Author Topic: PSH 10'6" WideAllARounder versus Joe Blair 10'1"  (Read 9152 times)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
PSH 10'6" WideAllARounder versus Joe Blair 10'1"
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »
I would like peoples opinions of a comparison between the PSH 10'6"x30"x4.75 WAA to the Joe Blair 10’ 1” x 32.5” x 5”.  I would like to use it as a bigger board when I can't ride my PSH 9'6" WAA.  Which one would surf better and in what kind of waves.  My feeling is that the PSH would surf better in bigger waves and maybe smaller too but maybe the Joe Blair can surf good too.  The Joe Blair seems to be a new design so I don't know if anyone with decent skills has used it too much.  The Joe Blair is way wider but shorter which is a newer type design.  I was thinking that we have to be open minded when we think about width for surfing because it was not long ago when we thought that a good surfing board had to be 27" wide and now we know that 29" to 30" is fine as illustrated by the subvector and the PSH wide rippers and AllArounders.  Any thoughts?  (I know some of you are going to tell me to just learn my 9'6 WAA but sometimes you need that big board to relax)

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PSH 10'6" WideAllARounder versus Joe Blair 10'1"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Aloha Diesel,

Sometimes I feel I know what is going on your mind... If I'm right, I've been there but cannot add anything on Blair vs Blane. But I can tell you this:

I bought a PSH 11' (11' x 30-5/8" x 4-7/8") for my wife and it's one of the boards I most like (problably it will be a keeper in the quiver for a very long time - sometimes I feel it's going to be lifetime).

Casso has written a review on it: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2845.0

My impressions: I feel more like Byron regarding his opinion on the PSH 12' GUN: Most Versatile Board for 2009.

Again, I haven't ridden the 12' GUN nor the 10'6 but I do feel that the 11'WAA is the most versatile board for me... I maybe channge my mind after trying those other boards but I feel in love each time I ride the 11 footer in different conditions...

The PSH 11' buoyancy is unbelievable. It glides super fast and it surf loose given it's huge dimensions... My point is: when it's time for a casual paddling, the 11' is a winner; when it's time for small surf conditions (nearly flat if you will), the 11' is a winner; when it's time for bigger surf, the 11' is a winner (I've surfed 5+ hawaiian feet waves down south in Brazil with no problem thanks to it's early take off capabilities); when it comes down to surfing in choppy and windy conditions, the 11' is a winner (it's the only board I can feel stable and comfortable when it's really choppy).

On your 9'6WAA topic I replyed that you should try larger fins. With the PSH 11' I love the feeling of a True Ames 9.75" Noserider single fin. Actually, as I'm writing this, I felt like I could use the 11' for tomorrow's surfing conditions: small. Maybe I'll record a little vid and post it here.

From my experience, it's a whole different board from the PSH 9'6WAA. Which board I like best: the 11', no doubt...

I used to have a PSH 10'3AA (till last week) and that board was and excelent glider but not nearly stable as the 11'.

Good luck on you quest for the holly grail...

Mahalo from Brazil,
Bob.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
BobFromBrazil,  thanks for the reply.  You know my conflict.  You see, there is this outer reef break that I usually surf by myself, that I am trying to get the right board for.  It is a trcky break because it is one mile out so the board cannot be too small.  It also catches any wind that is blowing and catches the trade swell from the side so even if there is no wind in the morning, there is residual trade swell from the day before.  It only gets super smooth if it is variable winds the day before.  So, it is a tricky spot to get to and to get smooth but the wave itself is a real quality, sucking out barrelly, peeling type of wave that ends in a channel.  It is also very sharky which makes it scary for prone surfing but perfect for standup.  This wave is very addicting because you can surf it by yourself all the time and it is very good.  When you are on the wave, then the smaller the board the better because you can get barreled and do huge carves in sucking and peeling sections.  It's just that the conditions make you want to take out a bigger board.  This wave is my challenge and I have got it very good a bunch of times already.  Maybe this weekend might be going off again if conditions happen as they are being predicted.  Because of this particular break is why I was thinking that a super wide shorter board like the Blair might be good but maybe not.  Maybe that board is too wide in the tail and will slip in the face on the barrelly sections and pocket you pull into.  Maybe I have to get a custom shape.  Thanks for letting me ramble and maybe this will interest some SUP minds out there.  By the way I am 185 lbs. and intermediate level on SUP.

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
Diesel what about the 9'8 or 9'10 ripper? More floaty and you can surf it like a shortboard. Just a thought.

Aloha

Byron

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
Bmaui, are those rippers more floaty than my PSH 9'6" WAA?  I figured they would be kind of on par.  As far as performance, the 9'6" WAA is loose enough and rips but it's a little tough to ride at that break at my skill level.

Byronmaui

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
Bmaui, are those rippers more floaty than my PSH 9'6" WAA?  I figured they would be kind of on par.  As far as performance, the 9'6" WAA is loose enough and rips but it's a little tough to ride at that break at my skill level.

Not sure maybe check with Blane. I know they surf outer reefs with those boards. Just a thought.

Aloha

Byron

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
Diesel,

I was picturing something else and I think Byron is getting it better. The 11' is a great board but IMO it's an ALL AROUND board. For barrels you should stick to a RIPPER... Maybe the 9'10 is the ticket for you because it's a little bit larger and has more volume, therefore will give you more comfort paddling at windy and choppy conditions.

At 185 lbs., I think you probably get better results with the 9'3 Ripper. I have an 9'3 Ripper but as I'm an intermetiate SUP surfer at 200lbs. it gives me a hard time when it's choppy. I have tried a 9'8 custom glass handed board that was shaped and inspired on Blane's 9'8 Ripper. Can't tell how Blane's board would feel, but when it comes to stability, I didn't feel that 9'8 was all that better than the PSH 9'3.

Other board I think you should consider is the 9'6 Wide Ripper. I think it's a great board too... In this range, the C4 Sub Vector is also a board to consider. The SV is a great board but for me the 9'6 Wide feels more stable.

When it comes to long distance paddling, I do feel that the 9'6 Wide is the wrong choice. Maybe because of its bottom rocker I don't feel it's a fast/easy paddler. Still, after you catch a wave it pays off. Give a try with that board on your spot with larger side fins and a larger center fin. Once I have set up the 9'6 wide with FCS Sunny sides and a 8.5" Albacore Flex center fin and it worked great in a windy day.

I maybe wrong but if you're willing to sacrifice the maneuverability of a small Ripper for stability (less tippyness), I think you should consider the PSH 12'GUN. For it's design, I think it will be a speed bullet in a barrel.

Too many choices... Too few boards we can afford...

Take care,
Bob.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
Thanks for the opinions.  IMHO, those PSH rippers are not going to be more stable than my 9'6" WAA and I don't need any more performance than the 9'6" WAA that I already have, I just need more stability.  The 9'6" WAA rips super hard already and is super loose plus it probably paddles faster than those rippers. 

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
  I had the 10'6" wide PSH for awhile.  For the wave your describing I think the 10'6" all arounder or the 12 footer PSH's would be better.  Blain rides that 10'6" all arounder in huge surf and rips!  Not to say the 10'6" wide AA wasn't a good board but it was more of an all arounder and not specific to larger outside reef waves your desrcibing.  I have ridden  the 8'11 Blair and looked at the 10'1 Blair.  The 10'1 is very wide.  I'm certain it would be stable and would get you out there fine but I would think the PSH 12 footer would ride in the tube and get you in early and down the line fast with stability.  

I should say I'm in the same boat looking for a larger wave board myself.  I have not tried the 12 footer but its the one I'm thinking about buying before this winter for the larger reef surf.  I had the 9'6" wide ripper for awhile and the 9'6" wide all arounder was much more stable for me.  I hope I'm not confusing you more as I'm also in the hunt for a similar board for the waves your describing.  Good luck...good post.

I'm looking to purchase the PSH 12 footer by winter for the same reasons.  I want stabilityand paddle powerBY NEXT YEAR FOR YOUR SAME REASONSBY NEXT WINTER FOR YOUR SAME REASONS

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
lopezwill, thanks for the reply.  I guess I didn't specify that this wave does not get real huge, maybe head and a half high at most but is just super sucky and barrelly so I need the smallest board so I  can whip tight cutbacks in smaller pockets.  The 12' would be too big.  This wave is high performance, maybe think along the lines of AlaMoana bowls or Kaisers.  Not as long a wave as Bowls but that kind of shape.  Not the wave for a gun but more like a high performance board but I still need to paddle one mile out and be in the bumpy water.  This is a tough one with board selection.  It would be solved if I could just ride the 9'6 but the legs are not there yet and I don't want to waste any good sessions screwing around falling off.  I definitely appreciate everyones replies.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
Not the wave for a gun but more like a high performance board but I still need to paddle one mile out and be in the bumpy water. 

If I understand you correctly,you want a high performance board that you can paddle a mile offshore in bumpy water like a speed boat that can also kill it in sucky head and a half bowls, but yet at 185lbs the 9'6" wide AA is not stable enough for you and is not sufficient for the job?

If that board is not stable enough to paddle a mile, then you should probably should be spending more time on it.  The 10'1 or the 10'6 is not going to work any better in the type of wave you are describing.  The Blair is designed for beginners or dudes much bigger than you.  It sounds like you want something that does not exist.  A high performance SUP that can at the same time paddle distance no problem.  It's all trade offs.  Stop with the theorizing and go out on your board more.  Let's say you get the 10'6 WAA, then you will be back here next week saying the  board can paddle to the wave but now I'm having trouble with the drops or it ain't high performance enough.  And let's keep in mind we are talking about big boards so "high performance" is relative. 

You don't want to waste any sessions.  If you aren't falling off your board, then you aren't trying hard enough.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
To be honest, you probably should spend a little more time on the 9'6" WAA. It's fairly stable. Moreso than the 9'10 ripper in my opinion. Anther option is the 9'6" Wide ripper - an underated board.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
32" wide and 5" thick... that's a lot of board! Hard to say though without seeing how it's foiled- but even if it's thinned way down at each end, that's a GOB of foam right under your feet that would seem likely to get out of control at speed... but who knows? Hate to say which is better without actually RIDING both for a few weeks.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
To be honest, you probably should spend a little more time on the 9'6" WAA. It's fairly stable. Moreso than the 9'10 ripper in my opinion. Anther option is the 9'6" Wide ripper - an underated board.

Agreed.  For your weight, I think the 9'6" WAA could be one of the best all around boards out there, if not the best.  It should be able to easily handle a fairly long paddle out to the lineup.  The ripper models will definitely be a lot more challenging than the 9'6" WAA, so I wouldn't consider that at this point if I were you.  I've never tried the 9'6" Wide Ripper, but I've found the 9'10" ripper to be much more unstable and challenging than the 9'6" WAA.  In fact, the 9'2" AA is a little more stable for me than the 9'10" ripper.

I did own the 10'6" WAA for about a month, but it felt like a little too much board for me, so I sold it and picked up the regular 10'6" AA which is an amazing board.  You'll like the 10'6" WAA if you just really want a super stable board.  You will get good performance out of it, but not quite the same level of performance you'd get from the other boards mentioned.  I also found it a bit tricky in waves that were hollow.

Overall, if I were your weight, I'd ultimately be looking to master the 9'6" WAA and then pick up something like the 9'8" ripper.  I think that could be a sick two board quiver.  Of course this is all just my opinion, which might not be worth much considering I'm not very good.  But I have been in the same situation as you and have felt the same frustrations.  Regardless of what you decide on, just keep paying your dues and you'll really have a ton of options when it comes to new boards.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:28 PM »
wow jd, kind of a wise ass answer.  I already rip on my 9'6 WAA.  I just want to rip more or balance easier.  Why don't you post a clip of your surfing since you have all the wise ass answers or better yet, we can go surf together and we'll see if you rip like or just acting.  What do you think this forum is for except thoughts and theorizing.  Don't be an idiot and learn some respect.  i am always here in Honolulu if you want to prove how good you surf to me.  Just call me up.  If not then learn some respect.  What we don't need on this forum is guys acting up like you when someone is trying to get some help.  Read my posts better and maybe your thick skull will understand what I am trying to say.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:31:36 PM by diesel »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM