Author Topic: Training - Long Distance Pumping (LDP) - Skateboarding  (Read 11593 times)

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Training - Long Distance Pumping (LDP) - Skateboarding
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »
Was recently thinking of buying a longboard (skateboard) and then came across information on LDP skating.  Essentially pumpin the board w/ feet never leaving the ground.  It seams like a very niche sport at the moment but the motion if you look at videos seems that it would be a good core workout.  I guess these guys can go about 12-15 mph using this method.

http://pavedwave.org/
(the "HOW TO PUMP" section has some videos as well.)

I saw the Carve Board Post too.  I was all crazy about getting an LDP board but after seeing the pictures and videos blane and bryon put up, i'm now torn.

Anyone out there try ldp skating?

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Training - Long Distance Pumping (LDP) - Skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »
I actually bought my Loaded Vanguard specifically to LDP. It's very flexy and pumps well on the flats. It can take mellow hills but at speed it gets a little sketchy. First run of the day on the Maui adventure, I missed a turn to bleed off speed and found myself in a straight line full bomb and got the wobbles and bailed like superman into the pavement at speed. It wasn't pretty and I pretty much only had one good arm for the rest of the day. I had pads, helmet, and gloves which guaranteed saved me an immediate trip to the hospital.

If you are torn between a carveboard and a longboard just ask your self where will you be riding it? The carveboard needs hills. It is way too heavy and slow to be fun on the flats. The carvestick may be a better option but I doubt you'll ever be able to pump it like a longboard. However on hills, it is the way to go. It carves very well and as long as you have enough width in the road, you can manage your speed by carving hard. Ad a Kahuna stick and you have that much more stability in the turn. You DO NOT want to go fast on the carveboard because you will get the wobbles early and eat it.

Get both I say!

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Training - Long Distance Pumping (LDP) - Skateboarding
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
if you ever talk to james peters of pavedwave tell him to get over to this forum (if he isn't already). somewhere on silverfish he's been gracious enough to have given me credit for influencing him to start stand up paddling. one day i'd like to carve some runs or paddle a downwinder with the dude. oh yeah, and if you ever hear about some shapeshifter within all those skateboarding circles... yep, one and the same.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard