Author Topic: Calories Burned on SUP ??  (Read 25790 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Calories Burned on SUP ??
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:42 PM »
Hey Everyone, just had a quick question regarding fitness / SUP.....anyone have a HR monitor that they have been using to track their calorie burn while on SUP?  I have been flat water paddling when I can't get down to the ocean and was curious if anyone has some stats they would like to share that may be relevant....I am 32 yrs old and weigh 238.  I have been doing a 5.2 mile loop in appx 1:30 and was just curious if there was anyway to put a # on that.  Thx!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Calories Burned on SUP ??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
The Garmin 305 GPS frequently comes with a HR strap, and it can be added. I have one and i used it quite a bit when I was training in Portland. There are some general rules of thumb for calories burned for a specific target heart rate and weight. You can approximate target heart rate as 220 minus your age, so for me at age 62 thats 220-62= 158

When i'm doing intervals I work at 90% heart rate or approximately 145. It's very hard for me to reach that paddling, but I can hold 140 for about five miles.

The calculation for calories burned uses your heart rate and your weight. I haven't found what the conversion factor is anywhere, so I found my own by getting on an elliptical machine that had a calories burned calculator, For my weight (245) and my target heart rate of 140 the calculator said I was burning about 800 calories per hour. I suspect that is nonsense, but I like the sound of it.

In running the rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile. I suspect paddling might burn a little more, but it's not certain. Furthermore the calories you're really interested in are NET calories, ie. the difference between sitting on the couch consuming air, and paddling. I suspect that's something more like 80 per mile.

Bottom line, I figure two miles per beer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:14:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply PB, really appreciate the detailed explanation as well.  So happy to be done with winter up here in NY - lakes have finally thawed out and thick suits are coming off soon!!!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:39:59 AM »
this could be a very lengthy answer. a few books long...
to keep things simple however, there is no one answer.
how much does "a" car burn ? what car, how is it driven ? you get my point.
what sup dicipline, what conditions, who's paddling, how fit is he etc...
if your  goal is to actually burn a lot of calories, again keeping it very simple, do intervals. paddle relaxed for a few minutes and really hard for a few more, then repeat. how many minutes, how hard...hundreds of options and protocols. just make it hard on yourself and you'll be burning calories like they are going out of style. last but not least, remember to progresively work up to the hard work. don't make your body do something way harder than it's used to or you'll just overtrain and regress.
most important, enjoy being out there !

johnonthecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:50:32 AM »
Hey Noa,
Sounds like surfing a beachbreak would be good interval training.  What do you mean by overtraining and regressing?  I haven't been SUPing for long and would like to avoid this.
John

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
IMHO, by paddling SUP, you burn a certain amount of calories right when you do it but you also raise your cardio level so you are constantly burning more calories throughout the day (even when at rest).  That is my understanding of how your cardio works.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »
Really depends on your genetic makeup.  A lot of people maintain high metabolism after a workout. Some don't. I had a lot of testing done because I've always been extremely active and always been fat. People look at me and assume I either eat a lot or don't do much. I get at least three times the exercise of most people and pretty normal meals. My wife is diabetic, so I tend to eat to a very healthy standard. There isn't any bread in the house that doesn't have enough fiber to show sticks and twigs. I'm 6'2" and weigh 250--on any fat scale I'm considered obese. Believe me, it's not all muscle, I have no problem pinching an inch.

Turns out my metabolic rate drops down to rest levels almost as soon as I stop exercising. Genetically, I'm the guy that survives the famine and still has some strength. Like all these Hawaiians that survived the long sea voyage and could still run the boat. The skinny guys that burn food like a wolverine went over the side three weeks from Samoa. You just never see a hawaiian that isn't wearing every Spam Musabe they ever ate. Even the most ripped ones have a little padding on the muscle.

So I've got that going for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lillyadams79

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »
Monitoring <a href="http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned">Calories Burned</a> during your workout routine could be really helpful in keeping you motivated. I use this website that tells you how many calories were burned during the exercise you did that day http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_burned

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
I just bought one of the BodyBuggs, which basically demonstrates I'm a sucker for anything that promises to tell me I can eat a little more. I haven't given it a serious try yet, but it's impressive web/hardware integration. Only problem is that it isn't waterproof. WTF, says I, the thing has one button, two lights, and a mini USB port and a USB recharged battery  and they couldn't make it waterproof!!??!!

Ah, well. I'll probably toast at least one.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
Genetically, I'm the guy that survives the famine and still has some strength. Like all these Hawaiians that survived the long sea voyage and could still run the boat. The skinny guys that burn food like a wolverine went over the side three weeks from Samoa. You just never see a hawaiian that isn't wearing every Spam Musabe they ever ate. Even the most ripped ones have a little padding on the muscle.

LOL.  So *that* explains why Locals are big.  Makes sense to me.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
Hey Everyone, just had a quick question regarding fitness / SUP.....anyone have a HR monitor that they have been using to track their calorie burn while on SUP?  I have been flat water paddling when I can't get down to the ocean and was curious if anyone has some stats they would like to share that may be relevant....I am 32 yrs old and weigh 238.  I have been doing a 5.2 mile loop in appx 1:30 and was just curious if there was anyway to put a # on that.  Thx!

I was paddling about 5 miles usually paddling 1/2 mile into the wind and 1/2 mile with. My average heart rate was between 75 to 80%, it would take me about 1 hour 15 minutes. My heart rate monitor said I was burning between 1250 and 1300 calories. I'm 48 years old and am about 6 feet and weigh 200 pounds.

trainerjon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:38 AM »
I just bought one of the BodyBuggs, which basically demonstrates I'm a sucker for anything that promises to tell me I can eat a little more. I haven't given it a serious try yet, but it's impressive web/hardware integration. Only problem is that it isn't waterproof. WTF, says I, the thing has one button, two lights, and a mini USB port and a USB recharged battery  and they couldn't make it waterproof!!??!!

Ah, well. I'll probably toast at least one.

Bodybugg is a great tool for at least getting a baseline number for daily calories burned - but more importantly to learn about exactly what is in the food that you are eating  ;D .  I used it for a couple of years and learned a ton from it.  Some days I'd burn 1800 calories, some days 4000 when I rode my bike hard.  It should be a great learning experience, and yes, not waterproof because it measures heat as well as movement and water would probably screw up the calculations (it doesn't calculate based on heart rate).  Hope that goes well for you!

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:26:54 AM »
I'm loving my Garmin 310XT. There are about 10 of us in NC who are using this. Then, you have the option of using Garmin Connect on your computer or on their website to track your workouts. It's been amazing. Once you set it up, it'll give you how many calories you're burning. I can't speak for their caloric measurement algorithms, but it's a good tool. I use it with a heart rate monitor strap. Now this isn't cheap. I think my buddy just bought his for $348, but if you do heart-rate-based training, it's vital. 
Nothing heals like water time

gayoc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 08:57:09 AM »
If you really want to burn a lot of calories in your body then you have to do some exercise that has a regular interval. This could help your body burn more. And, back it up with eating lower calorie foods.

mprevost

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »

It depends.  On flat water, when I am not fighting to balance, I can paddle hard, so I burn more calories.  My guess (probably not too far off) is between 400-800 calories per hour.  SOmething between a brisk walk and a light jog.   Only the most fit paddlers are going to be able to exceed that.  For a comarison, running 8 mph for an hour at my weight (178) gives me about 900 calories, give or take.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard