Author Topic: 12' Naish Glide....  (Read 8765 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
12' Naish Glide....
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »

Aloha,

so I want to get my feet wet on downwinders..I am serious need of some exercise..but I hate jogging so......I have some buddies that are really into it..downwinders not jogging...but the length of their boards are really putting me off..

So I see the Naish has a 12' glide board, that seems to be a good downwind board at a length that is acceptable (storing / handling). I already own two of their boards, which I like so I just wonder how the glide board would work for downwinders riding ocean swell and junk waves?

Anyone got ideas?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: 12' Naish Glide....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »
Taut,

I demoed a few race boards when I was in Oahu this Winter. It will become obvious the differences between boards, even when testing in the flats of Hawaii Kai.

Do yourself a favor and demo the Glide and a few others.

Hook up with Evan. He's got lots of race boards.

For me, raceboards varied from 5-10% faster than a common SUP to 30-40% faster. Do yourself a favor and demo. Race boards are too expensive not to, especially when you have access to all of them.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »

well that sure makes a lot of sense...

I've met Evan at Old Mans, maybe I'll just paddle out and see if he's there :-)

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22:20 PM »
Random Thoughts:

1) Buy Local . . .  OK maybe Buy Maui is more accurate but you can get a great board from 12 to whatever feet made in the islands by folks who know the water you will paddle on.

2)  Right now I would say that if you want to go as fast as your motor will take you then you want 18' and over (cut a hole in your garage and storage will not longer be an issue).  If you want to have a board that is fast enough and a heck of a lot of fun then there are a bunch of 14 footers that are just waiting for you (Vortice, F-14, get in a long line for a Foote, etc.). 

3) The being said I think everyone should have a 12 in their quiver.  I do not view these as head outside to ride the open ocean swells but as stay inside and use the wind swell to hook into waves headed towards shore.  There are so many shoulders you can hop on the way down from Hawaii Kai to San Souci (or Sunset to Haleiwa or ??) that you might never complete the journey . . . 

I think the Glide would work for this, the PSH 12 is probably the best (at least right now), everyone gets out of my way when I swing the 12'2" Ke Nalu towards shore, and Mark will build you a custom foamie too . . .  The neat thing about this is that you do not stick around and hog waves you just catch one and move on.  I also move on even if I miss a wave since the next opportunity is just a couple of hundred yards down the coast.

This sport is exceedingly  8) and, of course a bit expensive  :o and are you looking at a Carveboard too  ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »
Ditto on all the above advice. I know what I want and thats because I had a chance to get on them. Demo is the only way to know what will work for you.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
Random Thoughts:

1) Buy Local . . .  OK maybe Buy Maui is more accurate but you can get a great board from 12 to whatever feet made in the islands by folks who know the water you will paddle on.

2)  Right now I would say that if you want to go as fast as your motor will take you then you want 18' and over (cut a hole in your garage and storage will not longer be an issue).  If you want to have a board that is fast enough and a heck of a lot of fun then there are a bunch of 14 footers that are just waiting for you (Vortice, F-14, get in a long line for a Foote, etc.). 

Okay I'll check them out for sure. Thanks :-)

3) The being said I think everyone should have a 12 in their quiver.  I do not view these as head outside to ride the open ocean swells but as stay inside and use the wind swell to hook into waves headed towards shore.  There are so many shoulders you can hop on the way down from Hawaii Kai to San Souci (or Sunset to Haleiwa or ??) that you might never complete the journey . .

This is EXACTLY what I am a sucker for. Having kited that stretch, and paddled it a few times, I know how nice those waves are...I'm also looking to do excursions around the island...speed is not really the biggest issue...but it would be nice to catch some windswell going down wind though... 

I think the Glide would work for this, the PSH 12 is probably the best (at least right now), everyone gets out of my way when I swing the 12'2" Ke Nalu towards shore, and Mark will build you a custom foamie too . . .  The neat thing about this is that you do not stick around and hog waves you just catch one and move on.  I also move on even if I miss a wave since the next opportunity is just a couple of hundred yards down the coast.

This sport is exceedingly  8) and, of course a bit expensive  :o and are you looking at a Carveboard too  ;D

I already have two Naish boards (11'4'' and 10'6''), and one PSH (9'6''), so I'll check out the PSH too. Btw. I try to never hog waves, even if I  just paddle to one spot...I'll go around..I do the paddle against the wind in Waikiki, ride the different breaks on the way back...kind of thing...

Anyhoo, thanks so much for the advice.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:48:49 AM »
One final thought. If you're looking for a deal, the XP Vortice can be bought on Oahu for $1999 right now. They are the most racing bang for the buck, at that price.

But you can't surf it.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:47:35 PM »
I've had my Naish Glide for about six months now and I've done heaps of down-winders with it.. and I love it.

IMO the PSH 12' Gun and the Glide are like chalk and cheese.. so try before you buy.. btw the Glide works pretty good in the waves.

Also.. I did a down-winder with a friend on a 14' Bark are after about 1 1/2 hours there was not much in it between the two boards.

How heavy are you?.. and what type of down-wind swells do you have.

The Glide works better in shorter steep swells and the longer boards would work better on the bigger rolling swells. (IMO)

DJ

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
Att: DavidJohn

I'm coming down to about 200lb these days..hoping for 10 lb more at some point...
I was looking at (both the Naish and PSH) guns, but they aren't made for long distance right? Looks awesome though.

For the downwinders, I think the waves are rolling..very messy IMO, but I was hoping to attack the reef breaks a long the way too...

I think I could go to 14' in terms of storage but I guess 11'-12' is the travel limit on Hawaiian if I want to bring the board around. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
Att: DavidJohn

I'm coming down to about 200lb these days..hoping for 10 lb more at some point...
I was looking at (both the Naish and PSH) guns, but they aren't made for long distance right? Looks awesome though.

For the downwinders, I think the waves are rolling..very messy IMO, but I was hoping to attack the reef breaks a long the way too...

I think I could go to 14' in terms of storage but I guess 11'-12' is the travel limit on Hawaiian if I want to bring the board around. 

I'm sure you know that the Naish Glide is a very different board to the Naish Gun.. I'm about your weight and I found it very hard to balance on the gun in choppy water.. They are great looking boards (both Naish gun and PSH gun) and if you were very..very.. light you might be able to use them it as a distance board I guess.. The Glide has a lot of volume and big boxy 6" thick rails and about 30" wide so choppy water and long distances is no problem.

One good thing about the Glide is while doing a down-wind run if you want to take it into the waves it's ok and will handle a wipe out unlike most other downwind boards that are often pretty fragile.

DJ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
Taut...I had 70 lbs on you when we did the downwind showcase and I got to ride the Glide. The Glide handled me with ease. I'm looking for a pure downwind board so it wasn't one of my 1st choices but I think it would be great for what you're talking about. I wish I had gotten the chance to get it out in the wind but weather didn't cooperate. From the feel of it though the Glide would eat up a long distance down winder and still be able to surf breaks along the way.
Drop dead gorgeus board too!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:09:16 AM »
I'm sure you know that the Naish Glide is a very different board to the Naish Gun.. I'm about your weight and I found it very hard to balance on the gun in choppy water.. They are great looking boards (both Naish gun and PSH gun) and if you were very..very.. light you might be able to use them it as a distance board I guess.. The Glide has a lot of volume and big boxy 6" thick rails and about 30" wide so choppy water and long distances is no problem.

One good thing about the Glide is while doing a down-wind run if you want to take it into the waves it's ok and will handle a wipe out unlike most other downwind boards that are often pretty fragile.

DJ

oh, wow I didn;t even think of how fragile these boards are.

Do you know if Iggy designed that board too? I'm a long time fan of his shapes :-) I wish they'd try to make a SUP version of the hybrid shortboard.

I need to get into a store. Was thinking of stopping by the store on Maui next weekend..maybe they have a rental there :-)

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:53:55 AM »
I picked up my new Naish Glide about a week ago and am very happy with it, but I must admit it can't be the best at everything. The glide makes a nice all purpose board for someone who is primarily going to surf something else. In other words downwind paddling, exploring and fitness paddling, fishing, and ocassional coastal surfing runs. It is well made. In fact I was amazed at the quality of construction and the nice features like the wood nose block, wood fin, windsurf mast screw, quality pad, protective bag, and great graphics. It is also very light. I have not surfed it yet (no waves) but I can definitely see it has the strength and handling to surf, unlike some more fragile downwinders that are longer narrower and almost certainly faster. I would also say that something like the PSH 12' Gun would probably be better for downwind coastal in and out surfing runs, where surfing is a big part of the goal.  The primary advantage the glide probably has over many other boards you might consider is that it is very stable for heavier guys without giving up too much in many other categories. I am 215 lbs. The first thing I noticed was that the board was very stable as long as I minded that pulled in nose just a ocassionally. Definitely stable enogh to fish from. Next, I noticed it cut through oncoming wind chop quite well. Nice when you are not always headed downwind, or trying to keep up with a friend fishing in a Kayak. I was kind of hoping the board would be even faster with the wind behind me and on flat calm water, but I have not had it out in open ocean swells where I think it may catch swells and really shine. I have only used it in close period windchop on bays. It handles well in goofy conditions there where the tide pulls one way the waves another and a boat wake comes along another direction. It feels faster than traditional boards like a Starborad 12'6" or a Munoz 12' Superglide, but not hugely faster. I would say that it would be hard to make another board that is 12' x 293/4 go faster than this. But a board that was longer or narrower could. If you go longer you are prabably going to give up more on the surfing end. If you go narrower you are probably going to give up some stability. I could see myself wanting something 14' and something 12'. Until then, the Glide is a quality board that handles well and works in lots of situations. I am looking forward to getting it into the waves after work this week although it will not be my primary board for surf, and planning a coastal run soon. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:56:35 AM by paddledaddy »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »
awesome, sounds great.

I will have to include my wife in the calculations as she does the distance paddling while I surf more...I am not sure if she would enjoy the gun shapes, but I can always ask :-)

I am hoping to test some boards on Maui this weekend. Depending on the wind / wave / dive conditions, we are planning to get some time in the water.

I already have surfing boards, so that is not really an issue...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal