Author Topic: Another great morning!!!  (Read 2233 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another great morning!!!
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:02 AM »
Well it happened again...great little waves shaped by the inlets up here in Northeast Florida.  Left the house about 7:15 this morning to go surfing with a friend, Bill (a SUP newbie). Headed up to the "secret spot" up on one of our barrier islands.  The "secret spot" is no longer a secret and when we arrived there were already 8-10 regualr surfers out.   Waves were small, waist high but with good form, groomed by a light off-shore wind. 
 Paddled out  right past all the the surfers and headed down the beach to the REAL SECRET SPOT where the shoreline bends into the inlet..(its only a couple of hundred yards but you can't drive down on the beach in this area.)  There, waiting to be ridden, were perfect, empty, waist high waves breaking along the point created by the shoreline curving into the inlet.  Although in sight distance of the "OLD secret spot" we had it for 2 hours, all to ourselves with no one up the beach apparently aware of the perfect peelers we had found...AaHHHH..... AREN'T SUPS GREAT!!! 
 And to make it even more special...while I was paddling out after a smoking little wave I saw a big black mass in the water about 30 feet away.  Might first thought was DAMN THATS A BIG SHARK!!!... but after checking it out a little more I realized that it was a big Manatee with its baby calf that had swam out the inlet for a little cruise up the coast...ISN'T MOTHER NATURE GREAT!!!  Tim

(and, by the way, I saw Bill catch the best waves he's ever ridden!!!)
All in all, another great morning.....

jashley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another great morning!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »
That is EXACTLY why stand up is so cool! Being able to paddle off to spots and have them all to yourself! Nice job!

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
Nice report.  Those are great morning to have to yourself.  Motopilot and I surfed fun liittle waves all week with no one else really out.  We're just a bit south of you guys in NE FL. 

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »
Hey EastFl...Sometime when you get a chance we need to get you up here!! If we can catch a clean day with even a small swell I can promise you an "adventure" you won't forget....Just need your promise to keep our "secret spots" secret!!!  Tim

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »
Tim:

Sounds like a plan.  A road trip for a different wave would be awesome.  Your secret will be safe here. 

I just got out of the water this morning.  I surfed about 2.5 hours in new smyrna.  A little size, but not really lining up well today.  Oh well, it was still a great morning. 

E

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
Hi Erik.  we've had a really good run of fun, quality surf up here the last 5-6 days...We've scored some great sessions, going to the right breaks at the right tides.  Yesterday there were seven Standup Paddle surfers out at one of the breaks we have pretty much to ourselves. Five of them paddled out to an outer shoal way out there and although the waves weren't hitting it just right the shark sightings created plenty of excitement. An inner sandbar was lining up really well and a good time was had by all.. I recommend you making a midweek trip if you can come up here...Guarranteed no crowds and a pick of several good breaks)  Anytime we get a 1 1/2+ swell (the bigger the better) and clean conditions we should have breaks that will be working.  E-maill me if your interested in making a trip sometime.... tde@terrellhogan.com ..Tim

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
You have to love those days where everything comes together to make a great time. Days like that get seared into the brain forever.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal