Author Topic: Broken board? ....No problem!....Give me duct tape & Glue  (Read 6507 times)

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Broken board? ....No problem!....Give me duct tape & Glue
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »
So Myron broke his board last week Saturday. On that big day the secret surf spot was showing heights of 6-8ft with some 10ft freaks.........Unfortunately he got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and the results are.........well you see the picture!!!

Well........I'll be attempting to put this board together.....it shouldn't be problem I'll just need a roll of duct tape & some glue to put this back together........No Problem........

Can it be done? ::) ::)      Stay tune and see! ;) ;)

Aloha......Sam

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Broken board? ....No problem!....Give me duct tape & Glue
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
Ok to fix this board I needed to find the flat's part of the board and lock it down on a table. After laying down some plastic I would duct tape the back half of the board to the table and shim the tail up so the tail rocker doesn't throw off my flat point. Now lay out the front half of the board and do the same. Keep in mind that shimming the board is key to correcting its rocker.

Now do a practice run, dry fit, check your alignment, and last but not lease.......Pray it will come out perfect (because it never does)....lol  :D :D

Now once your pretty confident that your stars are all lined up. Coat the foam with Gorilla Glue (this is the bomb) on the both side but don't add water until its put together. You see gorilla glue won't go off until you spray it with water. Now once you spayed it with water it will give you some time for adjustment!!! Now once your sure its there I like to add more glue by pouring it into the cracks and it will find it's way into any nick & cranny. Now once its starts to expand the foam glue "WILL"  find its way into any uneven voids you my have not lined-up or pieces of foam that may have been lost.. Now lock down the other half of the board with dock tape. I also tape the nose, "PULL" to board together and tape it along the rail....................This board ain't moving

Now I need to wait for the glue to cure......estimated time of fix.....4hrs

Next step.........clean up the expanded foam, remove the old glass, remove deck pad (thats a bitch), and replace any bad areas with good foam.......stay tuned

Aloha.......Sam

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »
You see gorilla glue won't go off until you spray it with water.

WHAT?!?!?!?!!!....are you KIDDING ME?!?!...oh crap ...i just threw away a big bottle of gorilla glue thinking "this stuff sucks...doesnt work...wont go off...wont harden"...thats what happens when you no read the directions...
 :D

i hope this repair works because i really like the concave in the bottom...looks fast...

also go check your hotmail...i sent you a message

kden

;D

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!?!!!....are you KIDDING ME?!?!...oh crap ...i just threw away a big bottle of gorilla glue thinking "this stuff sucks...doesn't work...wont go off...wont harden"...that's what happens when you no read the directions...
Quick!!!!.........go back and get it out of the trash...it's still good!!   lol......bra, your not the only one that didn't understand how this stuff works. My friend swear that this stuff sucks also!

Let me know when you come home.....your board will be waiting.... ;)

Aloha......Sam

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »
I LOVE Gorilla glue. Magic stuff.

I think you blew an opportunity to make a travel board though Sam. A scarf joint angle and a couple of pieces of carbon fiber tube and you're good to go. I did that to an old windsurfer years ago to fit it on a bush plane for some Alaskan windsurfing. The board worked better than my wet suit did. About froze to death
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »
Aloha Bill,
Yep......I think I blew that chance of a two piece traveling board....But I'm not that talented. Well who knows what the future holds......I never thought I'll be building boards.......LOL
I LOVE Gorilla glue. Magic stuff.

I think you blew an opportunity to make a travel board though Sam. A scarf joint angle and a couple of pieces of carbon fiber tube and you're good to go.
Yep this glue is magic!!!......What I like most about it is, it fills in all the voids, it gives you time to work, and when its dry it will bone to anything....As you can see its this traveled all over the place and filled in some area that was missing several pieces.

Now whats next........ prep area for new foam by cleaning the deck area, cut out the bad glass, remove the pad, and route out the old foam, and graft in a new piece.......shucks I need to take more pics....I'll be back!!!

Aloha.....Sam

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
Ok........Now that the glue has cured we need to remove all the old glass, route the old foam, and graft in a new peice. This will make life easier for glassing. Once the new piece of foam is glued in I'll improvise an alternative method to "vacuum bagging"......I'll take shrink wrap and tight wrap the foam to the board.........Let the glue go off......shape....and seal with thick-sil.

Next on the list........Glassing the deck!.....I'll post the next stage to this repair In a few days.....Later

Aloha........Sam

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »
Very cool Sam...I'd have thought that board was a goner. Gorilla glue is the bomb...been using it for woodworking for awhile but you need to be careful. Had it actually split the wood in a blind mortice and tenon joint when the expanding foam had nowhere to go...doh!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
What are those little tubes in the deck? Carry handle finger holes? Do they weaken the deck? Why did you cut the foam out around them?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
doing soemthing like this sems like fun and you
probably learn a lot doing it

but

honestly has it been worth it (discounting the above)
compared to making (or buying) a new board ?

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
Very cool Sam...I'd have thought that board was a goner. Gorilla glue is the bomb...been using it for woodworking for awhile but you need to be careful. Had it actually split the wood in a blind mortice and tenon joint when the expanding foam had nowhere to go...doh!
So true........if you don't monitor its progress this glue can be a nightmare...

What are those little tubes in the deck? Carry handle finger holes? Do they weaken the deck? Why did you cut the foam out around them?
Those are my signature finger holds........I routed around it not to disturb its integrity. Sure after sanding down the foam there will be some imperfection but thick-sil & epoxy fixed that.

doing soemthing like this sems like fun and you
probably learn a lot doing it
YES IT WAS FUN!!!!.......... but you really think I "probably learned a lot doing it"...Come on do you really think I jumped into this project without a game plan or jump into this "probably to learn from it".....GIVE ME A F**KIN BREAK!!!!!!!

honestly has it been worth it (discounting the above)
compared to making (or buying) a new board ?
HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!............I MEAN REALLY.........HONESTLY!!!!!!!   Lets see  ::) ::)   To build a board it will cost in the ball park of $600 to $700 in materials for an SUP. Cost me less then $50 to fix this board..........You do the math!!!...THERES NO COMPARISON

This board was built by Myron from scratch.......It has a significant place in his heart. I started fixing this board without his knowledge. Two days into this project he came over to visit and was shocked to see it put together. Looking at his heart felt smile on his face knowing he'll be able to surf again "on this board" and getting a big hug from him.............................................
THAT MY FRIEND IS F**KIN PRICLESS

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
This board was built by Myron from scratch.......It has a significant place in his heart. I started fixing this board without his knowledge. Two days into this project he came over to visit and was shocked to see it put together. Looking at his heart felt smile on his face knowing he'll be able to surf again "on this board" and getting a big hug from him.............................................
THAT MY FRIEND IS F**KIN PRICLESS

Nuff said...you're a good man Sam.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:31 AM »
Nuff said...you're a good man Sam.
Thanks Bob.........All I'm trying here is to share my knowledge with everyone. Maybe someone else may learn from this.........Making a New board would have been the easy way out....Honestly!!!!!

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
So here are more pics of the deck repair......We sealed, laid patches of 6oz cloth, laid peel-ply over the laminated cloth, and wrapped it with shrink wrap. After that hot & gloss and it done!!!

Now I'm at the home of this repair......Now all I need to do is the bottom & done...................I'll post more pics later

Aloha.........Sam

Mahana

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
It's looking good Sam! I bet Myron is dying to get it back in the water.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again