Author Topic: What is the best sunblock?  (Read 13698 times)

Byronmaui

What is the best sunblock?
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
Aloha

Used many sunblocks and kind of curious what most of you guys use or recommend...Thank you in advance.

Byron

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best sunblock?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
My dermo says Neutrogena Ultra Sheer® Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55, 70 & 85

I also use a zinc based sunscreen once in awhile.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »
That is what I was going to say.  I totally second Tom.  I just started using the Neutrogena and it is super good.  It doesnt feel sticky and it stays on forever.  It doesnt cause pimples which is really good.  It is expensive but worth it.  You can buy it at Costco in a 2 pack to save money.

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
I'll have to try that Neutrogena Dry Touch... I've used Bull Frog for a long time, but I hate how it gets your hands all oily after you apply it... but it has never let me down.

For my face, I've been a Vertra fan for a while... kinda expensive, but it lasts a long time.  I like the fact that they now have the shade "Kona Gold" (Shane Dorian's signature model) too.  now I don't have to look like a Kabuki while I'm surfing.  haha  ;D  ;D

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:30 AM »
Try to wear a hat whenever you can -- sunblock just isn't enough.

This, I know, after spending many winters on Maui with a bald head. I never burnt it because I always used sunscreen, but my scalp is totally fucked now -- melanoma, here we come.

Jimmy Lewis Canada

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
there are a lot of sunblocks available that use natural physical uv blockers such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as opposed to chemical uv converters absorbed into the skin (avobenzone, oxybenzone, etc.). physical blockers sit on top of the skin to reflect the uvb and uva rays while the absorbed chemicals convert ultra violet causing them to degrade often acting as free radical generators in the process.

i happen to make my own skin creams and had originally added zinc oxide as an externally applied vitamin, turned out that it doubled as a sunblock and gave the cream a silkier feel. titanium dioxide is found in nature derived from fossil sand deposits and is flat out the best physical reflectant known to man.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:32:15 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
I've tried a lot of different sunscreens over the past 2 years.  It's hard to find a good one that won't run into my eyes and will last long enough in the water.  I really liked the Shiseido sunscreen but I started to get styes in my eyes and after having to get them lanced, I got apprehensive on putting sunscreen on my face.  Until recently, I settled on the Vertra stick bc it didn't run.  It also doesn't really stay on that well but at least it didn't give me styes. 

A few weeks ago I got turned on to http://www.watermansappliedscience.com Waterman's Applied Science and have to say it's the best I've tried so far.  This stuff doesn't run and stays on the whole session with no problem.  I sweat like a pig in the Olukai Maliko race last weekend and it didn't run at all.  A couple of interesting things about this sunscreen.  You only need a little bit.  It dries kinda tacky (hard to explain).  I can't feel the UV heat coming through this one like on some of the others (weird experience).  It's definitely worth a try.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »
Another thing about the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer that I forgot to note.  It is really hard to get it off your hands, even with soap.  I use rubbing alcohol to get it off so it is not making your hands slippery on the paddle.

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi,
Anyone has eared or tried "Riemann P20" sun protector?
A friend of mine told me it lasts 10 hours on the skin!
it's not a cream, but looks and smells like a glue (!!! ???).
I'd like to try it, but here I only find factor 20 and I need a 50!
If it works as they say, it could be good for my bald calf... :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:35:30 AM by sylvano »

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
"there are a lot of sunblocks available that use natural physical uv blockers such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as opposed to chemical uv converters absorbed into the skin (avobenzone, oxybenzone, etc.). physical blockers sit on top of the skin to reflect the uvb and uva rays while the absorbed chemicals convert ultra violet causing them to degrade often acting as free radical generators in the process."

Bingo.  You want physical uv blockers...I think in the long run the absorbed chemical blockers will be shown to increase skin damage through other mechanisms as shapeshifter suggests.  The problem is people dont like the white haze.  If it really bothers you, you can spend extra $ and get some products that have a clear-zinc, I think the brand is "michelle" or something...they have it at whole food stores and for a much better price on vitacost.com

SUPMAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
Evan,

Where can I buy some Watermans product here on Oahu?

Mahalo

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
So far I think it's just at:

Hawaiian South Shore
320 Ward Ave. 112
Honolulu, HI 96814
www.hawaiiansouthshore.com

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 04:33:21 AM »
I'd like to try it, but here I only find factor 20 and I need a 50!

Maybe not.  There has been a lot of talk lately in the media about high SPF numbers being a marketing gimmick only.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/fashion/14SKIN.html?_r=1

"The difference in UVB protection between an SPF 100 and SPF 50 is marginal. Far from offering double the blockage, SPF 100 blocks 99 percent of UVB rays, while SPF 50 blocks 98 percent. (SPF 30, that old-timer, holds its own, deflecting 96.7 percent)...which is why dermatologists now advise using sunscreens with an SPF of at least 15 and UVA-fighting ingredients like an avobenzone that doesn’t degrade in light or Mexoryl SX."

"Skimp and you lose. To get the SPF advertised, you must use a full shot glass on your body. That’s an ounce, which means a three-ounce tube should last, at most, a few outings."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:35:18 AM by Admin »

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:09:43 AM »
Since we're in the water, the water resistance is an important rating.  See below taken from  http://watermansappliedscience.com/blog/?p=518

"Picking the right SPF can be the most important part of the decision making process.  SPF, or Sun Protection Factor, is an indicator of how well the sunscreen protects you from UVB radiation.  It is basically a multiplication equation.  Take the time it usually takes you to burn, multiply it by the SPF listed on the bottle, and that is how long it will take you to burn while wearing that particular SPF sunscreen (Burn time without sunscreen x SPF = Burn time with sunscreen).  However, what is not often known is that you should not be using a higher SPF sunscreen then you need to, because the concentration of active ingredients relative to the protection they afford is much higher in products with a higher SPF rating.  The best advice is to think about how much time you plan on being in the sun and choosing your product accordingly.  Much like nutrition, there will be little benefit from over doing it.  However, it is important to remember that SPF is not an indicator of UVA protection.  It is up to you as the consumer to check the label and make sure that the sunscreen contains at least one, preferably two, UVA sunscreens (For more info check the protection page at http://www.watermansappliedscience.com/html/Protection.html).  Just because it says “Broad-Spectrum” on the label doesn’t mean that it will be very effective against UVA.  This is especially true if there is only one UVA screen.*  Always remember, there is no such thing as a “Sun Block”.  All Sunscreens are filters, not blockers, so unless the bottle contains latex paint the claim is not true.  It is also a good idea to avoid spray on sunscreens.  They are unreliable and it has been proven that it is not likely that enough of the sunscreen actually makes it to the skins surface to back up the products SPF claim.  Although it may be convenient it is not affective which defeats the purpose.

If you are spending some time in the water or sweating a lot then you should take the terms “very water resistant” and “water resistant” seriously.  They are actually technical terms denoting the amount of time the sunscreen will remain affective while being subjected to an aquatic environment.  The claim “Water resistant” indicates that a product’s SPF rating is good for up to 40 minutes of use before it needs to be reapplied.  “Very water resistant” is the highest rating awarded by the FDA and implies that the SPF rating on the label will be effective for at least 80 minutes.  Some companies test their products for longer so it is worth checking out the website for more information and don’t be afraid to ask for verification.  Be aware, there is not and never will be a “Water Proof” rating and there is not such thing as “All Day”  (Regarding the claim, “All Day,” remember earlier when we discussed the meaning behind the SPF value applied to sunscreen?  Well if you have and SPF 30 product then it will only protect you for 30 times longer then it usually takes you to burn regardless of how many times you reapply.  Whether or not that is “all day” depends on the user.).  These are marketing terms and are not regulated in any way shape or form."

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »
evan which one are you using?  The sun cream?  I see they also have rip curl listed as a dealer.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard