Author Topic: San Diego Paddle Surfers: This sport is ridiculous!  (Read 5766 times)

oarsurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
San Diego Paddle Surfers: This sport is ridiculous!
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:57 PM »
Howdy- I'm new to the forum but excited to participate. My name is John Ashley and I was invited here by Randy after he visited my paddlesurfing blog at www.paddlesurf.net . I'm excited to read through the forum and share in the excitement.

This sport is ridiculous. All the waves you want, all by yourself - in the middle of crowded San Diego. As you guys already know- it's not only possible but it's the norm. Thus, my assertion that this sport is ridiculous.

How do you feel about it?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Paddle Surfers: This sport is ridiculous!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:13 AM »
Thanks for stopping by.  Your blog is great.  So cool to see local scenes popping up and the same excitement we are noticing.  As for private waves, it may be the best thing about this sport.  I have started to think of it as surfing an area rather than a spot.  It is amazing how differently the same swell or wind direction can effect breaks only a few hundred yards apart.

Talk about getting it alone and making something from nothing, How's about this wave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZTPZBtRXxc

Christian70000

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »
Outstanding!  Your stoke is felt by use on the WFLA area.  Finally something that has to do w/surfing that requires no waves.  I've had a board for a very short time and can tell you I'm addicted.  How can I help bring the supplies needed to this area? 

Have a kick ass day!

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »
Hey I checked out paddlesurf.net the other day and i though that it was great - loved the Mex Trip and I was jealous-  Times like those to do not happen that often and things change

I love stand up- i was tired or the hassle in the line up eight years ago, wasnt get a great workout surfing and had to have more efficient work outs due to kids and extremely demanding work schedule. 

Stand up works great for me.  MY background in rowing and spend 20 years of my life sitting down and going backwards.  Stand up is amazing, we are forward facing creatures and nothing combines the simplicity of being on a board, having a six foot view with a great workout.

I usually paddle from torrey pines south hitting empty waves South towards scripps

To me it is not even about the waves, it is enjoyment of the ocean beyond the traditional line up.

I would be up for a SD get together anywhere

Cheers

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:01:04 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the positive response to my blog- I really didn't know if anybody really read the thing but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

An explanation: My user name was oarsurfer but I'm lame and forgot my password and couldn't log back in- since I was itching to reply I've created a new user name and password. I like my old handle (oarsurfer) so I'll try to follow the protocol and create another password for it.

I agree with the comments- the good feelings this sport creates must be something similar to how the early surfers felt- in the days when guys would stop their cars to get out and talk when they saw each other approaching from different directions.

I hope the good feelings stick- and, in my opinion, they will because we all feel a little bit goofy on the boards- goofy enough to not care if we miss a wave, or give a wave. Now I can't quantify or explain "goofy" but if you find yourself being just as stoked at pulling off a fully standing paddle out (through the shorepound standing) or just as stoked at finishing a ride cleanly by pulling off still standing as you do when you actually surf it then this might be what I'm describing as goofy.

It's just all so fun that it becomes easier to share- I agree with the guy who talked about how good it is just paddling way outside. One of my buddies Tim Stamps (shapes for Harbour long boards- know's his stuff- surfs insane) told me the exact same thing- he most enjoys getting out the back and cruising. So you got something there- and if your range is outside of Torrey Pines then your paddling in some beautiful water my friend.

It'd be fun to get some SD paddlers together- maybe before the end of summer? I would even suggest our flatwater spot here in the South Bay- we've got a very scantly used, dog friendly, grassy, warm water spot in the Coronado Cays called Grand Caribe Park- if you go to my blog, the photos of my wife's new board are taken on the lawn above the sandy beach there. It'd be fun to pass the word, fire up the bbq's, trade boards and go for some casual paddles.

Let me know- I'm all in!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal