Author Topic: Board recommendation question?  (Read 3307 times)

illenium

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Board recommendation question?
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new here and new to SUP surfing. Im ready to purchase a board but am having a hard time finding one thats right for me. I'm 6'0 and weigh 265. I test paddled the Laird 12'1 today and it was nice but I want your input. I have been thinking about checking out the Uli. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Jerod

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board recommendation question?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:07:51 PM »
See if you can demo the new Angulo 11'11". It is as floaty as the big Laird, but WAY more surfy and heaps of glide.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:12:19 PM »
Where do you live?  Your conditions could effect the type of board you decide on.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
The big Laird is a great board.. also the big 11'6" Naish is also worth checking out.. IMO don't go too small.. Maybe even try the new 11' NSP... One more thing.. Don't get a cheap paddle.

DJ

illenium

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I live in San Diego. Went by Bob's in PB this afternoon and checked out th PSH 11 WAA. It looked nice and floaty. Any thoughts on the Uli Steamroller?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:07 PM »
I resemble your size...slightly bigger actually and I've tried a bunch of the big guy boards. What are your plans for use? Just surf or do you want to cruise too? Uli's great for travel and utility but I'm not so sure if I would have it as my primary board (just what i've heard...i haven't tried it myself) I know I'd love to have one.

If your focus is on surf you might try the starboard 10 x 34 (whopper) just as stable as the laird but much nicer in the waves. If you're looking for something that does both surf and cruise well the starboard 11-2 x 30 ultimate blend is a great all around board. I loved the 11-11 Angulo at the spring 2007 showcase. You should take a look there in fact... a lot has changed since then but many of the current big guy boards are on there. Pictures (click on them for bigger ones), specs...what's available...and subjective reviews from multiple evaluators of varying experience. I was the official newbie big guy tester (matching your weight at 260 at the time)
http://www.kenalu.com/forums/showcase-index/

This still doesn't replace demoing boards. Our advice can't replace that. I haven't had a chance to ride any of the PSH boards yet for instance.. :(. I love my starboards (full disclaimer...I'm demoing boards for them this summer but that happened because I loved their boards not the other way around). Get on as many different boards as you can. If your focus is going to be on surf you'll probably want to go as short as you can and still have stability. Joe Blair makes them wide too.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:34:12 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new here and new to SUP surfing. Im ready to purchase a board but am having a hard time finding one thats right for me. I'm 6'0 and weigh 265. I test paddled the Laird 12'1 today and it was nice but I want your input. I have been thinking about checking out the Uli. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Jerod

First off , welcome to the forum.   I rode the PSH 11' WAA and the 10'6WAA.  If you want a STABLE easy to paddle , yet will still surf board the PSH 11'WAA will be fine.  Tried it last week for a couple of days.  I am 190lbs and that board was HUGE.  When we traded boards with my buddy (matt is 170) we both sat on the 11'WAA and did not sink it (were trying boards in the ocean in the northeast and the water was COLD).  Fins are a 2+1 and despite it being so big I was able to ride waves with it (knee to thigh).  Hope this helps.   ;D

illenium

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
I resemble your size...slightly bigger actually and I've tried a bunch of the big guy boards. What are your plans for use? Just surf or do you want to cruise too? Uli's great for travel and utility but I'm not so sure if I would have it as my primary board (just what i've heard...i haven't tried it myself) I know I'd love to have one.

If your focus is on surf you might try the starboard 10 x 34 (whopper) just as stable as the laird but much nicer in the waves. If you're looking for something that does both surf and cruise well the starboard 11-2 x 30 ultimate blend is a great all around board. I loved the 11-11 Angulo at the spring 2007 showcase. You should take a look there in fact... a lot has changed since then but many of the current big guy boards are on there. Pictures (click on them for bigger ones), specs...what's available...and subjective reviews from multiple evaluators of varying experience. I was the official newbie big guy tester (matching your weight at 260 at the time)
http://www.kenalu.com/forums/showcase-index/

This still doesn't replace demoing boards. Our advice can't replace that. I haven't had a chance to ride any of the PSH boards yet for instance.. :(. I love my starboards (full disclaimer...I'm demoing boards for them this summer but that happened because I loved their boards not the other way around). Get on as many different boards as you can. If your focus is going to be on surf you'll probably want to go as short as you can and still have stability. Joe Blair makes them wide too.

Good Luck.

Bob thank you very much for your informative reply. I'm looking to do about 60/40 surfing and paddling. Anyone know any shops in San Diego that carry Starboards?

emtoh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »
Just got a ULI 10'0" and I love it. Very stable and turns easily. I'm 6'2" and 170, so I'm guessin' the ULI 11'0" would be more suitable for you.

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
I was in your same situation a couple months ago.  I ended up going with the Starboard Mr. Easy 12x32.  I've paddled flatwater, but spend the majority of my time in the surf.  It's handled knee to shoulder high surf fine for me.  I'm real close to your size at 6'3" and 250 lbs.  I also tested the 11'6" timpone, but didn't find it as stable as the starboard or as surfable.  The PSH boards have a great reputation on this site so you may want to also check out their 11'. 

I try and get out as much as I can.  With the big board I can still cruise up and down the beach for exercise (need it at 250) if the surf is down.  You're going to have a blast no matter what.     

illenium

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »
thanks mate. its looking more and more like starboard is the way to go. now if i could only find a dealer in san diego that will let me demo one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal