Author Topic: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS  (Read 21408 times)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »
Much better...........Now glassing the tail would be much more easier to tend to. (IMAO) Keep up the good work   :D :D :D

Aloha..........Sam
Is there a doctor in the house?.........cause this board looks "sick"

ummm, ya there is a doctor in the house...Hah

kirk_mcginty2009

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
just curious what fin placement dimensions you went with?  board looks great!

kirk

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:36 AM »
Hey Kirk, I went with "ByronDesigns" very informative instructions in this thread:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4781.msg45723#msg45723

I'd like to thank him as there is no way I would have done this correctly without his advice. :)

but, i think he may have changed his log-in name.... ???

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Quad SUPfish is finally rolling off the production line..... PICS
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
Only one last step to go.....still have to add the logo :)

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
Nice
What's the final glassing schedule and finished weight?
Karl

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:45 AM »
 Sweet shape there, aircube.  Like the Futures you chose, too...   Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
well done!  sweet stick.... I like sample  :D  hope to see some action shots.
Let me ask ya,what kinda paint did you use? looks great.

Shawn

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
Great looking board and really nice documentation.  Did you get the final color by tinting the resin, or did you paint it.  If you chose paint over tint, what was the reason?

Nice work!

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
thanks for the feedback.  i have had it out once and it feels fantastic on a wave  ;D,  but it sure is super tippy for me to paddle back out.....lol, guess i'll get used to it

The glassing sched was 2x6 bottom, 3x6 top with pine veneer on deck, theres also a 8oz x2or3" rail tape.  Its a heavy layup even using vacbag, about 23-24lbs with fins and pad.(board alone is about 21lbs)  We have wind generated swell and we often go out in 25-35 knots sideon and have been finding that weight is your friend in these conditions.  plus it will go for years without heel dents, which i can't say is true for my starboards.  I am pretty sure i could get away with a 4/6 bottom and a 6/4/4 or 6/6/4 top and it would have been in the 19-21 lbs range.

have you used the Futures K1 K2's JD?  i'd really like to hear some comments on them.  Basically I was going for maximum tail power and drive in small waves, hence the quad keel fins.  Kept the rails parallel, the tail wide and used a big guy fish rocker, but tapered the rails really thin.

The paint is a polyurethane based Marine product, the thinner/reducer is Xylene so its easy to work with and gives a very glossy hard durable surface.  I chose to paint over tinting the res or painting the blank so that I could use additional materials like the pine veneer and the rail tape without having to worry about cosmetic outcomes after bagging.  

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
Aircube,

I use the Future K1 Keel fins in a quad setup and love the feel.  I have them on a 10' board with  future 425 trailers and they work great in the small stuff and the big stuff.  They turn great and hold in bigger waves.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
 I don't have a quad but do use the Sea Sheppard Futures on my Xanudu 6' Twin Fin Fish and love them on it... I have custom made keels on my Nah Skwell 7'8 Fish SUP that look very close to your Futures...   Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

VIPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »
WOW, looks great.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
Sweet!
How does it Surf?

Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
Its a heck of a lot smaller than my whopper, so balance was a big issue on the first day.  I was having trouble paddling it on my knees at first, ha.  Second time out after about an hour of knee paddling I was able to stand and paddle it onto a wave to take off.  Feels very much like a shortboard in that theres very little trimming to do, either theres enough power in the wave or there isn't.  Turning while surfing feels great and i was able to go from rail to rail very quick and smooth.  Both days I have had it out have been smaller than I built it for, but I just had to try it out. ;D

I'll update when I get out on a decent day.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Finally got out on a decent day on the garage-made 8'2 SUPfish.  Last fall i was lucky enough to have a couple rides before winter and I felt that 4 futures twins was a bit too much fin area and a bit draggy, so I bought a set of Simon Anderson Quads SA4 and wow are they fast.  i am quite certain i could loose another inch off the rears yet. 

You'll have to take this review with a grain of salt...well maybe an entire saltlick cuz  although i have wavesailed for years surfing/suping is new in the last couple of years so i'm used to having a ton of reserve windpower in my hands to get through sections and drive up the face.  the whole surfing thing is similar yet so much different.

the board...the good:
The board was super fun, it takes a larger wave than the whopper to get going, but once on the wave the rides were fast and furious.  This is the first sup that i have riden that i was able to pump and lean forward/backward to accelerate and slow down.  I was able to cut quite hard and the super thin rails and tail allowed me to lean back and stomp on the tail to stall at the top of a floater.

the bad: i was paddling back out on my knees, it was a crazy windy day (30-42 knots) and so i left standing up until the very last minute.  on one drop i stepped back onto the stomp pad on felt that I planted my foot right ontop of the back lip, so i may have placed the kicktail to far back....but not too concerned as it only happened once and i think it may have been a bit too far back on the thin tail, so it may be fine, time on the water will tell, so much going through your head on your first good session on a new board.    one thing i would do differently next time is build a little lighter, its 23lbs including pad and fins, but could have easily been 17-18 and plenty strong.  I built it bomber to take abuse, but i realize that the layup was overkill.  23 is fine, but i think the pumping would be livlier at 17ish.

the Good...again :  Man I can't wait for another session on this board, it felt so much more like a high wind wavesailing short board, really pivoty, fast and drivey.  Definatley the most fun SUP board i have ridden to date, that said I have only riden a couple of Starboards, a PSH and two other 10'rs in Kauai.  Now i've got the shortboard bug and REALLY want to try several small boards.

Now i just gotta work on my balance in  chop and wind so i can standup during the paddle back out. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal