Author Topic: Uli Lopez review  (Read 12586 times)

SHARKBAIT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Uli Lopez review
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
Here is a mini review of the Lopez that I thought people might like.

Product:

First let me say that the customer service is excellent!  Jim got me the board in one day, which was awesome.  The product and workmanship are first class.  The new pump is much easier to get up to pressure.  It takes 350 strokes to get the board to 17.5 psi.  The board felt a bit flexy, sort of bouncy at that psi so I went up to 20 psi which took another 35 or so strokes.  20 psi is IMO where the board should be.  I also think it paddles faster at that pressure and surfs with a more positive feel.  In total it takes about 5 min to pump it up and is not very hard to do.  The board it self it LIGHT and is easy to carry around. It is also a great match with the new Werner 3 piece paddle.  The board, pump, and paddle fit perfectly in the extra large north face duffle.  It also still has some room for a wetsuit and booties if you need.   The paddle just has to go in first as its longest piece is 35”. Note I am 6’ and about 220 lbs with a full wetsuit.

Shape: As you can see from the photos the board has a good amount of rocker.  I surfed it in steep beach break waves from shoulder high to a few feet over head and never pearled it.  Late takeoffs?  No problem.  It also has a bit of tail rocker.  The fins are toed in a bit.  It is about 30” wide. Compared to the 11’ uli that my brother in law has it is a Porsche next to a Lincoln.

Paddling / Surfing:  My “Normal board” is an infinity competitor shape 10’6” by 29 1/2” wide.  Compared to this the Lopez has less glide and the take off zone is about 10 feet closer in.  I was pretty much standing with the long boarders.  Like the Starboard 9’8” fish I rode a few times the last stroke is “In” the wave, not before the wave if that makes sense.  You don’t glide in.  You also sort of take off on the nose a bit then step back for the bottom turn.  The board has toed in fins, which seems to give the board some drag when paddling?  Some times I felt like I was dragging something. I am not sure about this and I don’t think it had any effect on overall performance or wave catching ability.   It took me about 10 min to find the paddling sweet spot (remember the Lopez is 7 inches shorter than my normal board) After that it was no problem and felt very stable.  There is some Yaw.  I could get about 3 to 4 stokes per side before switching, but I think this will improve with time on the board.  Going over white water is really easy on this.  The nose just breaks through and you pop right up and over.  I got this thing out in short period beach break with no channel without a problem where Long boarders were having difficulty.  Turning the board to catch the wave is EASY, EASY, EASY.  I could not believe how simple it was to spin around.  I only surfed it for 3 days.  Conditions were just OK.  Maybe 8’ faces on the sets.  Pretty hollow LA beach break (el porto).  Not a lot of room to maneuver.. Pretty much drop in, bottom turn and head for the exit.  Most of the waves closed out eventually. Getting drilled on the Lopes is also no problem.  I took it in the ribs a few times and laughed it off!  What a nice change that is!  In general, the Lopez surfs pretty good!  It is not as fast in a straight line as my Infinity, nor does it paddle as fast, but for a board without rails you can lay a really nice bottom turn and if you surf off the tail it turns really well.  I surfed it in 6 to 8 foot hollow beach break and felt very comfortable.  It can be sort of pumped to increase speed but you don’t have to.  In fact, I would rather surf the Lopez in these conditions than my Infinity, which has less rocker.  I really like the shape and think that it is a pretty great compromise between all around stability and surf ability.  A smaller lighter surfer might want a slightly narrower shape, which would give the board more speed, but for me this was perfect.  I know the board will get even better with a few more sessions as I get to know her.  I think that the more aggressive I surf the Lopez the more the board will shine.  The greatest thing about the Uli is the wow factor.  I paddled into the line up and got the usual stink eye from the crawlers until one of the locals shouts “dude he is on a blow up!”  People just could not believe it.  10 minutes later they were hooting and hollering as I dropped in and shouting “nice wave blow up dude” as I paddled back.  It was all pretty funny.  To sum it all up I cannot imagine a better travel board!  The Lopez surfs great, is very stable and can handle anything that I could imagine wanting to surf (your hueveos might be larger than mine).  It is light, easy to inflate and deflate, and super well made.  I love it!  To Jim and the guys at Uli… GREAT JOB!

Nav

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Uli Lopez review
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
Thanks for that write up Sharkbait. I'll be getting one of these eventually, though I'll likely start out with the 10' Steamroller to have as a backup SUP...

Cheers! 8)

wgsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I have been waiting to hear more about the Lopez, it sounds interesting.  I do an annual Fiji trip in August and this will be the first year that I want to take a SUB.  As everyone knows, it is too hard to travel with a regular board, but the Lopez sounds like the hot ticket.  I will be looking to try/get one before my trip.

WG

kurtr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »
Thanks for the great review, Sharkbait!  I like your writing style: conversational and entertaining.

I'm supposed to be on a "pre-order list," but I understood they wouldn't be available until the end of the month.  Glad to see they're already coming out.

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
SHARKBAIT-

I have a 10' Steamroller ULI which I love, but I have been looking for a three piece carbon fiber paddle. Did you make that Werner three piece yourself or buy it?

You are right about Jim,Chris and Clinton: They are the best.

Thanks,

ECSUP

SHARKBAIT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
paddle is just out... got it from surfingsports... kinda spendy but nothing else will fit in the duffle.  I like it so far!

http://surfingsports.com/werner_paddles.asp

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »
SHARKBAIT-

Thanks a lot, I going to get a three piece Nitro.

ECSUP

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »
It takes 350 strokes to get the board to 17.5 psi.  The board felt a bit flexy, sort of bouncy at that psi so I went up to 20 psi which took another 35 or so strokes.  20 psi is IMO where the board should be. 

first...glad you like the board...have fun with it and thanks for the write up... :D...you surf ElPorto?!?!?!...i go there all the time!!!....once this wind dies ill be seeing ya there...

second...Aieeeeeeee.......ok thats good but no more than that....since you already have the big board you can easily see that the skin of the ULILopez is waaaaayyy thinner...so 20psi is the limit or else POW pshhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :o...that new pump you got is SUPER easy to overinflate the board...i already blew up one so....be careful...

use your pressure gauge always...dont bang it around and no water droplets in it or itll die...if it does let me know or Jim well get you a new one OR...any pool supply store has um for like 4$...

wait i got pics and more importantly *.Gif animations.... ;D

SHARKBAIT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:17 AM »
steamroller, thanks for the info... I was REALLY tempted to take the board to about 22 lbs... I guess I won't be doing that!  Is 20 psi OK or should i back it off? 

Mostly I am up in Nor cal so I don't surf El Porto that often but next time I do I will PM you and we can ULI the place! ;D

rcfa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »

Thanks SHARKBAIT for the Uli Lopez review.

Steamroller had already provided some of his feedback about the new ULI Board, but it is always nice to hear multiple opinions !

Jim (Uli) had told me about the new “pumps” and it seems that they really work well based on your comments too.

I do have some follow up questions to you if you do not mind .. it is about the Werner 3-section paddles.

I was really happy when I first heard about the new Werner 3-sect paddles… and I see that you are using the new Nitro … which has a narrower blade  than the Spanker.

As you mentioned, the Uli does not “glide” as much as a regular board, so did you consider using the wider new 3-sect Spanker ?  Wouldn’t that give you a stronger push while paddling ?

Or did you chose the new Nitro because of being easier to put it into a duffle bag ?

Also, what size of paddle you got from the 3-sect Werner … the 78-82 ˝, or the 82-86 ˝. ?

I am 5’11”, and it seems that if following the basic “paddle size X height” rule, I should get the 78-82 ˝.
But I always hear that sometimes it is easier to adjust to a paddle that it is a bit longer than one that feels a bit shorter.  ???

Any advice from you or anyone about this ?

Thanks,
Ren

SHARKBAIT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:49 AM »
I have had three paddles in my life... C4 = big blade, Kialoa shaka pu = smaller, Werner = smallest....I like the werner the best followed by the kialoa.  Higher reps, faster strokes seems too work better for me in the surf.  I think this can go too far.  For instance I have used the infinity otter tail and I find that too small.  I am 6' and I use the 78 to 82.  You will not need anything bigger than that.  6" over your head for surf and maybe 8- 10 for distance.  Werner is the only 3 piece I know of and I needed someting portable to go with the Lopez.  So far so good as far as construction and durability are concearned.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
sharkbait:
   since you've also ridden the starboard 9.8, could you say how the lopez compares to it in terms of stability and wave-catching ability, etc?  thanks!

SHARKBAIT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
can't comment too much on the 9'8"... I only rode it a few times.  It was not my cup of tea.  from what I remember both are very stable.  Both were more than able to float me.  Both caught waves pretty easily.  take off zone is about 10 feet closer in than a bigger sup. Lopez has way more rocker. Lopez is easier to get out. Lopez is lighter I think.  Lopez has a more boyant feel (Uli bounce). 

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
I just want to second this review. I was in SD last weekend and Jim gave me a loaner, and I used it for two sessions. I pumped it to recommended 15 PSIs.

My review may be summed up with one sentence: my Lopez is being made now and Jim promises to ship it this week. Should I say anything more? :)

yes, its extremely lite (I walked to the beach 8 minutes and I never stopped and never changed the arm)
yes, its soft on the impact
yes, its stable
yes, takeoff and first turn is how it is expected.(linter, to me its very similar to the moves I do on my 9'8" fish :))
yes, i was surfing it in the closing waves (coronado beach, silverstrand beach - challenging conditions,  no other surfers though)
yes, the way you put the paddle inside the two eyes and use it as a carrying handle is brilliant

one drawback: its kinda bouncy. if you hop on it, or kinda even sit down and stand up you can feel the vibration in the nose and in the tail. So I dont blame you Sharky for the overinflating it. the idea crossed my mind too. But... I got used to this fast and I am sure as I paddle it more I'll get more comfortable too. Again, when I was on the wave already moving, I wasn't noticing this, and thats whats important. If there is some softness going out, I don't care.

I am 175 lb, and another thing I had to adjust myself is floatation. This is an easy adjustment.

It was a very easy decision for me (to order the one).

Now about 3 piece paddle. Jimmy Terrel (QuickBlade) just build a paddle for me. It is 3 piece. Each piece is less than 26.5". Total length is 75". The way he build it, he cut the shaft at 45 degrees. Then he built two ferules (cylinders) about 5-6" each. So there is 5 pieces alltogether. You put each ferule inside the two adjasent shaft pieces  and then use electric tape to secure around the shaft.

I didn't take it to SD because Jim provided me with a paddle too. So I decided not to irritate my both putting my paddle into the suitcase (married people will understand what I mean).

So, get ULI, will travel...

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
ooops a typo in my last sentence, I meant: not to irritate my "boss"

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal