyone,
Today was such a day that will go down as one of the best races in all my years competing. I'm so glad that I came. The organization of this event was so great.....It ran smoothly. Things were so great that when you pull up with your truck that was full of boards?.....no problem! they'll help un-strap your board and the BOP Crew would carry your board down to the staging area!!!!........You stay in your car, then drive off.......Like a drive threw...Great!

I got to me up with more zoners. Met up with "Mahana" (Steve) & "Ninth Island" (Alex) and hanged out. I finally got to meet "PonoBill"......the 3rd place geezer! Yes that's right he took third place in his class (according to him). Congratulation!!

In my class open 40-49 unlimited..........I came in 1st.......at a time off 0:58 and I was shocked!!!.........So many guys passed me up but they were all in different classes..........I never thinked twice to look at my time because I thought I did bad!!!............I didn't know I won, until they were announcing the winners. The 2nd place winner behind me came in at of time 1:20:00. So now I'm coming home with a win under my belt.

Now for the elite class............All I can say is this. Now this is in my eyes & IMAO........It didn't matter if you were in  top shape, a fast paddler, a big wave surfer, a small guy, a light guy, or a season OC-1 paddler. Dohoney's course will put ALL your skills together, paddling, swell reading, ocean knowledge, surfing, and timing. If you don't have any of this the you'll be in trouble.........Case in point

I saw Aaron Napoleon  take the hole shot, pull away at the first buoy, just to get caught up by six other guys catching a swell and fight for the next turn......so now Aarons gap get closed by six guy and the field is right on his tail. Now before they rounded the next buoy........one guy pulls ahead and catches the swell and he's gone........HUGE gap between 1st & 2nd...........not long after this lead changes.....the leader gets caught by a wave and gets passed by another paddler that was able to climb the white water (now hes in the lead).......only to lose that position to some guy who catches a wave and wipes him out due to his lack of surfing ability..........now here comes Jamie Mitchell to capitalizing on ALL this carnage.........and never looked back!!!

Today tested the ability of a true persons skills........and in my eye if you saw what I seen, then you would truly call theses guys...........A true "WATERMAN"

Tomorrow.........10mile Long Distance & Relays races........It going to be a long day.....I'm tried and it's been a long day...I'll see you guys tomorrow

Aloha........Sam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:36:49 PM by Sam Pa'e »

Blane Chambers

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »
Congrats Sam...   Sounded like fun!

Congrats to all who did well and to all who braved the carnage...

Most impressive thing I heard so far on all this is...
Elite Class... SLATER TROUT, 14 yrs old, 2nd place.   

Matt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »
Absolute carnage on the turn around the hammer on the first lap as paddlers met some waves that put them out of any contention when some solid sets rolled through.  You couldn't ask for a better event to watch as combining the element of waves with outside flat water separated some original favorites from the pack.  It was a great event for all and our boards were constantly out for demo so that is a great sign of the popularity of the sport.  Tomorrow should be great as conditions will change slightly with some weather moving in and some possible bigger swell on the way so we shall see.  If anyone has pictures to post please do as there has been some awesome vibe in the water.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
Congrats Sam and all the other Zoners that gave it a go.... Now where's the pics..  :D

DJ

SUPsonic

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »
Congratulations Slater Trout 2nd place in the Elite Class

Slater is the Future of this great sport both in the surf and on the race courses.

The 14 year old Giant Slayer.

He deserves the results because the kid trains like a pro and has incredible support from his family.

Good on you Slater I look forward to more results from you in the future.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2009, 03:07:45 AM »
It really says something for this small Aussie SUP board company.. http://www.lahuikai.com/

DJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal