Author Topic: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS  (Read 21410 times)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »
Hey, hotwired the rocker and outline of my SUPfish last night.  This afternoon i went to town with the power planer and surform.    I went super thin on the rails in the tail section, they progress to fairly full in the mid section and then taper down in the nose.    I added a bit more width and thickness (after chatting with Sam) Bumped up the numbers to 4 3/4" thick and 30" wide, so thats the reason i really thined out the tail.  Went with quite a bit of "V" starting at about 36" from the tail.
Just have to touch up a few things and do a final sand and its glass-time  ;D

Any constructive comments before i glass?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUPfish is gettin there, almost ready to glass. PICS
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »
what is length? the tail looks sick. i have a hard time tapering tails did u just sand it til where u wanted it?

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:51 AM »
thanks man,

Once the Balsa nose block is epoxied on it will be 8' (ish)

I start with full passes with the power planer.  Then I switch to a surform, i always try to go the whole length with all my passes.  Short passes for me would be 3-4 feet.   I finsh the tail at eye level with the surform in one hand doing about 2' passes front to back.  Then finish up with 40 Grit shhet of sandpaper which i hold with the tips of my fingers and drag the full length of the board front to back.

The rails in the tail section were definitley inspried by my favorite windsurfing board wave shape the Mistral 253 (its too bad the wicked shape of the 253 did't hold up to its performance potential, it did't last long)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
man i gotta see pics as u move along looks great, cant wait to see glassing. im doing my 1st board as we speak the tail has been giving me trouble for i dont want to take to much off but want it a little thinner.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
Ya, go slow, its hard to put it back on…

What are you building?  Pics? 

The only reason I went that thin in the tail rails is the tail is extremely wide and the boards almost 5” thick.  Our waves have very little power in them so I am really trying to maximize the power/drive potential of this board in knee to chest high.  I am putting four wide based  keel fins on it as well to max out the low end.  I figure if I don’t make the rails knife edge at the tail theres no way it would turn.   The rails are a lot thicker in center.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »
looks very nice

one comment

with those rails the deck is looking very domed on the tail
you need to think about foot placement and a pad

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:55 AM »
im making a super fish 5'10 not yet ready to make a stand up. its coming a long pretty good i took a little to much off on one side but i fixed it. ill get some pics.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:36:21 AM »
mmmm  true, any  ideas about rear pad placement?  Sam suggested waxing the board and trying it out first.  Ha, problem is it may stay waxed for quite a while, as i don't think i am capable of ripping it on there just yet..

Pics are decieving though the flat section along the centerline is pretty wide, but depending on where it goes, perhaps i might need wedges??

Ha, I wish I was closer to some of you guys so somone could test it out for me.  At my level I am thinking that it will be a while before I have the skills to know where the kick pad should go.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
where are u? id put lick pad as far back as possible for late drops and back foot maneuvers.  but just my preference. good luck.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »
Colin,
mmmm  true, any  ideas about rear pad placement?  Sam suggested waxing the board and trying it out first.  Ha, problem is it may stay waxed for quite a while, as i don't think i am capable of ripping it on there just yet..

Pics are decieving though the flat section along the centerline is pretty wide, but depending on where it goes, perhaps i might need wedges??

Ha, I wish I was closer to some of you guys so somone could test it out for me.  At my level I am thinking that it will be a while before I have the skills to know where the kick pad should go.
Theres always this method..........Maybe try this!

Here's my first short board called the "Manta Ray" 8'x 36"x 2-7/8"
Sam Pa'e 8-0 Stand Up Paddle Board

Hope this helps........Good luck!

Aloha........Sam

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
id like to see that 8ft board surf looks sick also lets see the smaller one.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »
Heres some more pics of the rails.  First one is from just behind the winger forward, second is just in front of the wingers and the last one is a pic of the rail in the mid/standing area.  All are right side looking forward.

Heres some pics of the Greenlight Goretex Vent/leash-plug

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »
Aloha Colin,
I really dig the design. I think your shape is great!..........I like the outline with double wing......The rails are tapered perfect.

Hey......can you show pics of the tail and how your going to blend it in?.........This board looks sick!

Keep up the good work..........And don't forget to post more pics.

Aloha........Sam

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks Sam,   

What do you mean by blending in the tail.  Are you talking about blending in the sharp 90deg cuts in the "V" split in the tail?

By the way, thanks for your help, I problably would have gone 28"Wide if i did't chat with you about it.  28  would have been a mistake for my weight in our conditions for sure.  Same with adding the extra thickness, I would't have felt as comfortable going that thin in the rails unless the board was close to 5" thick.

Mahalos

Colin

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
What do you mean by blending in the tail.  Are you talking about blending in the sharp 90deg cuts in the "V" split in the tail?
Yes......the tail area........are you going to taper it as you did the rail?...If you do? I think it would look great.

By the way, thanks for your help, I problably would have gone 28"Wide if i did't chat with you about it.  28  would have been a mistake for my weight in our conditions for sure.  Same with adding the extra thickness, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable going that thin in the rails unless the board was close to 5" thick.
Hey the pleasures all mine.......I just want to help share the stoke with everyone........

If your willing to try...then I'm willing help........and we all can have fun   :) :)

Aloha........Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal