Author Topic: Arches on feet killing me???  (Read 34108 times)

Michka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Arches on feet killing me???
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 07:00:15 AM »
hi

maybe the dome deck of the laird is not helping you, and is pushing your feet to the extern of the board???? just an guess.

Michka

www.supcenter.es

JimMcIlvaine

• Waikiki Status
  • World's Longest Paddle?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:06:20 PM »
I had severe plantar faciitis in both feet about ten years ago.  People with high arches, who spend a lot of time going barefoot are very prone to having this type of problem.  We tried everything- huge amounts of anti-inflammatories, ice, stim, ultrasound, cortizone, massage, accupuncture and nothing was working.  We were actually hoping the plantar facia would rupture, because when they do they tend to heal looser and don't cause future problems.  The cortizone injections can sometimes encourage this to happen, but it didn't work for me.

Then, my trainer found some ultra-stiff carbon fiber inserts for my shoes and asked me to wear them under my orthotics.  Within two days, the symptoms were gone.

After that, we ordered shoes without air soles and had the soles sliced off and inserted plates from heel to toe and glued the soles back on.  The shoes have virtually no flex in them at all and I've never had a problem since.  

Does this translate to an application in the water?  Maybe.  If you wear boots, but they give on the top, your foot will still flex inside the boot, even if the bottom doesn't flex.  If it's a much tighter fit across the top of your foot, this could help.  This may sound odd, but if you get desperate enough, you might consider wearing tennis shoes in the water, with the type of insert I mentioned.

Wakeskaters routinely wear tennis shoes in the water and use grip tape on their boards, just like that found on skateboards.  That might be a bit uncomfortable if you're laying on the board, but if you're standing almost all the time, it might be worth considering.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see whitewater SUP guys start exploring this in the near future.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:11:25 PM by JimMcIlvaine »

Randall

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
I've been a Certified Pedorthist for twenty years, specializing in sports orthotics. I've analyzed SUP foot pain thoroughly, in fact, I can get numb in the forefoot after about an hour of hard paddling and not paying attention to my stance.  Plantar Fasciitis is the most common ailment I see but there are many variables and types of strain.  Each person needs some analysis to give exact advice but there are some general guidelines. The interesting thing is that the optimal use of your foot involves correct bio-mechanics. This not only eliminates strain but provides the best efficiency for paddling. Remember, you are holding the paddle with your hands, but the power goes all the way through your body and drives the board forward with your feet! The optimal load for paddling is to have more weight on the left foot when you are stroking on the left side, right foot when stroking on the right side. The load should be spread evenly on this foot between the front of the foot and the heel. The weight should also be focused on the lateral side (little-toe side) and achieved by laterally rotating the torso each stroke. If you're in an athletic stance and rotate your torso, its in sync with your paddle movement, it will also rotate your knee directly above your foot and in turn, rotate your foot toward the lateral (stronger) side. The most common error, causing strain, is too much weight on the front of the foot, not enough weight on the heel.  It takes confidence, balance, bent knees and bent ankles to put more weight on your heels, but do it! My foot blog has tons of info, connect at www.footform.com  my SUP blog too! www.StandupPaddleFlatwater.com

MKemDC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:26 AM »
Find an Active Release Provider (ART) It works the BEST! There is a reason every NFL team has one

KaiDogg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
ART sounds interesting.  I had all but given up on running in favor of SUP a couple of years ago due to chronic arch and shin pain.  Had issues with sore arches when I first started paddling, but it eventually cleared up.  However, every now and then, the condition would flare up, especially if I lay off of paddling for a while, say 3-4 weeks. 

I roll my feet over a golf ball and I press only as hard as I can stand the pain.  It hurts as all get-out, but it seems to help loosen up the fascia.

JeffBach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
Sorry for the pain you all mention, but I'm glad it's not just me :)

I'll join the achy foot club and am still looking for the reason why.  I do have flatter feet, but have never really had foot problems or even sore feet. So I was pretty bummed out to discover that my feet killed me after only a few minutes standing on the board.

I think tension is the culprit for me. Standing on a SUP is the ONLY thing I do where my feet are not moving.  My full weight is on them all the time in one unmoving position.  It is difficult to easily shift weight and change foot position. 

I think standing still, not moving my feet, with weight equally and statically distributed on them is the issue.  I'm hoping the answer is getting good enough on a SUP to move around more on the board and be able to change foot position on a frequent basis.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »
Bend your knees and ankles extremely and see if the pain goes away. An undignified squat works best. If it does it means you are putting all your weight on your forefoot, which will give anyone cramps. Moving around on the board will help, but getting a more balanced stance is what you need (assuming you don't have something that needs medical attention). You might try advancing your dominant foot a little and bending your knees when you first start out. Once your muscles are cramped it's tougher to get rid of.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

markthomas

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »
Get a tennis ball and roll the bottom of your feet, it's gonna hurt like hell at first.  After running a few marathons, this is almost a daily activity...rolling my feet.  On another note, I also use a foam roller to roll my back,calfs,hamstrings,quads.  Again, it hurts like hell at first.  Keep doing it and you'll be amazed of your progress.

webnrrd2k

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
I found that I got arch pain, too, for the first few months of SUping. In my case it went away on it's own, but I also make it a point to stretch every hour or two. If it's not too rough I'll stand up and touch my toes while on the board. I''ll also do a basic set of runners stretches, as best as I can while on the board. I find that I'm much less sore if I stop and stretch before I get too sore or tired. If I go too long I pay for it the next day, but  little stretching goes a long way if I do it regularly through the session.

Also, if I know I'm going to be really working hard I'll take an extended release Alleve before I go out. Again, a little goes a long way if I take it before I get sore. Alleve, just FYI, is an over-the-counter version of Naproxin. It's a much cheaper way to go than a prescription, and the extended release seems to help a lot.

Big Sal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 03:04:31 PM »
Yep, I got the same thing. I stop and rest from time to time, and actually wear running shoes with good arch support while paddling sometimes. It is hit and miss with me now, but I have arches you could drive a bus under. Support your feet, stretch, rest and... drugs baby!

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:47 AM »
Standing on a SUP is the ONLY thing I do where my feet are not moving.  My full weight is on them all the time in one unmoving position.  It is difficult to easily shift weight and change foot position. 

I've been playing with my board in the ocean trying to surf for good 1 hour to 90 min sessions without any issues.  This morning I just wanted to work on some basic paddle strokes and try to get a work out.  So I went to flat water and after 30 mins, my feet felt like they were falling asleep.    I was in the same foot position for the whole time.  I started moving my feet closer to a surf stance and alternating them.  Balance was tricky but my feet immediately felt better.

All the moving around when in waves to balance I guess it makes a difference.   I like to use thin wetsuit booties and was going to try barefoot next time but I think the moving around helped.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
Wow,

I just thought my foot muscles were getting massive...  ;D

I usually use a very small (for a big guy) board.  Very, very tippy.  My feet, calves, and quads are flexing and rolling the whole session (usually 2-4 hours).  If it is choppy, it is extreme bend, flex, roll the whole time.  I don't like to sit down, because I like the workout...

The bottoms of my feet hurt so badly that I can't walk regularly with bare feet on hard surfaces... this probably is not good.

Gonna try ice, Advil and using my heel a little bit more on the board.

Great thread, thanks for all of the advice.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Being fairly new to SUP, I was getting really sore feet in the beginning when I was constantly working on not falling.  Balance check after balance check caused the arches in my feet to burn.  I would have to sit and take a break and massage my feet.  Now that my balance is a lot better, the feet pain is not as bad except in conditions that once again is testing my balance limits.  I do find that moving my feet around helps prevent the pain and numbness.  I tried the Vibram KSO booties which seemed to help some, not sure if it's the better arch support or better grip on the deck.  The problem with the booties is that I'm not use to manuevering the rudder with them on.  I guess in time I'll get use to it but it's definetely easier barefooted. 

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 12:45:25 AM »

hey most common reason is that you tens up and glench your toes. Try to relax and it'll go away...good tip about bending knees etc.

For people that become numb, I think that happens when you do not move your feet. Or at least that is the case for me. If I move a little it goes away...

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
I guess since I started this thread and it's back again I'll give an update on my condition.  When I first started SUP'ing my arches hurt real bad for the first two months that I almost quit.  The pain slowly subsided until it no longer occured.  Now my arches feel great.

I think it was a combination of conditioning my feet to the stresses of SUP'ing.  I think I was tensing my toes too much, trying to grip the board with my feet, and this caused my feet to cramp up, mainly in my arches.

My feet feel great these days.  Now if I could just get the wind to stop putting that nasty chop on the water.

- Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal