Author Topic: Punching through whitewater - technique tips?  (Read 18019 times)

seasweeper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Punching through whitewater - technique tips?
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
My technique currently sucks-with larger whitewater it involves lying down on the board with the paddle underneath me pointing towards the nose and just paddling at the whitewater as hard and fast as I can-if there's any punch to the whitewater-I get thrown up and backwards and it's carnage.

Anyone-particularly perhaps those riding in sizeable surf-have any tips on managing 9 feet plus of board and a paddle successfully?

Thanks

Davey

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Punching through whitewater - technique tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Ok, you're right, that sucks. You can punch through big stuff on a SUP. I've seen video of Sam Pa'e punching through head high whitewater. I'm not quite there, but close. The key is that your legs don't present much resistance to the wave, so basically you need to hump the board over. There's a lot of stuff on this forum about it, I'd try the search function to look for it.

Here's my technique--some of it came from a casual comment by Randy (admin). As I'm approaching big whitewater I time my paddling so that I can give one last strong stroke just as the board hits the wave, and then reach up onto the wave and plant the paddle  and pull. While that is going on you step back with your rear foot and preload the board, like doing an ollie on a skateboard. Then push the nose up. Be careful not to let the board come too high or it can smack you in the face. Been there, done that, got the lumpy forehead.

It takes practice, but you need to start working at it. You'll never get better lying on the board.

You can go through MUCH bigger waves standing than you can lying down.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
It takes practice, but you need to start working at it. You'll never get better lying on the board.

Not only that but you're missing half the fun of standup. Sometime I'll just hang in the whitewater zone and play. Once you get it its fun.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
Here's my technique--some of it came from a casual comment by Randy (admin). As I'm approaching big whitewater I time my paddling so that I can give one last strong stroke just as the board hits the wave, and then reach up onto the wave and plant the paddle  and pull. While that is going on you step back with your rear foot and preload the board, like doing an ollie on a skateboard. Then push the nose up. Be careful not to let the board come too high or it can smack you in the face.
Yes.
While the rear foot preload the board, you can push the board toward the impact. That gives you a little bit of more speed and, as Sam said, "speed is your friend while punching white water".
Beware of the mistake! Last week, my board hurt myself while punching white water: two times, both of my tibias.

seasweeper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »
Ok, you're right, that sucks. You can punch through big stuff on a SUP. I've seen video of Sam Pa'e punching through head high whitewater. I'm not quite there, but close. The key is that your legs don't present much resistance to the wave, so basically you need to hump the board over. There's a lot of stuff on this forum about it, I'd try the search function to look for it.

Here's my technique--some of it came from a casual comment by Randy (admin). As I'm approaching big whitewater I time my paddling so that I can give one last strong stroke just as the board hits the wave, and then reach up onto the wave and plant the paddle  and pull. While that is going on you step back with your rear foot and preload the board, like doing an ollie on a skateboard. Then push the nose up. Be careful not to let the board come too high or it can smack you in the face. Been there, done that, got the lumpy forehead.

You can go through MUCH bigger waves standing than you can lying down.

Cool. I'll try that. I'll post photos of any forehead sutures. :P

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »
I grab a hand full of paddle and pull hard as I try to meet force with force.  After the wave has passed keep paddling to make way and stability.

You have to keep at it  practice.  And you have to be careful because the board responds to physics and can really blast you.  Also be perpendicular to the white water. 

It is so fun and challenging and this is where the bull in the ring (aggression) is your friend.

There are limits also.  My limits are around 6 foot or so depending on how its breaking.  If you are facing bigger waves it is more like a game of chicken. 

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
Aloha Davey,
To me the key point to going over white water is to meet "power with power". Now if you don't do this and stop paddling then the white wash will run you down. Now if white water is bearing down on me theres two things I'll do (well three, the third one is pray) prior to impact!!!

1) If the wall is too big then I'll paddle as fast as I can, kick the board forward, dive backward and swim under neath the wash and the board should right there. You can read up on this link:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2172.0

2) Or if i think it's manageable then I'll paddle as fast as I can (meet power with power), step back with my left feet (vise verse for regular foot), give one last "hard" stroke (leftside), bend my knees, and climb wash with my paddle down & eyes forward (don't look down, this is key)
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2607.0

Keep in mind that when stepping back your back foot should remain on that side of your stringer and not line up with your front foot. If it does then you'll become weighted on oneside of your board and fall toward that side.

Heres footage of punching through white water I did last year. It's a bit small but you can see the foot work and the last power stroke prior to impact.

I have other footage of going over white water but I'll need to edit it first. As soon as I get the chance I'll post, but here a big hit I did last year. I failed once then succeeded the second time.

I've seen my name has been dropped a couple of time and I really do appreciate it, but really I'm not an expert.......just someone that's willing to share my experience.........Good Luck!!!

Aloha.....Sam
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:26:53 AM by Sam Pa'e »

MajorHavoc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Thanks for the video's Sam!  Very helpful for a noOb like me!  ;)

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »
My 2 cents:

Taking a SUB full force to the chest was a miserable experience.  During the first big south this summer, I tried out something that has worked pretty darn good-

I have 2 surfco handles glassed into my board on the lower nose similiar to where they are on rescue boards. 

right before the whitewater (or worse, a thick lip) is about to hit, I dive forward under the wave while grabbing the handle.  As long as I make an effort to submerge the nose I have been spit out the back every time.  I have only been dragged over into the hurt locker once or twice, and it is when I didn't fully commit to pulling the nose under.  This was working on waves in town that were in the 5ft (hawaiian scale) range, so not a lot of juice compared to the country but it was definitely opening my mind to new techniques. 

The next step for next winter will be to use Sam's paddle retention clip, and actually turtle the board while using both handles simultaneously, and even using a foot on the tail to really bring the nose under. 

I think depending on the wave, everyone should be able to blast over waves in the head high range the normal standing way, but for going big we need to be more responsible for our equipment. 

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps somebody out!

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »
Just another quick note that is just my opinion:

If there is a good channel at the surfspot, I don't ever fight and fight and try to get over every whitewash...unless there's nobody out and you want to practice.  Instead just help keep the impact zone clear by blasting in and cruising back to the channel...you will probably get back to the peak faster that way anyway, and it will help the other guys stuck inside from having to worry about our big boards and paddles. 

Just my opinion.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »
Aloha Jared,
I have 2 surfco handles glassed into my board on the lower nose similiar to where they are on rescue boards. 

right before the whitewater (or worse, a thick lip) is about to hit, I dive forward under the wave while grabbing the handle.  As long as I make an effort to submerge the nose I have been spit out the back every time.  I have only been dragged over into the hurt locker once or twice, and it is when I didn't fully commit to pulling the nose under.  This was working on waves in town that were in the 5ft (hawaiian scale) range, so not a lot of juice compared to the country but it was definitely opening my mind to new techniques. 
Is your handles staggered?....I got this idea from my friend Edmund and he uses this technique also. I had these handles installed on my signature board from PRS and used it for a while before they wanted the board retired. Now it's hanging on the wall at the shop

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3358.0

The next step for next winter will be to use Sam's paddle retention clip, and actually turtle the board while using both handles simultaneously, and even using a foot on the tail to really bring the nose under.
I find these handles very use full for turning turtle. I think a clip & rail handles would be another great option for getting through white water.......Hmmmmmmmm   "light bulb on"   ::)

I think depending on the wave, everyone should be able to blast over waves in the head high range the normal standing way, but for going big we need to be more responsible for our equipment.
I totally agree...We all should be responsible for every action taken and should "NOT" put anyone in harms way from your own mistake...........Just my two cent  :)

Aloha.......Sam

Jared K.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
Hi Sam,

North Shore showed her pretty face this morning, so stoked!

Anyway, I have my handles even with each other, but staggering them is a pretty good idea...

Those look SOLID too!

I had 2 prone surfers almost come up and hug me because they had ended up right behind me with some mean whitewater bearing down....pulled the board through, quick jump back on, no worries.  They thought they were about to eat a SUP for breakfast!  I really don't know why more guys/gals aren't rocking the handles!

ALoha, cross your fingers that this little swell hangs on for an evening session.

seasweeper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:21 PM »
Aloha Davey,
To me the key point to going over white water is to meet "power with power". Now if you don't do this and stop paddling then the white wash will run you down. Now if white water is bearing down on me theres two things I'll do (well three, the third one is pray) prior to impact!!!

1) If the wall is too big then I'll paddle as fast as I can, kick the board forward, dive backward and swim under neath the wash and the board should right there. You can read up on this link:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2172.0

2) Or if i think it's manageable then I'll paddle as fast as I can (meet power with power), step back with my left feet (vise verse for regular foot), give one last "hard" stroke (leftside), bend my knees, and climb wash with my paddle down & eyes forward (don't look down, this is key)
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2607.0

Keep in mind that when stepping back your back foot should remain on that side of your stringer and not line up with your front foot. If it does then you'll become weighted on oneside of your board and fall toward that side.

Heres footage of punching through white water I did last year. It's a bit small but you can see the foot work and the last power stroke prior to impact.

I have other footage of going over white water but I'll need to edit it first. As soon as I get the chance I'll post, but here a big hit I did last year. I failed once then succeeded the second time.

I've seen my name has been dropped a couple of time and I really do appreciate it, but really I'm not an expert.......just someone that's willing to share my experience.........Good Luck!!!

Aloha.....Sam

Great info there Sam-mahalo for your kokua!

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »
Another method is to edge the board so that it deflects the wave energy to one side.  That is while paddling out and standing towards the tail, push down one rail into the water, while the other rail raises up.  We've used that for years in surf kayaking, where you also can't duck dive.  Another kayaking technique - don't stop paddling until you're on the other side. When in doubt, keep paddling.
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Thanks Sam & others.  You have helped me learn.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal