Author Topic: Arches on feet killing me???  (Read 34172 times)

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Arches on feet killing me???
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
What gives?  The arches on my feet begin to hurt within a few minutes of beginning a SUP session, hurts like hell for about 30 minutes, then pain starts to subside.  Pain is so intense it almost drives me out of the water.  I've been SUP'ing about every other day for about two months now and still the pain.  Using a Laird Surftech with pad.  I've tried to relax toes, heels, nothing helps.

Any suggestions?

Mahalo.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Arches on feet killing me???
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
Hi PauHanaTX,
I thought I was the only one that got cramps in my arches. It used to be real bad. Now I can control it by pressing my feet firmly onto the deck of the board and trying to relax.
I have only been doing stand-up for 11 months now and my feet are getting more relaxed daily.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Hummm.. sounds kinda weird.. my feet go numb after about an hour or so but mostly the ball of the foot... not the arch.. Do you have flat feet? Foot problems any other times?

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
I still get that sore crampy arch even after SUPing for 3 years. It usually happens about 5 minutes after I start out, or after being out for a long time. I attribute it to a different position than what your fet is used to, epecially  just coming from work and being in cushy shoes all day. The feet is now gripping a board, arched with the deck contour of your board(If it isn't flat), a bit more tensed up than when you are normally walking or standing on land. What I find that helps a lot is at the first sign of sore or cramping, I sit on the board, wiggle my feet in the water to get the blood flowing and I'm good!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »
Plantar Fascitis. Try some arch supports in your regular shoes, do some foot stretches before you get on the board (raising onto your toes, flat foot stretch, etc.) and Ibuprofen. Every geezer knows this charming problem. Sometimes I can't walk down the stairs. Stretches help the most
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:17 AM »
I got this pretty bad when I started SUP. It got better after a few months but can still affect on longer paddles in flat water. I try and walk around the board a bit just to keep the feet moving and that seems to help.

Otherwise the advice in the previous comments is pretty spot on.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
I have always had foot problems and often wear soft gel orthodontics inside my booties.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
My feet killed me in the beginning too.    After a few months I thought stand up wasn't for me because my feet hurt so much.     I stopped for a few days, missed it, then tried again and the pain was gone.    I was so stoked!      Ever since then my feet feel good.    Not sure why it fixed itself.   At the time, I didn't do anything different.

Now I have happy feet.

TiltPilot

• Malibu Status
  • Go get wet..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »
i have that when i take a break of a week or so.  take a five min break on the outside and sit down.  i flex my foot and kneed it for a few minutes and it's gone.  hope that helps. 

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
All - Thanks for come-backs, 

My last two sessions have been relatively pain free.  Using a combination of advice.  Ibuprofin :45 minutes before session, massaging feet, breaks in the water, and stretching.  What I think is helping most is my stance.  I think I've been leaning too far forward on the fronts on my feet and I think it was causing the muscles to cramp.  I've been standing more upright and dispersing my weight more evenly on my feet and it feels way better.

Almost forgot, I'm getting up there (46), body not what it used to be.

- D   

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
I've got flat feet and used to really suffer from this in the early days. In my case I think the main problem was too much tension, trying to grip with my feet instead of just balancing. Feels a bit like I'm trying to turn my feet into the talons of an eagle holding onto prey.

Many of the farmers in Australia have sheep or cattle dogs that ride on little pack racks on the back of the quad bike or motor bike, all they have to hang onto is a hessian bag tied onto the rack - they kinda sit/squat really low and  manage to stay on over just about any terrain with this superb, fluid, weight spreading and balance.

So now whenever my feet (and shins) hurt, I think - am I gripping my prey or balancing like a sheep dog? As soon as I get the image of the dog going and get rid of the eagle the pain goes away!!

robus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
I also think it's the amount of grip being applied by the feet. I've got a tippy board and I'm gripping like crazy to try and stop from getting pitched off the board while waiting for a wave in a bit of chop. Feet start aching pretty quickly (unused muscles getting abused I imagine?). Get on my wider board and my feet are somewhat relaxed and no aches.

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 06:29:15 AM »
Try these:

http://aline.com/

They are water proof, bomber and you get a free 30 day trial.

I use them in my fall and winter booties. 

I use these or similar foot beds/orthotics in ski boots, running shoes, cycling shoes and power transfer, foot/ankle/knee alignment and comfort are all improved.

Good luck. 

Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
I always had this happen with a one piece factory installed pad on my first board.  I added a second board last week and chopped up the pad putting it on myself.  I've had two sessions on the new board and no problems.  I'm guessing the irregular pad layout helps circulation a little, but I'm no DR. 

caRRera

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »
I suffer from plantar fasciitis since 7 months ago. It was created by running on too rigid running shoes. I had to give up running and other impact sports, and suffer heavily when SUPing. I have to sit on the board every 20 minutes to give time to recover.

I tried everything, with no solution, so now I keep on low impact sports, stretch as much as I can or remember and hope to get rid of it as soon as possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal