Author Topic: SSUP ing  (Read 2767 times)

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SSUP ing
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
Don't know if anyone has already posted this but it hit me in a dream last night.  Straps !!!!!

As the next generation of shorter more high performance boards comes online.....I was dreaming of my next board, possibly a nice 8'6" maybe 31 by 4' wide to float my 6'2" 185 lbs.  I have a very nice rockered out 9'6" but I'm frothing at the mouth for something with a faster rocker line and light like my windsurfers.  I know, I know, if there's wind the weight really helps with the paddling but I'm talking no wind or light winds days.  As a shortboarder I really want to surf more like I do on my shortboards.  And living in Florida....we really could use boards that are much faster then those made for the big wave spots around the world.  We talking steep little short beach breaks after all. 

It was tried with surfing over a decade ago, but never really caught on as getting in the straps at takeoff is not an easy endeavor.  HOWEVER....now that we have SUP's  Hmmmmmmmm.  I think it would be pretty easy.  And as some people are already doing....the day of the air in SUPing is coming. 

Any thoughts ????

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SSUP ing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
The double SS stands for Strap Suping.  Like our name isn't hard enough to say. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
Its been getting done already. The Gong crew has played with them and Ivan  down in S.A. lots of others too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
Aloha Wavehobbitt,

No claims on our unscentific experiment but 2 weeks of testing and found that running a front strap is pretty fun. You can put your front foot inside or on the outside and use the strap as a brace. We were running 2 straps but 1 came off. Still in the experimental stages and the only claims are it's fun and interesting. Be careful because an ankle caught is easy. Using the stick on ones from NSI I think. Putting them on a different board as we speak and will give impressions later in week if ok with ya.

Byron

Front foot in strap

Brace for front foot not in strap

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:32:10 PM by Bmaui »

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
been surfing with a guy named Yann and he has been using them in San Diego (La Jolla) for a while now.  I believe he's a former pro-windsurfer.  he has 2 straps set up on his... 6'5"  :o  :o!  seen more than a few mean snaps, floaters and near-airs.  I'm guessing it's a lot easier to guide a smaller board around with your front foot... avoiding the dreaded dive for pearls would be one of them  ;)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »
Strapped in~
It takes a quiver to do that.

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:45 AM »
gong in france have made a very short fat SUP with straps for a while

the nanogene

GONG SUP rider : Hugues's air with SUP

uglysupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
Oh man, that is some cool stuff.

But having had my ankles tweaked pretty good during some high-speed yard sales while windsurfing, I'm not sure I'd want to attach my SUP board to my foot! I certainly do a lot more falling when SUPPING in the surf than wave sailing... YIKES.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »
I'd suggest that you not use only one strap. I broke my foot in 5 places while windsurfing because I only had my front foot in the strap. The board turned forward and I fell backward and the torque broke my foot and tore all the tendons.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
I knew this bunch had to of already tried it.  And I agree from windsurfing, that it's real important to have a nice loose flexy strap.  When you do eat it you want to be able to flex....especially us old guys.  Plus a looser larger strap would be easy to slide the foot into.  I think it's something that needs to be contained to the smaller boards.  I don't even want to think what would happen on a long or even heavy board.  I'll def. want to stick some on my next sub 9 foot board.  Would be fun to play around with and take it from there, see where you can take it.  I know I could of used them last summer on some choppy hurricane swell we had.  Got bounced off some serious cross chop a few times......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal