Author Topic: GoPro suction cup mount - anybody using?  (Read 24262 times)

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
GoPro suction cup mount - anybody using?
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »
Hi all,

I recently started using a GoPro camera to take pictures and videos of my SUP sessions. It's been working fine with the stick on board base that comes with the camera, but I wanted to be able to use it in my other SUBs, as well as with shortboards and kayaks.

Does anyone here in the Zone uses the GoPro suction cup mount? Is it reliable or does using it increases the chances of loosing your gear? The GoPro website says it is strong and safe, but I would like to hear from real users. Any tips about leashes or anything to secure the camera will be appreciated too.

Mahalo,

RecSuppa

vertseven

• Malibu Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • View Profile
    • I Can't Fish
Re: GoPro suction cup mount - anybody using?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:25 AM »
I used the suction cup mount when I went to Maui. But also made a small float from pipe insulation and red tape that attaches to the back of the camera. Just in case. The camera only fell off once. This was when my Brother in law was riding and he fell on the camera. If I didn't have the float it would have been once too many.

For the most part the cup works great.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
definitely add a bright coloured float

there are several threads on this  - search

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
I "HAD" a suction mount from GoPro. I had filmed it on several on my boards and was running into problems...till it finally broke! Keep in mind that I was taking it into some extreme situation.

I recently started using a GoPro camera to take pictures and videos of my SUP sessions. It's been working fine with the stick on board base that comes with the camera, but I wanted to be able to use it in my other SUBs, as well as with shortboards and kayaks.
The problem I encountered was that the camera sits a little to high (about 4") above the board causing it to have alot of leverage on the base of the mount!!!!........so everytime I get wiped out or get hit by the white water it puts alot of force in the mount........soooooooo eventually it will weaken, loose your it's suction, and then get separated for your board (now you have a problem). In my last encounter (after loosing it several time and finding it cause I had a lifejack for my GoPro).....the mount finally broke! The cup was still on my board and the rest of it was 20 yards away (floating).

Does anyone here in the Zone uses the GoPro suction cup mount? Is it reliable or does using it increases the chances of loosing your gear? The GoPro website says it is strong and safe, but I would like to hear from real users.
Please don't get me wrong! GoPro makes excellent products, but what were using it for may not be set into the equation when it was made IMHO. I surf big stuff here in Hawaii and that mount took a lot of beating. I started seeing it wobble a bit showing signs of wear & tear.....then? (well you know the rest)

Any tips about leashes or anything to secure the camera will be appreciated too.
Well this what I do now! The original base that come with the camera I re-use over & over. I went to my local hardware store (Home Depot) brought a roll of two-way sticky tape. It's meant to mount stuff on the outside of your home and is really strong. Then use a surfco EZ plug for safety (you can re-use that also). Now outfit with a life jacket and your set! This jacket is NOT made by GoPro and maybe purchased at Pacific Rad Sports. prshawaii.com/

Heres vid I made to show how good it works.........enjoy!

Needless to say..... GoPro has very good products to offer and the suction mount will fare excellent in other applications.

I'm always willing to share my Mana'o (experiences & knowledge) with anyone.......I hope this helps! Good luck... :)

Aloha......Sam

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tips, guys!

The vest seems to be perfect, but I think it's going to be hard to find it in Brazil, and if I buy it on line from prshawaii.com or a foreign dealer, I'll probably pay the price of a GoPro camera, due to the insane brazilian import taxes... :-\ So I guess I'll make a float myself and buy some two-way sticky tape to re-use the base as well.

I really won't use it in extreme conditions. Around here, "extreme" means 6' waves, and It happens like 15 to 20 days in a year. Nice reef breaks, some of them are "Indonesia class", but mostly weak swells or no swell at all.

In the other hand, It's pretty good for SUP most of the time, and it's been a little more than 2 years now  since I got hooked. There are about five suppers in my state now, including me and my brother. It's just starting here, so it's awesome to have a place like the Zone, with great people willing to share their experiences.

Sam, that's a cool video!! The moment you find the camera again, after all the white water, is just fun, and great test for the float vest, for sure!

Thanks again!

Aloha,

RecSuppa

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »
Aloha RecSuppa,

Sugestão: usa uma bóia tipo daquelas de raia de piscina ou de jetski amarrado no copo de sucção...

If you get away from the bombers I think you should be fine. So far, my suction cup has never detached from the board but I've never used it when things get bigger... Sam Pae's life jacket should work great but I'll endorse that shipping and brazilian tax fees will tear that idea appart...

Hook anything to the suction cup that is capable of floating it (remember to test it on a swimming pool first) and add some vivid colour to locate it, in case it detaches.

Abraços do Rio de Janeiro,
Bob.

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:12:43 AM »
Valeu, Bob, essa é uma boa idéia!!

When you come around here, let me know. I can borrow you a SUB and a paddle and we can go on a session.

Abraço,

RecSuppa.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
My "new & improved" floating device in action today...  Hope you like it... ;D ;D ;D

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Bob, I guess you win the "coolest GoPro floating device" prize! ;D

Aloha,

RecSuppa

al808

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
BOb,
  Thanks for the idea. I'll have to try that.

Al

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
A bright flotation device with character (A butterfly with pink wings)....... I love it!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal