Author Topic: Cool video!  (Read 4832 times)

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Cool video!
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »
We need more SUP videos like this... how cool would it have been to have some SUPs in the mix...pretty simple but really takes you there.  Enjoy

http://jibofo.blip.tv/#1987600
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:51:11 PM by Shawn Michael »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cool video!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Loved it.. Thanks..  :)

DJ

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
DJ...Those photos from your downwinder were great, looking forward to seeing a video...gopro?

I love this video because you feel like you are there whereas some of them you just feel like you are watching.

Someday I am going to do that run...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:06:29 PM by Shawn Michael »

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
No disrespect to the video, the people in it, there ability or it's producer...... but I feel it's in the WRONG category/forum >:(

Cool video though!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:24:04 PM by Sam Pa'e »

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
I think Sam is referring to this thread in his comments http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3144.15 . Just an opinion.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
No disrespect to the video, the people in it, there ability or it's producer...... but I feel it's in the WRONG category/forum >:(

Cool video though!!!

Good point.  Lets move it over to Race, Downwinders.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »
Sorry bout that.  "Wrong forum" I guess that means you dont like OC videos at the standup zone?  I would rather see an SUP vid of the run but I dont see any.  Maybe someone could get inspired how easy to make a great video. 

When folk put up the angry face when your just trying to share something cool I wonder why I bother.  ???

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »
"Wrong forum" I guess that means you dont like OC videos at the standup zone?

Hi Shawn,

That video is great.  Some of the runners in the middle give a pretty good idea of what a Maliko run feels like on a moderate wind day.  I think you are right that a good stand up downwind video is needed, as I have yet to see one that does any justice to the experience. 

We have always had (and appreciated) posts on standupzone from other related sports that tie in to our thing, and I know that for instance, people have mentioned to me how much value they have found in OC posts from Rambo and others, and in particular that Danny Ching video. 

My guess is that the comments above were more about the categorization issues that have been coming up.  We have been (imperfectly) moving out of place posts out of the General category to more appropriate locations.  This just makes the site better, more consistant and more usable.  I missed your post, and that left it out there alone for critique. 

Thanks to everyone for making the effort to post in the best category.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »
Shawn... Awsome video...Don't  care what category it was in...

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »
rockin videos ! thanks for posting that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
Great vid...reminds me of some of John Ashleys vids. Capturing some of the surroundings for interest. I've been meaning to do some similar stuff but always forget to turn the camera on. Driving through the dunes on the Cape on the way to the beach is pretty cool and would make for some good footage. Its the same reasons DJ's travelogues are so popular....interesting background.

Not to be a pain but I think general was a reasonable category for this. Based on the previous discussion the consensus was that Vids found on the web or 'holy shit" pics/vids could stay there. This fits that bill. It also fits in general for another reason...the reason it was posted was as a discussion of video technique...not as a personal downwind session vid. This could apply to SUP surf, fishing, cruising...you name it. It wasn't posted purely to focus on downwind.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
The whole idea of making those runs on an SUP is mind boggling to us novices who live in flat water conditions...crossing those heavy channels? If you guys make these runs a lot, it would be great to see.  There seems to be a real lack of any good downwind/racing SUP videos...the surfski/oc stuff is so cool...even the promotional videos for old races that were chopped together like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0B3H6qJlQ

obviously not great quality but just really captures the feeling IMO. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »
I hesitate to say this, because it's going to sound kind of twinky, but I think the regular Maliko folks would agree that the Maliko run shown was a pretty lightweight one. No big smashing waves on the breakwall, no spray whipping off the swells. Looked like nice, mild conditions.

We do need to get some good videos of the experience, I think it would pump folks up. Unfortunately I'm headed back to Portland pretty soon, so I can't do it until next winter. And from what I understand the summer runs are a bit more mellow. Or is it just that the swells from the side are gone?

Anyway, I'll do some Oregon Cast runs soon and film those.I really don't think they'll be much like a full blown Maliko run, but who knows.

I probably won't get a chance to say goodbye to everyone, but of course I'll be back in the fall. Thanks so much to all of you folks for putting up with me. Nice to have all these good friends that share these great moments. Have a great summer.

Randy, I expect you'll be perfecting the Foote Maliko 14 in my absence. Let me know how MK IV, V or VI work out so I can place my order in plenty of time for the winter runs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
You Gotta do it, looks like a pretty simple set up

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:39:20 AM »
What a downwinder marketing tool!... a video of Jeremy with a camera mount on the back of his new Foote Maliko14, just like Shawn's video. Showing his footwork and paddling technique at Maliko......(Shawn the brainchild).

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal