Author Topic: Waves are up big time for south shores in Hawaii? Where is everyone surfing?  (Read 4872 times)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I surfed my shortboard today at the Bowls, Kaisers area.  It was solid 3-5 foot Hawaiian size.  I wouldn't have minded trying out the SUP but it was too windy for the uncrowded spots and too crowded at the prime spots.  Anybody SUP today?  There were some bombs coming through the lineup.

KaiDogg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I surfed my shortboard today at the Bowls, Kaisers area.  It was solid 3-5 foot Hawaiian size.  I wouldn't have minded trying out the SUP but it was too windy for the uncrowded spots and too crowded at the prime spots.  Anybody SUP today?  There were some bombs coming through the lineup.

I'm a little curious myself.  My schedule doesn't allow me to get out there on the weekdays, so I'm totally missing it.  Maybe Pop's early in the morning?  Was it big enough for Cunha's to show?

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't know about Cuhnas but Wednesday is going to be 4 to 6 foot Hawaiian which is pretty big for south shore.

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
My first opportunity to get out was this morning.  Too-good-to-be true waist to shoulder high glassy conditions at the mellow Thousand Peaks break early this morning before the low tide hit.   I'd say it was a more crowded than I've seen for a weekday but holy cow, I was on my PSH 10'6" WAA and it seemed like me and another guy on a Jimmy Lewis 11' AA were getting most of the waves.  It got to a point where we had to start letting them go by in order to give others a chance.  What a blast and what a way to start the day.   I was in pure heaven.   There were also a lot of smiles and aloha in the lineup.  That's one thing I really like about the sup community.

Aloha!

Gary

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My first opportunity to get out was this morning.  Too-good-to-be true waist to shoulder high glassy conditions at the mellow Thousand Peaks break early this morning before the low tide hit.   I'd say it was a more crowded than I've seen for a weekday but holy cow, I was on my PSH 10'6" WAA and it seemed like me and another guy on a Jimmy Lewis 11' AA were getting most of the waves.  It got to a point where we had to start letting them go by in order to give others a chance.  What a blast and what a way to start the day.   I was in pure heaven.   There were also a lot of smiles and aloha in the lineup.  That's one thing I really like about the sup community.

Aloha!

Gary

Right on.  Where is this Thousand Peaks?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Maui south west shore. It would be a big secret except the ten thousand cars a day passing by. Look for Ukumehame beach park. I think I spelled that right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
The swell had everything breaking from La Perouse to Lahaina.  My friend surfed Dumps all yesterday morning and said it was epic.  I drove by and they were surfing at McGregor Point.  When it's hitting there, you know it's good!  :)

Konomaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aloha everyone
I was at Kalama bowl in maui and was waist to shoulder high too. I heard tomorrow will be bigger than couple days and I'm so looking forword to catch more south swell. Planing to go to west side with my friends. I was riding C4 bk and I love to try shorter PSH SUP. I heard they surf pretty amazing.
Be safe and have fun.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I was out early Tues at Ukumehame/1000 peaks too! I'm on my SUP (9'6" Kazuma). Yes, and it was great fun!

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was out this morning on shortboard.  The swell is still building.  I think by this afternoon or tomorrow morning should be the peak.  It should be 4-6 foot hawaiian.  There is another swell just as big coming sunday.  I gotta pace myself.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My buddy sent this to me from Maui today of La Perouse going off!  He says its been solid for like a week.  Southern California is starting to see it today, hopefully bigger tomorrow!

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
I whipped out the bodyboard these past couple of days & rode my favorite bowly right hander that benefits from the solid south swell & light winds.  Yesterday was heavier than this morning, but it's been a great couple of days!  Solid 4ft waves, lots of barrels.  Yesterday I got three in & out barrels on 1 wave!!

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
The fun continued into Thursday with the biggest day of the south swell yet (I head there's another swell train coming).  I SUP surfed at Ukumehame/Thousdand Peaks with some good pals that I know from our local cycling community.    Tons of stoke in the lineup with nice shoulder to head-high waves and few bomb set closeouts just to make things interesting.

Best of all, I met Deb!!!!!   Spotted her Kazuma board.   Hi Deb!  Great chatting with you! 

While out there I tested out a strange new paddle by Neptune paddles.  It was designed by a guy named Mark, who just said, "here, try this paddle and tell me what you think".  The paddle blade was straight but the handle bent outwards at a 20 degree angle (or so).   The theory was it gives you more leverage and more extension at the same time.  However, I found it was way too much paddle for me as it quickly made my muscles tired and I kept missing waves with it.   It's an interesting concept, but I couldn't wait to get my 8.5" Quickblade back.

Can't wait for the next session!

Aloha,

Gary

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hi Gary - Really nice to meet you too!  Yes, a couple of those bombs totally thrashed me today! (I hate getting caught just inside- do I run, dive, or pray? Maybe some of each?). This for sure has been a great week/ start of the summer season. See you on the water!
Deb

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
It was super good conditions on Saturday as well.  As for me, I paddled out and proceeded to take 6 or 8 closeout waves on the head.  Then I got stung by a bee, started missing wave after wave after wave.  Hit the reef once.  Rode a total of 2 waves.   Not a good day for me.  I seemed to have lost the zen and the flow, but hopefully it's only temporary.   Better luck tomorrow!

Aloha,

Gary

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal