Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle  (Read 40540 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Battle of the Paddle
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:57 PM »
So who is going? I've signed up for both the age group race and the distance paddle. Looks like the distance run is about 9.5 miles--from Dana point to the san clemente pier and back. A nice cruise if there isn't any wind--a grim upwinder on the return leg if there is.

Should be a great event in this second year. I hope to see many of you zoners there.

http://www.rainbowsandals.com/battleofthepaddle/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battle of the Paddle
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
Great event last year...looks even better this year!
I am doing the age group and distance race also.  I am going to slog it out on a 12/6.  I am sure most will be on longer boards for the distance race.  I have been doing trial runs the last few weeks since i live in the area.  Bill is correct...will be a great run if there isnt wind, but if there is...wow, coming back is brutal!
Just a few weeks away...see everyone there!

Rick

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »
So Bill, what size board are you using for the age group? I've been laid up and out of the water for a month & a half with a tendinitises issue, so no training for me. I should be back in the water soon, though.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
I'm going to use my F18 in the unlimited class. It's not significantly faster than my 12'2" since it's a Maliko shape--made for planing-but it's very stable. I fell numerous times last year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
Just a side note for all participants...after a few changes in the course design to appease the "powers that be", looks like we will be having a beach START and FINISH(depending on race day conditions).  Last year there was well over 200 people in the open race.  THis year, there could be fewer due to a slightly higher race fee and the economy, but I doubt it!  If they get as many as last year or even a few more, should be a rather interesting start with 250-300 people all lined up on the shore and then sliding into the water on the way to the first mark.
I am kinda chuckling and scratching my head wondering how that is going to go, but I am sure it will be exciting....thoughts?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »
Can't wait to see the video of that beach start.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »
Some of the races on Maui start with a beach start. It's a great opportunity to crash into a bunch of people. I ran right over someone's board at the Kehei pier to Makenna race. I think it might have been Tracy "noworries" Dudley, but my memory sucks.

With 200 people it should be absolute bedlam. I will plan on cheating.

Dasurfclub

• Malibu Status
  • "Get Out There and Paddle"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38:14 AM »
I'm going to do the Age Group race also. I'm having a new 14' Infinity shaped for me, which I'm really excited about.

I agree that the start will be absolute craziness...

See everyone there.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
I have never raced before and don't have a clue... but I will probably come down for the ALHOA after the morning surf, check things out and meet some zoners ... Maybe if I ask Jim Terrell really nicely, he will let me borrow a board.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
did the open last year.  doing the elite this year.  someone has to come in last  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »
good on ya. I'm bringing along the 12'2" starboard in case any zoners need a sled.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »
Okay Pono...

I am on it... age group and distance... total rookie newbie clueless fool... but what the heck.  If I can't wrangle a distance board, I will be going full tilt on a one million pound fibergalss eleven foot longboard... Going to luau with super hot wife and son...

I think zoners should wear an article of clothing for easy identification... like a feather boa or something...

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:10:19 AM »
Really wish I could go - - but Snowboard season is starting - and I was just in San Diego at ASR - then Oahu at the Volcom Pipe house . . . so my "off days" are used up till January.

Have fun everyone - say hi to my brother Scott at the Starboard tent.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
I'm easy to spot without a boa--big fat geezer.

Matt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
Anyone know of the closest hotels to the race start area?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal