Author Topic: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS  (Read 21363 times)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »
reshaped the tail a bit, made it a bit narrower and beveled the sides of the fishtail.

not sure if i hsould leave it beveled, or if i should round it out. ???

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »
Aloha Colin,
The tail looks great!......I see you beveled it. Something you may want to think about is blending/ taking down those shape edges. When glassing the cloth (if not tucked under good) don't take to well to hard corners. It will tend to leave air bubbles..........Well experience glasser can deal with it, I can't................Plus it looks better.

Keep up the good work....This board is starting to look sick.........Right on!!

Aloha.........Sam

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Yo, took an inch off the one foot off width and rounded out the fishtail.

Here are some updated pics:

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
Much better...........Now glassing the tail would be much more easier to tend to. (IMAO) Keep up the good work   :D :D :D

Aloha..........Sam
Is there a doctor in the house?.........cause this board looks "sick"

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »
Thanks man,

Getting ready to bag tonight,  I added a balsa block nose with sheeting top and bottom.  I am adding a light pine veneer on the top deck.

Gettin' stoked about trying it.  Our season ends soon here, so i'm in a hurry to finish.  If I don't finish I'll have to fly to HA this Dec and try it ! Ha, what a shame that would be... ;D

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
Hey aircube,

Pleeeease take plenty of photos of the bagging, that thing is going to be awesome!

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »
Thanks,  have you bagged before?  Is there anything in particular you'd like pics of?

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »
Haven't done any bagging, it's mainly the preparation stages of the glass resin mesh etc just before it goes into the bag that I'm keen to learn about. Just seems like it would be so hard to get everything in place and have it stay that way as you put it all into the bag.

It's like all these things, I know the theory but it's the little tricks that make all the difference.

Anything will be very welcome!

Thanks very much.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:02 AM »
http://www.nelsonfactory.com/en/the-factory/virtual-tour.php

Watch these videos to see vacuum bagging done by pros. I'm attempting to copy their process exactly on the current board I'm building, just to understand why they do it this way.

I was once told on an engineering project to copy a competitors design exactly, until we understood why they did it that way, better than they did. I'm following that lesson.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:09:58 AM by DW »

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
Haven't done any bagging, it's mainly the preparation stages of the glass resin mesh etc just before it goes into the bag that I'm keen to learn about. Just seems like it would be so hard to get everything in place and have it stay that way as you put it all into the bag.

It's like all these things, I know the theory but it's the little tricks that make all the difference.

Anything will be very welcome!

Thanks very much.

Hey Jonathan, basically do your layup, then add a peelply layer then a bleeder layer, then tape everything down with masking tape, silde it in the bag, slide a seperator/diffuser of some type into spread out the vaccuum, i use a strip marine carpet for this, because it has a stiff backing, so its easy to slide into place.  Seal up the bag and let'r rip!

We tryed all kinds of ways to seal bags.  We used cualking, sealant strips, duct tape, and bought rods with the clamp system, etc.  What I find works best is the simplest;  I make a slit about 1-2 feet from the end of the bag that runs  about 6" from each side.  I slide everything  taking care not to rip the bag open further, and then I place the slit on a flat table or the floor and place a piece of thick clear tape over top!  Its fast, reusable and it does't leak.

I make my bags out of 6mil sheathing poly and I seal the seams with sheathing tape, it sticks liek crazy and its cheap.  You can buy a huge roll of the bag material and the tape for 35$ or less. it will make about 6 10' bags, so it's like 5-6$ for a bag....beats the heck out of paying 2-300$ for one.

the bags  can be used multiple times, eventually it will get a hole and you'll either have to find it and repair it, or make a new $6 bag.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
http://www.nelsonfactory.com/en/the-factory/virtual-tour.php

Watch these videos to see vacuum bagging done by pros. I'm attempting to copy their process exactly on the current board I'm building, just to understand why they do it this way.

I was once told on an engineering project to copy a competitors design exactly, until we understood why they did it that way, better than they did. I'm following that lesson.

thanks DW, theres a lot of info in those vids, I'm downloading all of them right now.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
First bagging is curing.  I decided to go with a single layer of glass and a thin pine veneer for extra reinforcement on the deck.  1. wetted out glass 2.  placed veneer  3. Placed Peelply and taped (i use lots of tape)  4. Slid board in bag 5. placed marine carpet b/w fittings  and board.  6. sealed bag 7. vaccuumed  for 8 hours...so far, still going.

Did't bother with bleeder for this bagging, they veneer covered the glass, so there would be no excess resin to absorb.

Next up will be 2 layers of glass on the bottom which will lap up to the veneer and then 2 or 3 layers on top.  I'm thinking of adding carbon rails as well, but might be more pain than gain.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »
Routed and glassed in Quad Future Fins Boxes this evening.  I went with Byron's recomendations  for placement, toe-in and cant.

thanks Byron.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 03:20:15 PM »
Looks good Colin
Nice collection of used "rubbers" you have there on the floor!   ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
Hah, thanks.  I'm  kinda deformed....... :o

Would you believe those are ALL from just setting the quad boxes!!! I have a nasty habit of changing gloves every minute or so, because I don't like to get epoxy on anything else I touch and I hate working with slippery hands.

I use a ton of tape as well, I feel bad, perhaps i'm responsible for the reckless clearcutting of the "Tape and glove" tree.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard