Author Topic: Tony DaKines New 10' Ripper + More  (Read 9900 times)

Blane Chambers

Tony DaKines New 10' Ripper + More
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
Picked up these four today.    Been super busy lately...    I'll add more pics and lots of info soon when I have time...  All 4 of these are for bigger guys to rip on.    Not for the light weights.... 

Tony's 10 footer is the closest with the sick veneer work.    He's gonna be stoked.   

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
Re: Tony DaKines New 10' Ripper + More
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »
Beautiful boards.  I would love to able to get one. What are the sizes of the other boards in the photo?
 Any plans for a 10'6" ripper?

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »
nicest looking boards that ive seen!

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:35 AM »
Tony stoked for ya.

Aloha

Byron

poppi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »
SWEET  ;D,   Blane,  Are they still at the shop? Would'nt mind dropping by to check them out.
    Aloha

Blane Chambers

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
YES.    In my shaping room right now.

For Tony's board he wanted something that he can comfortably paddle in chop, get into solid waves early and still be able to rip turns.    He also wanted the option to run a Quad fin set up.

Little more info on these....

The goal with these types of shapes is to allow the heavier guys to shread.      We want to take things to another dimension....    Much, much higher level stuff than before for the heavier guys.     There are sooo many talented surfers over 200 lbs.    They need to paddle comfortably on a stable board and I want them to be able to lay out some huge carves.    Throw all their weight into turns.    At the same time a lighter beginner could EASILY paddle these.     They a very stable.

Austin with one of the 10' Wide Gun/Rippers.   One step closer to rounding out his winter quiver...   Same basic board as Tony's.  

Stewart checking out the hard edge on Tony's Board...    This boards veneer work came out insane.    It actually turns different shades as you walk around looking at it...        

Checking out a board I made for ultra high performance, big guy ripping.     If you ever saw his 240 lb son Stew Boy surf solid waves, you know that guy can put it on rail HARD.       I made this for him to destroy sections.

Talking about bottoms.   This is the smallest of the 4 but still a board that can paddle comfortably for a 200 lb person.    

Austins 10 footer.  

As time goes on veneer boards will be more available in our Hawaii store.    Just getting a few out for now but things will increase after I finish all the plugs for our new models to be molded...    

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:40:24 AM by Blane Chambers »

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
Aloha Blane,

Awesome boards & cool pics... Keep 'em coming!!

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

WaterSurge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Blane, I know a little about surfboard building and NOTHING about woodworking... But how the hell do you install the wood veneer on those boards?  ??? Unless you want to keep it secret, can you post some pictures of how you do it? And what's the main advantage of that construction? Light weight? Responsiveness, Durability?

BTW, Way to go for being innovative with that type of construction! They look great too...

BTW2, You seem to be building a lot of boards for bigger guys (and that's probably your main demographic), but don't forget the smaller guys! I'm looking to add a 10'6" to my quiver, for smaller/slower waves, but I'm afraid your 10'6" AAW would be way too thick (4 3/4") for me at 155 lbs (I prefer wider boards because I like to "relax" while standing on my board waiting for sets). A 10'6" by 30" by 4 1/4" would be just perfect, I reckon...  ;)

Serge

Byronmaui

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
You told me about those boards and they look good. Your yard must be the most photographed yard in SUP history and most manicured lawn in your neck of the woods. Even Austin has a nice clean hairdo for the pics.

Aloha

Byron

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
YES.    In my shaping room right now.

That is the board I have been waiting for!  Do you have any idea when I (on Kauai) could get one?

Blane Chambers

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »
Blane, I know a little about surfboard building and NOTHING about woodworking... But how the hell do you install the wood veneer on those boards?  ??? Unless you want to keep it secret, can you post some pictures of how you do it? And what's the main advantage of that construction? Light weight? Responsiveness, Durability?

BTW, Way to go for being innovative with that type of construction! They look great too...

BTW2, You seem to be building a lot of boards for bigger guys (and that's probably your main demographic), but don't forget the smaller guys! I'm looking to add a 10'6" to my quiver, for smaller/slower waves, but I'm afraid your 10'6" AAW would be way too thick (4 3/4") for me at 155 lbs (I prefer wider boards because I like to "relax" while standing on my board waiting for sets). A 10'6" by 30" by 4 1/4" would be just perfect, I reckon...  ;)

Serge

I don't do the wood veneer process.   I just shape the blanks then I take it to a friend.    He vacuum bags the veneers on.    In order, shaped blank, glass, wood veneer, glass.     They are strong, light and look good.   Performance wise they rip.       The obstacle is they look so cool that everyone has a hard time wanting to take it in the water.    They always talk about putting it on the wall...    Once they ride them, they are over that.   They surf really well.   

I make boards for all weights of people.      As time goes on they will be available.      What I got in the pipeline is a steady stream of very cool stuff for people ranging from less than 100 lbs to 300 lb people.    My goal is and always has been to make boards that work unreal and all the things needed to do that are falling into place right now...    Exciting times with PSH!   

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:52 AM »
I'm super stoked on the board Blane, Mahalo! Figures I'd leave for San Diego the day it's done lol.

I'm liking the 4 7/8" thickness. I didn't want to go over 10' long to minimize swing weight and not too wide either so I has to make up for the volume somewhere. Even with the thickness, the rails look great. This board is going to be my winter go to board for heavy country surf.

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Those boards look sick Blane.
Tony all you guys are super lucky.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
That is the board I have been waiting for!  Do you have any idea when I (on Kauai) could get one?

Well the ones in my room right now are thick and wide like the 10 footers above.    I just got a big order of blanks in and will start chipping away at the current back log of stuff.      I really don't like to give a time frame because everytime I do, something delays it...    All i can say with certainty is they are coming and I am trying hard to make them available before the first real swell on the NS arrives....

This is what my room looked like last night...   I have around 10 times this amount to work on.    Lots of work to do...   I LOVE IT!

Figures I'd leave for San Diego the day it's done lol.

Haha!   Yeah, while you're gone, I'll try not to surf it to much... ;D   

Stewart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
I got to handle all the boards in the pictures.  All I can say is that they are truly beautiful boards.  The beauty of the wooden veneers are that they are all unique.  Not one is identical to the other.  The shape may be the same, but the wood gives each board it's own identity.

The 9'3" X 29" X 4 7/8"' roundpins deck is unbelievable.  Blane said that the wood was involved in a fire, and the colors that were left on the wood are amazing.  My son Stewart-boy got this board.   It's the 2nd wood veneer prototype that he's ridden.  The current one he's using is the 9'2 X 29" X 4 7/8" with a diamond tail, and he says it's the best SUP he's ever ridden.  He recently told me that because of this board he no longer needs his 9'6" WA.  I'll post later about whag he thinks about the new roundpin veener once we get some waves.

Tony you are going to s**t when you see your board.  Amazing wood work on the bottom.  The shape looks killer.  Should work really well this winter.  I agree that a 10' - 10'6" ripper is needed for winter.

I got the 9'3" X 28 3/4" X 4 5/8" roundpin ripper in the picture.  It's the 3rd prototype in this size range that I've ridden.  I'm over of how nice it looks.  I've learned that they surf better than they look.  The #2 prototype surfs unreal.  I can't see improving it.  Blane told me to ride this one, says it will be better, hard to imagine, but he hasn't been wrong yet.  I'll keep you posted on how it works.
PSH Team Rider
Kialoa Team Rider
Maui Rippers Team Rider

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard