Author Topic: Santa Cruz Dawn Patrol  (Read 2867 times)

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
Santa Cruz Dawn Patrol
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »
I like going out before the crowd, but this was just nuts foggy!
The pics are not that great, but I just wanted to show the boys back home what I deal with now that I live up here.
I sure do miss home!!

Byron check out the kelp shot!

Byronmaui

Re: Santa Cruz Dawn Patrol
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
That is some nasty looking stuff. How do you not get your leash stuck, fin full of kelp or drown in this conditions? You are really a warrior to go in that stuff IMO. I had the oppurtunity years ago to surf in santa cruz but it was so fricken cold I stayed in the car.. ;D ;D

I am guessing that is your PSH 12'0?

Aloha

Byron

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »
Ha ha ha...
It is freaking cold bro.  I use a 4 mm wetsuit and I still freeze.  I guess it's because I'm tropical  ;D
I actually use a 7ft leash to avoid the kelp tangle issue.  Plus I don't go to the nose anyway.

Nah...That's the 9'3" ripper...
This week is tiny, so I think the 12'0" will go out to play.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »
Cool or should I say cold!     On another note, a tip for the go pro shots.   Right before the set comes, spit in your fingers and rub it on the lens.   Dip the camera into the water and for a couple minutes water will bead off the lens and those pesky water spots won't be there...   

poppi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
Whew.....It looks cold.......

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
Thanks for the GoPro tip Blane!  I'll try that next time there's waves.

Yeah it's cold for us warm water guys.   The local SUP guys go trunking it with just a lycra!  They're nuts!
They say that you get use to the cold, but it hasn't happened yet for me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
Not likely Sam. You're too brown. It's just us fat white guys that don't mind cold water. I have a Hawaiian friend who has lived in Hood River for more than 20 years. Wears a wet suit to SUP even in hot weather because he MIGHT fall in. In contrast I windsurf in trunks and a T shirt and have to hang out in the 55 degree water frequently to get a water start after I blow a jibe. Of course part of my problem is just ego: I Look like an Orca in a wetsuit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
Hey Bill

It's the skinny guys too, or they're using a sleeveless shortjon!  Nuts I tell you...

Sam

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
Hehe...I think you need to be born into it...helps having a large size to surface ratio to....a.k.a....big.... ;D. I usually start trunking it here in april...water in the high 40's and air in the 60's on a good day. I get lots of strange looks...especially from the prone surfers that are still cold in their neoprene.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »
I suspect Hawaiian guys are marbled like beef while we haoles are like pork. A nice layer of blubber under the skin. Better for bacon too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal