Author Topic: P.B. Bums  (Read 4491 times)

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
P.B. Bums
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
I know there must be a handful of zoners from San Diego and I guess I have a few comments or concerns for you all. 

I live right above Tourmaline Beach where many beginners surf and there happens to be SUPers in the water on most days (especially early AM).  I generally surf somewhere between Tourmo and the reefs to the north along the way to Bird Rock.  I know there are lots of hot-headed surfers in SD (and probably everywhere), but today I got to experience some new HATRED toward SUPers. 

I had a quick window this afternoon to get in a paddle and went straight out to the Point.  There were only 2 other longboarders, and with a rising tide waves were merely crumbling and not very "rippable" for most surfers.  The two of them had no problems with me, and I would give them any waves they wanted and often let them know if there were any sets coming through.  However, every time I caught a wave the "bums" (they might not actually be bums) that sit on the rocks would start yelling at me to go back to Tourmaline and then one or two of them started throwing rocks at me while I was riding waves and paddling back to the peak.  I have no problem with taking the verbal abuse, but as soon as rocks started flying my way I wanted to go on shore and smack some sense into these fools. 

Am I missing something??? I have only been on my SUP for 2 months now (but feel like I have good control of myself and my board in the surf and on a wave).  I have been surfing my entire life, and in many places all around the world.  Was an ocean lifeguard in CA for 6 years.  This summer I was given a 9'9" Hobie SUP and had never considered trying it before.  Since then, I am out paddling or riding waves almost everyday.  When I started I thought I would only SUP when it was flat or too crowded in the summers, but the more I catch and ride waves and experience being upright for entire sessions at a time, the more I really really enjoy it and think that it is one of the most complete ocean, water, and full-body activity I've tried. 

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is some sort of implied "blackball" for SUPers at certain breaks?  I understand I won't be caught dead on my SUP out at Windansea or Big Rock, but these sports near my house are more suited for SUP than any other wave riding device.  In fact, I feel much safer and better off at the Point or around the reefs than I do with all the beginning surfers hanging out at Tourmo.  Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts and wondering if I should just avoid this spot from now on, and paddle around the point to the north where the bums can see me nor throw rocks.

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: P.B. Bums
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Don't know what to tell ya....sounds like you're doing everything right.

Only thing I can suggest is go to breaks out of range of the rock throwers.  ???

If you ever make it to Maui, I know lots of places way out of range...not even slingshots brah. ;D

Randy

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »
haha, well i can't wait to join you on some surf out there.  these guys can't hit me... i'm too quick... or, they're too drunk.  oh well, i will keep riding there since it is walking distance. 

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »
Shoots, if that was me, anytime someone wants to pysically hurt me they got somethig coming, especially if I am minding my own business and not doing anything to anybody. I'd have a friend be the bait, have him go SUP there, and I'd be on the cliff waiting for those weak donkeys to start throwing rocks, then i'd go push them over the cliff.

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
Welcome to "the Point",  Meet the rock-people.  Let me assure you that it wasn't you personally or even that you were on an SUP.  It was just that you were out at the point.  This is nothing new and has been going on for ,not years, but decades.  I think these are the off spring of the original point a**holes from when I was a kid in the mid-60's. I surf Tourmo almost everyday in the am and if you notice I rarely go over there.,  It's just not worth the hassle.  Because you were out later in the day, after the morning drunk wore off,  you were more of a verbal target.  I have seen another surf shop owner get call out here for SUP'ing, as well as another surf shop owner calling out others.  I choose no to get  involved.
  We have confronted them occasionally and they usually back off unless they are grouped.  If they paddle out on you they will do everything they can to disrupt your session.  This goes for longboarders as well as anyone else they deem to be intruding.  Never lose your board here they will trash it.
 The bearded guy is Chuck and he is one of the worst,  The black dude is Marty (the so called mayor)
 It is a hang out for illegal drinking and mostly pot use.   The life guards can't do much because it is a very rocky location and the SDPD can't get to them because of visability.  They see them coming from a long ways away.  
We know who they are. We know what they do.  And until there is a concerted effort to rid the beach of them they will just continue to be there uncheck and be jerks.  It is best to either surf in small groups or just avoid the place and them altogether.
 It is a sad statement of our times that this is allowed to happen.  
 As far as surfing at Turmo with all the bigginers and crowds, well just think of them as a slolem course. ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:07:05 AM by surfcal »

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
Mana Karma, I know exactly what you're talking about and Bob provided a great insight on the whole ordeal. 

I've surfed the point a few times when it's been good on solid swells (early in the AM).  I don't really go to Tourmaline unless I can make it there super early on a bigger swell and when I do, I usually surf north of the "main" peak.  Often times, I'll paddle out to the point to get a few when no one is out there.  I've heard them yelling at me before while I was out there, but it wasn't a big deal and I never had them throw rocks (maybe the morning drunk was still in effect, like Bob said... thank goodness).

I guess we should be surfing just out of rock throwing range from now on  ;D 

hopefully I'll see you and Bob out there some time! there's another member on here (chipmonk) who also surfs out at Tourmaline on occasion.

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »
Hola amigos,

Bob -- i'm assuming you are the Bob of Bob's Mission Surf Shop?  If so, I came by and you've hooked me up with my quickblade paddle and various other needs.  Saw you out this morning and rode by on my red Hobie and waved "hi."  None of my friends SUP so I'm always paddling out alone (which is good and bad).  I decided to just get my workout in and paddled back out to the point for a couple dribblers over the rocks... nothing great, but still fun as always.  The drunks were not in effect yet and were still up above the steps -- so I only received a little verbal abuse when I connected through to the inside.  

I don't like the idea of having to avoid any break, and it is especially annoying to have people harassing those in the h2o from dry land.  If they really have a problem they should jump on a board, paddle out, and drop in deep -- oh well.  Those of you SUPing this area, maybe we can coordinate and share some waves at one of the peeks around those reefs between the point and bird rock when there isn't too many surfers on it?  I would look forward to riding waves with others and learning some new technique and having some good times...

going to others spots does not sound good to me since going here requires no car, no gas, and no extra wasted time with that hassle --- i just open my garage, grab my board and paddle and get my waves

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »
Yep, that's me. There were two guys besides Chipmonk, this morning, One on the inside on a red board that I paddled past and one bare back on a red board going  to the point, I assume that was you.  If I didn't wave back  it might be that you were already too far away when you past.  Later two of my shop guys paddled up from the pier  then went back.
 I'll be out again tomorrow.

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
yup, the latter was me... hopefully see you again tomorrow

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Well, yes...the point.  I felt that the day that you mention was kind a turning point for that area. It was the very first day that I saw SUP out at the point when it was actually working.

Yes, I saw you there. I almost said something because I hadnt seen you before in that area.  You definitely have that board until control, but that's really not the point.  And my personal opinion is that the Point will not be for SUP. However, the inside of the point is a great spot.  I said hello to you there, and was on a white SUP.  I kept to the inside edge of the point where on the higher tides there will still be quite a few waves.

I surfed a shortboard at the point for several years, and feel I have a good sense of the vibe and how to not have confrontation. Even surfing a longboard there is something that is frowned upon, unless you are low key.  I do not believe that the Point is appropriate for SUP unless there are no surfers there.   I know that others have a different opinion.  However, those people are going to be in for a rough time. The next day AFTER that day I saw a number of other SUP surfers there.  I believe that it would be better for us if we would cede that spot to shortboarders.  There are so many other peaks in that one mile stretch that simply cannot be ridden by a shortboard. In addition, that spot does have history as Surfcal aludes to, and there is a hierarchy there that needs to be paid attention to if you surf there.  The chance of getting to a place on that hierarchy on a stand up board is zero.

Anyway, I really appreciate you asking about it. I'm sure I'll see out there soon!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
San Diego Zoners,

I don't know my geography too well but SUP the PB area when morning business takes me down there.  I generally paddle out a few hundred yards south of the Crystal Pier and then work my way north and go back and forth between the pier and the Catamaran (I know, it is on the bay, but it's a good landmark).  I get vibed by pretty much all of the locals but try to move around as much as I can, smile, and throw aloha back to the grouchies.  The funny thing is that PB is a great standup wave.  I usually only get out down there about twice a month... I will be on it Monday morning as I have court in San Diego Monday morning.

I have gone up to the point on a few windy stormy days... super fun... no one out... when folks paddle out, I just paddle back to PB unless they are super friendly.

Bob has hooked my up with leashes, magazines, T-shirts... (I am a sucker for a cool surf shop).  Bob, I am the guy who is always wearing a goofy suit and Roger Hinds' friend.

It seems like it is more tolerated at PB because there are so many beginners and tourists there... but the "locals" are really, really grouchy (at least to me.)  No worries though, I throw the Aloha anyway.

Anyway, see you guys in the water some time.

I'm usually trunking it... or wearing a short john if it's cold... riding a green and white 9'5" (Country) or an 8'0" white with orange rails (C4), or a 9'1" clear House (if it is good).

SL (Tim)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »
Goofy suit........

I'll be out Monday about 6:30am  Turmo

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Classic.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Bob,

Wife was sick this a.m. ... barely made it to court on time... I will let you know next time I am down.  Should be soon.

Tim

NCBA

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
My best SD session I've had was at PB point on a 10'6"C4 I rented from Bob @ Mission Surf a year ago. I plan on doing again Thanksgiving. It seems to be easier to manage on bigger days with the sets breaking far out. I've tried surfing there with my shortboard and was out gunned by the longboarders. You couldn't find a better big board spot. Thanks Bob for all the SUP support. By the way, what boards are you renting now?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal