Author Topic: Broke my Kialoa yesterday  (Read 4108 times)

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Broke my Kialoa yesterday
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
Broke my Kialoa yesterday.  Not sure how it happened, but I have a witness (EastFL).  I really was just paddling to catch a wave and , SNAP!!  There was no previous damage that I could see but it ended my day short.

I got home and took a couple of photos ASAP and sent them off to Kialoa.  With 2hrs I got an email response back from Lisa at Kialoa and said  no problem.  Kialoa can replace the shafts on the paddle so I am good to go.  I just wanted to put out a big THANK YOU to Kialoa.  FIrst off tese are still the best paddles out there IMO.  But what is also important to me is EXCELLENT customer service and that is what Kialoa provides.  Its great that all they have to do is replace the shaft and I will be back in business.  

I did not see any other posts about this so this is why I posted this.  I know alot of people here would like to know when these things happen what will the company do.  Well Kialoa I can say has gone above and beyond.  Here are a couple of pics of the paddle.  This was my Shaka Pu'u

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:15:19 PM by motopilot »

markoffshore

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Broke my Kialoa yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
did you hear any noises comming from the paddle to suggest it was cracking?i have the nalu and recently have notice a sound like crackling noise every now and then.but i have a hand grip on the shaft so i cant check for cracks.i was thinking the noise was the blade hitting chips on the side of the board.i hope it doesnt snap out to sea tomorrow on a down winder im doing.

bledesma

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
My friend had his Kialoa paddle break in a similiar fashion and they replaced it. I agree, their customer service is top notch. I only use Kialoa and ride PSH boards and their customer service is a big part of that!

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »
Had two Kialoa's break. The first paddle I was paddling hard in a Nor'Easter and it snapped mid shaft,   they replaced it . The second break was a car ranning it over when it flew out of my truck.  I watched a SUV snap the shaft in half and fly 6-7 feet off the side of the road.  Called Kialoa , explained my issue and they said ''we can fix it''. I sent the blade to Kialoa and they are replacing a new shaft in my old blade.. Not costing too much..  Kialoa's Customer service exceeded my expectations.  I also want to note that there are a few other  SUP companies that care about their customers and also exceede customer satisfaction. Thats rare these days. 
  Mahalo to all those companies..
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
I agree and I give the guys at Kialoa two thumbs up..  ;D .. I've only heard of one breaking where I live and they were quick to replace it.

I'm not sure that posting pictures of a broken Kialoa is the right way to thanks them..  ;) ... just kidding..  ;D

DJ
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:30:10 PM by DavidJohn »

poppi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
Kialoa paddles is the only ones to get IMO. I have 4 of them   ;D it's all good
               Aloha

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
Kialoa paddles is the only ones to get IMO. I have 4 of them   ;D it's all good
               Aloha

Me too..  ;D

I was thinking about selling my big Nalu.. and yesterday I did a down-winder in about 30-40 knots and planing most of the way.

I used the Nalu for a change and it was brilliant.. So I guess it's a keeper..  ;D

DJ

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 05:48:11 PM »
Agree all.  They are a great company.  This is why I have PSH and Kialoa products.  And DJ, nah I was just showing the break as what happened.  All things break no matter what the manufacture says.  Its just nice to have the best product out and have the best company stand behind it.   :D

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:40:11 AM »
Interesting I snapped 2 shafts on a Nalu paddling in about 12 sessions, through different reasons the support was not that good. But I am a long way away in western australia. Needless to say I do not use Kialoa any more.
Yes they make little cracking noises before they go.

Chuck Patterson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about some of the shafts breaking, but sometimes these things happen. Every paddle company that makes SUP paddles deals with this all the time.
The great thing about Kialoa is that they stand behind their product 100% and their customer service is the very best.
I have been using and paddling Kialoa paddles for 4 years and have worked with them doing a lot of R&D on several different shafts and blades for racing and Big wave SUP surfing and I have been super stoked on everything Kialoa has made.
Dave Chun and his crew at Kialoa work very hard at building a quality product and they take great pride in making the customer happy.
Aloha,
Chuck P

WaterSurge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
I had a Surftech paddle that broke 2 years ago after only about 20 sessions, and they replaced it. When it broke, it did not give me any warning and broke while paddling for a wave. I only weigh 155lbs... This is another area where the designs and construction methods are slowly improving.

But I bought a Kialoa paddle after that and I'm very happy with it. Obviously, it has not broken (and I use it a lot); but I really like the slightly oval shape of the shaft.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal