Author Topic: How to choose paddle blade size?  (Read 11512 times)

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
How to choose paddle blade size?
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Does everyone believe that smaller paddle blades are better for SUP surfing? I need to buy a surf paddle soon, and I am trying to decide on the size of the blade. For example, between a Werner Nitro/Spanker, or a Kialoa Methane/Shaka Puu.

I'm 6'2 strong guy, and have 20 years of whitewater kayaking experience. I'm pretty good already at bracing and in using C-strokes to make subtle course adjustments mid-stroke, so I'm interested in which blade size/shape would help me take advantage of all those years spent on the river.

I would love to get some wisdom from the experienced surfers here on the following questions:

Does a smaller blade make it easier to get into a wave?

Does a smaller blade make it easier to balance and brace?

Does a larger blade make c-strokes and other course corrective strokes easier?

Which blade size is better while surfing?

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
Sustainable Surf

Ronan "Doc Jacobs"

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to choose paddle blade size?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
May I join the question of kwhilden?

I just got my PSH 9'6" AA today and had the choice between a Kialoa Methane and Shaka Pu'u. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, and want to use my paddle for surfing and distance paddling(maybe a few races).
So my question is similar, if my body's not

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
ronan - not sure if this will help much, but here's a thread re: the Methane paddle.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2081.0

Blane gives a lot of good info on the ideas behind the Methane design.  good thread.

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
May I join the question of kwhilden?

I just got my PSH 9'6" AA today and had the choice between a Kialoa Methane and Shaka Pu'u. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, and want to use my paddle for surfing and distance paddling(maybe a few races).
So my question is similar, if my body's not

I am 5'9 155 lbs. and use meth and pu'u. I prefer meth in the surf and have used on flat, downwind, etc. Both are great but the meth is good. No shoulder pains since using meth.

Aloha

Byron

SD Ryan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
For what it's worth I find that smaller blades provide plenty of catch to get into waves while putting less strain on my shoulders.  Smaller blades do not pull me 'off balance' like the larger blades can when going hard. Finally I find that smaller blades track better through the water, especially if they are designed like the C4 Waterman paddles with the dihedral 'keel' running into the shaft to eliminate flutter and slip.  My personal preference for racing and surfing are 8.5" C4 Waterman paddles.

watermelonman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:11:43 PM »
Pardon my newbieness, could someone explain the dihedral?

surfslider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
I went from a 9.25 Nalu to a Methane and I think I accelerate faster catching waves with the methane.  I would not go back to a larger paddle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »
I'm 6'2, 250 pounds and I paddle a lot. for me smaller blades enable a faster cadence and don't torque my junk shoulders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »
I think it all boils down to personal preference.  I started out with a Shaka Pu'u, then picked up a QuickBlade 9" Kanaha, then a QuickBlade 8" Kanaha, then a Kialoa Methane.  Overall, my absolute favorite is the 9" Kanaha.  I have one that's full carbon fiber and one that's a hybrid with a carbon shaft and fiberglass blade.  I use these two almost 100% of the time.  I love the 9" Kanaha because it gives me a good amount of power with a good amount of flex.  Even though it's a larger blade, I feel like it's pretty easy to use short, quick strokes in addition to the longer more powerful strokes.

Between the Shaka Pu'u and the Methane, I prefer the Shaka Pu'u.

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »
kwhilden,  I think that with a smaller blade like the methane, you would be able use your kayak skills.  The big blades tend to get stuck in the water while the smaller blade seems more manueverable like a kayak blade and has fast cadence like a kayak blade as well.  The big blades can cause injuries to some people as your muscles adjust to this new sport.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 05:15:02 AM »
Kwhilden
I would recommend the Nitro for you.  You will like the quick turnover rate and the smaller more slender blade is lightning fast if you need to accelerate quickly.  Also if your bracing or moving quickly from one side to the other the small blade will allow you to get the quick turns and braces in when you need them.  I would also recommend Werner because they build their paddles using the same construction as we do for the whitewater paddles so you know they will be the toughest.  Stoked
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

board-boy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
I have been using a Kialoa Shaka Pu'u for three months.  I recently bought a Werner Spanker to try it out, but I don't like it.  Here are my comments:

1.  The Spanker aggravates my weak elbow and strains my shoulders, whereas the Shaka Pu'u just doesn't bother me at all.
2.  The Spanker "grabs" the water positively (it is larger and with dihedral), but the Shaka Pu'u just  works more smoothly.  It almost feels like the Shaka Pu'u isn't working, but it gets the job done more smoothly with less body strain.
3.  Another interesting thing is that I can paddle for longer distances with the Shaka Pu'u.  The bigger blade of the Spanker just wears me out earlier!
4.  The Spanker is beautiful and well-made but I think it would be better suited to a larger, more powerful paddler.  I'm 6'2" 180lbs with medium athletic build.

If you are a cyclist, it is like the spinning vs grinding analogy.  if you are a spinner, get the narrower/smaller paddle (Shaka Pu'u or similar.)

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
I just posted something on the "dihedral vs flat" thread regarding my reasoning. 

For cruising, I think the blade size needs to be matched to the drag of the board.  Drag is defined by wetted surface (weight), design, and speed.  The drag is highly sensitive to speed and the speed is uniquely related to paddling cadence.

In a wierd twist, I think the faster your cadence, the bigger your paddle blade should be.

Robert

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:34 PM »
Methane Methane Methane...I use it for everything now am going to do a eight mile race with the maller blade next week...other wize i love it riding waves on my 8/10 SUper Dave boards..would like the handles made less stiff for some more flex when paddling..

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »

In a wierd twist, I think the faster your cadence, the bigger your paddle blade should be.

Robert

Huh?
A larger (9" and up) blade will not allow you to have as high a cadence as a smaller blade will.
Like cadence on a road bike - I can ride at the same speed - with a low cadence (pushing a bigger gear) and have a higher heat rate.
A high cadence (smaller gear - higher rpm) and the same speed equal a much lower heart rate.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard