Author Topic: Naish 9'6" - still State of the Art?  (Read 5474 times)

Mattdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish 9'6" - still State of the Art?
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
HI,

I am looking at sizing down to a Naish 9'6", for full price.  The reviews of a year ago are all huge raves.

Do you think it is worth waiting til fall for the New Naish lineup or not bother?   

Is the board bag it comes with as thick as a travel bag, or how many mil is it?

Cheers

board-boy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 9'6" - still State of the Art?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
The board bag is very light duty -- it consists of a polypropylene exterior with interior foam padding.  The foam "padding" is very thin and is bare on the inside of the bag -- meaning that the foam isn't protected by a layer of some sort of other material, so it can be easily torn.  The sharp nose on my Glide cut the interior foam to shreds.  The bag is an effective dust cover.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »
The board bag is very light duty -- it consists of a polypropylene exterior with interior foam padding.  The foam "padding" is very thin and is bare on the inside of the bag -- meaning that the foam isn't protected by a layer of some sort of other material, so it can be easily torn.  The sharp nose on my Glide cut the interior foam to shreds.  The bag is an effective dust cover.

Just peal all the foam stuff out and just use the cover as a shell.. Yeah it stops dust but it's also good when stacking boards and stopping scratches.

btw.. All the new Naish boards come with a much better quality cover.

I have many friends that rave about the 9'6" but if you're not too big I'd go for the 9'3" instead.

DJ

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
2010 Naish boards are on their website now

seasweeper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:46 AM »
HI,

I am looking at sizing down to a Naish 9'6", for full price.  The reviews of a year ago are all huge raves.

Do you think it is worth waiting til fall for the New Naish lineup or not bother?   

Is the board bag it comes with as thick as a travel bag, or how many mil is it?

Cheers

Why limit yourself to a Naish superseded model? There's plenty more out there worth considering. Not only from Naish, that has released their new lineup online (as noted above).

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:52:24 AM »
Got to say - I have had my Naish 9'3" since December last year - it just gets better and better - even getting to grips with it in now in very choppy adverse conditions - I honestly think that at the moment the only thing I would replace it with is    .          .        .       .     

Another one  ;D

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Matt,

If this is the Matt that I'm thinking of, on a lovely little tidal lake in BC.  Then the new short boards are built for big boys, they have displacements larger then the current 11'4".  Colin at VKS has a 9'3" at Squish, and I've been out on that a few times (in flat water) and I'm excited to try it in waves. I've been waiting for news on the new boards, but it'll either be a 9'3" or a 9'6" for me. 

Next time we come over, I hope to have the short boards with me.

Have Fun
Todd

Mattdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi TP. Not sure we have met but no matter.

This weekend looks epic at Tofino, long beach.  Wick beach at the south end for the best break on a south swell - it is really something to behold.

Please let me know if you are coming.

Are the 2010 9'6 and 9'3 identical to the 2009 models?

We are very limited in board selection in Canada ...  esp for an okay price ...

naishboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »

There are no changes for the 9'6" for next year. Depending on how much you weigh the 9'6" is a sick board.

Naish Boy

D.Kirche

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »

I have the 9'6" as my smaller board(6'0"/175lbs). This board is great catches waves easily and turns on a dime. Super stable as well at almost
30".

D,Kirche

TP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:13:52 PM »
Hey Matt,

I had a buddy that was known as 2 Dog Mark, and I know one of his dogs died, so I thought you might be him, with a new user name. But I now realize that you cant be him, since his name is Mark, and you are a Matt.  I missed that part.

We had planned a few kite/SUP trips over to Tofino, but I wont be coming for awhile, as I just broke my collar bone.

Why were you thinking the 9'6" instead of the 9'3"?  I was about to order a 9'3" to help re-hab my shoulder.

Thanks
Todd

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:31:41 AM »

how much do you weigh for the 9'3''?

I liked paddling the Naish 9'6'', but I was out is super choppy condition, so I never really got to use it for what it is meant..riding waves....alas for me I am in the 200lb club...but I am still eying the 9'3''....possible? Anyone?

I have the 9'6'' PSH, but you know how it is...always looking... :-)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »

We are very limited in board selection in Canada ... 

You just need to look in the right places!  ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
alas for me I am in the 200lb club...but I am still eying the 9'3''....possible? Anyone?

I am 203lbs in my skiddies - I have had the Naish 9'3" since December and have now weened myself off all my other boards. If I had to describe my ability it would be a stubborn, enthusiastic, overweight novice.

I can pretty much stay on the dry side for most of my sessions,  I still fall from time to time but I am now  happy to take the board out anytime I surf. What it delivers more than makes up for my shortfalls in handling it.

Initially I struggled with the board and considered getting (even ordered) a C4 Sub Vector - BUT that felt like a cop out to a soft option and I did not want to compromise the sheer surfability of the Naish. It has taken my surfing to places I did not think was possible (by my standards), and I know that I have not even got close to scratching the boards potential. The 9'3" has raised my game and my expectations - my BK Pro did the same but the Naish is 9'3" not 10' and that makes it a whole heap more practical plus it feels more 'skatey'.  Having said that I have checked out the new Kalama inspired 9'6" Nalu. Narrower at 28" wide but wider in the nose and tail      .        .        . ARRRGH

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
alas for me I am in the 200lb club...but I am still eying the 9'3''....possible? Anyone?

I have a couple of friends with the 9'3" and they're in the 200lb range.

I'm also in that range and found it fine in good conditions but a bit of a struggle in chop.. but then I'm used to big boards.

DJ

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal