Stand Up Paddle > Whitewater and River SUP

Quick Release Leash on a Whitewater SUP

<< < (6/6)

Allan Cheateaux:

--- Quote from: kwhilden on July 09, 2009, 11:11:02 AM ---
What do you think about attaching the leash to a quick-release on a rescue PFD? That seems like the most effective way to maximize one's ability to release the leash  under the  water pressure of an entrapment. However perhaps it also causes the leash to get trapped  under  foot during normal paddling.

--- End quote ---

This is how we run it. chest release and the cuff strap attached on the back....

jon:
  I agree with Corran, the advantages of staying with your board far outweigh the remote possibility of leash entrapment. Have a solid release system and have a kniff back up. 

PonoBill:
You could certainly use a line knife, like they put in kite harnesses.

Not all Scuba entrapment is in still water. I got pushed under an abandoned gillnet during a high-current wall dive in Puget Sound many years ago. I haven't thought of that for years. I probably won't sleep tonight.

stuey-chan:
I was an avid white water kayaker years ago and almost died a couple times.  Once, when I was pressed against a rock and underwater the flowing pressure of the water was so great I couldn't even bring my arms down to release my skirt. 

A fellow kayaker died being wrapped around a bridge trestle in slow moving water.  The pressure turned his boat over and plastered him underwater against the trestle.  It took over an hour with ropes to pull the boat and body off.

All I can say is I couldn't imagine being leashed to a board or boat in a river -- in a rapid or not.  It has to exponentially increase your chances of being wrapped up, pulled under, and held there.  The concept of a "quick release" is meaningless if you can't reach it.

Evan Lloyd:
I always use a leash that is tethered to a quick release belt on my PFD.  I can always get to it and it is super easy to release from it.  Being separated from your board is not good and can cause you and your gear physical damage. 

Evan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version