Author Topic: Using the Carveboard w/ Kahuna Big Stick to Practice Surfing Technique  (Read 32528 times)

Blane Chambers

After some really fun sessions and exploring the possibilities of using the Carveboard along with the Kahuna Bamboo Big Stick it is clear that this is the number one way to simulate progressive SUP surfing on dry land.       The benefits of the 2 products together to improve your SUP surfing are insane!     I'm already learning new things in just a week that will help my surfing greatly.

Unless you have good waves everyday, you can actually learn a lot more in a shorter period of time doing this than waiting for the surf to come around to you.      So many things you can focus on.  (Plus, it's so much freaking fun!!!)
Really great to work on:
Paddle control while riding the wave.    How to switch sides smoothly.    Where to position the paddle while turning.
Generating speed with carving turns
Bottom Turns
Backside Cutbacks
Frontside Cutbacks
Layback Cutbacks
Off the Tops
Full rail turns with power
Smoothing out a jerky style or just working on your style period.
Compressing your body

Even for expert level SUP surfers it really allows to start fine tuning things or work on new things.     It's definetly one of those things the better you get at it the more you get into it which leads to the more you get out of it.     One things for certain.  Your surfing will get better!

As we get pics and video we will post them here for you.       For now, some pics from the other day...

Byron putting his surf style into a bottom turn simulation.    Looks cool.

Austin showing you don't have to be a light weight to benefit from it

Layback Cutback practice.    The mechanics of this turn are identical to the real thing.    I wish I had this set up when I was trying to learn this turn in the surf!

Next up, how to get rolling...

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
cool insight Blane. i always sort of thought Carve boards where a bit of an overpriced marketing gimick. never tried one though and it looks like you guys can do some serious carving with plenty of angle in your turns. so you think they are worth the money ?

Blane Chambers

Well, they're not cheap but I'm gonna say absolutely worth every penny.       I'll post all kinds of info soon...    Best fun thing to do for us if you cannot get good waves.     Just a note...   I buy my stuff just like everyone else.    I get my stuff from the Bike Factory.   Cool people and great service.     

tumbledry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for the helpful info and stoke Blane. Because of it I am picking up a Carveboard. I just hope I dont hurt myself too much lol

Blane Chambers

Stoked tumbledry...   You will be too!   

Carveboard Website
http://www.carveusa.com/index.php

Kahuna Stick Website
http://kahunacreations.com/

This is all new to Carveboard and the Kahuna Creations people so we're all learning this combination along the way.     What we found out is for carving downhill where you don't need to push with the stick, having the stick close to the height of your paddle is best.    This way it reaches the ground in the same way your paddle reaches the water while surfing.

My stick is 6' which just so happens to be around the height of my paddle.    For my taste it feels perfect and identical to surfing...   This is the goal.   As close to the real thing as possible.   

Same turn as above with a very similar surf move

Backside Carve on land....

Backside Carve for real...

All the same body mechanics and the feel on land is pretty darn good!!     More to come...    Here's that other video again too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js2KEfGWS9Q

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
can you practice cross stepping on it?  can you generate speed out of it on flatland?  and, do you use the Stick to get more speed?
   seems pretty cool.  i did a quick craigslist search and see they go used for around $200.

Byronmaui

can you practice cross stepping on it?  can you generate speed out of it on flatland?  and, do you use the Stick to get more speed?
   seems pretty cool.  i did a quick craigslist search and see they go used for around $200.
Linter the cross stepping is probably a bad idea at least for me because of the size of board. You can generate speed in the flatland and you can also get speed from the stick. Blane has the flatland pump really wired which is almost like being in the water and pumping.

If anyone gets a Kahuna Big Stick get the bamboo because if you look at the pics it flexes just like the carbon paddles. The similarities are definetly there.

Aloha

Byron

P.S. Blane don't fall asleep at the wheel and forget to get more footage for tips... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:37:16 PM by Bmaui »

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
can you ride these in front facing parallel stance and propel yourself with the big stick or do you always ride in surf (skate) stance?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
can you ride these in front facing parallel stance and propel yourself with the big stick or do you always ride in surf (skate) stance?

Lobes I don't think the board is wide enough to do that.. so you would always ride in the surf stance.. even when propeling yourself with the big stick.

btw.. You should come down today (sat) .. it's glass..  ;D

DJ

Blane Chambers

Here's an updated version of "Minds Eye"     The more I do this the more fun it is becoming!     Surf the AM dawn patrol...   Go to work...   Sneak a quicky Carveboard session in the afternoon behind my house when its dry... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFKe7NYDNY   

What I really like about the Carveboard is it forces you to build your legs stronger.    At the end of a long run your legs are BURNING.     Makes you surf better and stronger.    Best part...  IT IS SOOOOOOOO FREAKING FUN!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Using the Carveboard w/ Kahuna Big Stick to Practice Surfing Technique
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:13:15 AM »
sweet revised vid, blane.  thanks!

meanwhile, from your experience, where would you place the weight cutoff for getting a more flexy carveboard vs the less flexy.  i think you're using the less flexy.  how much do you weigh?

thanks.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
That is effing COOL!

Blane Chambers

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »
meanwhile, from your experience, where would you place the weight cutoff for getting a more flexy carveboard vs the less flexy.  i think you're using the less flexy.  how much do you weigh?
thanks.

I weigh around 175 to 180 lbs.     I have a old 9 ply which I don't think they make anymore but I also have a 8 ply now and it is much more flexy but it still works unreal.        Its the board in the revised video (Blk shirt/red shorts)       Carveboard has 2 flexes they promote.   Under 200 lbs and over.   I like the one for over 200 lbs but its just a personal preference...   The one for under 200 lbs works unreal too...

John,  yes, it is soooooo effing cool!!!!!!!!! ;)

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
Blane, I watched your video of surfing the carveboard.  That looks pretty fun.  In an earlier post I talked about going up in the steep hills of Kalama Valley in Hawaii Kai.  You gotta try it there now that you've got that much proficiency.  It's steeper than what you are doing but you could use the stick for braking.  The street has some turns and super steep driveways to bank into.  It's kind of like what you are doing in the video but way more exaggerated.  When we did it in the 90's we had hand brakes just in case we got going too fast, so be careful to keep carving so you don't pick up too much speed.  It is crazy how much speed you will get going into the carves into the driveway and up into the sidestreets.  You actually go so fast that you can powerslide the carveboard and you catch airs going off the edge of the curb in the driveways.  You know what.  I am going to get a screenshot on Google earth for you to show you the route.

tumbledry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
I'd like to see where that route is Diesel.  I'm in the area and maybe one day I'll be able to carve a steep hill like that.  ;)

Thanks for the vids Blane! Just picked up a Carveboard and I am trying to learn how to pump the thing in the flats. I've quickly found for the beginner, the Carveboard is easier to ride going down a slight downhill. Any tips on pumping the flats?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal