Author Topic: Jeremy's MALIKO 14  (Read 29686 times)

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jeremy's MALIKO 14
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
First of all I have to give a big thanks to Bill and the guys up at Mark Nelson's shop for building this great board. I took the board out today for her maiden voyage with Bolt Upright. The conditions weren't the best, but I needed to hit the water. The board made the conditions seem a lot better than they were. I can't wait to get this board out in better conditions.

Rick, I like the feel of the wax as opposed to a pad. I do keep weight in mind for my downwind boards, so I guess that's two strikes against a pad.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »
wow Jeremy !!! she looks fast ! beautifull lines, very impressive. you'll be able to absolutely smoke on her.
i also really like how simple this board is. no pad, no rudder, nothing. just the essence, pure and clean.
do you prefer a fixed fin instead of a rudder ? what do you do when the wind angle is not that great or when you need to paddle with the wind to your side (like when entering the harbour) ?
enjoy and keep us updated on how she goes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:22:50 AM by noa »

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
Just looking at the pics again.. did anyone notice how Jeremy could tuck that 14' board under his arm?

Bolt Upright

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »
Yea...this thing is fast.
Paddled it from harbor mouth to the beach...left Jeremy in the dust. ;)

Our downwind run Fri evening was.. I would say poor to very poor conditions.
Very little wind and hard to get into glides...at least for me.

Jeremy seemed to have no trouble getting glides...and paddled away smartly!!
Then just to rub it in, he would sit a wait for me to catch up, while he had a cigarette and read the paper. Good thing he had a full pack...

Even with the sub par conditions he was still in the 8.3 MPH avg range!!! ::)
I can't do that in the best conditions >:(

He will be the man to beat in this class...no doubt.
Suspect that he will be besting most unlimited paddlers also. ;)
A perfect 10...(10 MPH Avg) is very doable I think...And that is smoking fast!!!

Congratulations to Bill (Footemaui)  and the gang at Mark Nelson's Shop!! ;)

Stay tuned...

Randy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
You shoulda gone earlier guys. We had good wind all the way to the harbor but when shuttled got back to Maliko it was flat. I know, I know--work. It seems the wind is dying fast these afternoons. Maybe it's time for some glassy evening Kanaha
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
What is this term glassy?? It's been blowin the fleas off the dogs here on Maui lately....

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »
Jeremy was kind enough to let me try his new Maliko 14 out today.  Whoa!  This thing is uberfast.  Even with 8 falls, I had my fastest run to date.  On mine, I’m going to add an inch of width and a deck pad (Jeremy uses wax and not much of it at that) to minimize the wipeout factor.  For me, the added weight is worth fewer falls.  Jeremy, of course, has this board dialed so he can go ultra narrow wax only and stay dry. Randy’s is next up and already has the deck on.  Bill and the Nelson guys have figured out a way to do them even a little lighter.  Should be finished for next weekend.  This is getting good!

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
Hi Chan,
i'm starting to wonder something which is actualy none of my business (but curiosity got the best of me).
how many downwind boards do you and Randy have ??? it seams like you're getting new ones every few months ?
well i guess you're certainly contributing to the development.
since you have a few of Mark's boards, how would you compare them to Bill's ? they both seam to make very fast boards for the Maliko run, but also quite different. which style suits you best ?
last but not least, from what i hear, you have the ballance of a cat. how is it you fall on Jeremy's board yet he's fairly comfortable on it ? does he swallow helium before a run to make him float above the board ?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2009, 08:03:11 AM »
Bill and the Nelson guys have figured out a way to do them even a little lighter. 

Bill,

Can you give me a few tips. I just laminated my wife's board. Sanding coat is next, but I've been wondering why I need to do a sanding coat at all on the deck? A little weave texture doesn't hurt, I don't think? Maybe spackle the weave, then paint?

My board seems super light prior to doing the sanding coat. The sanding coats adds so much weight. I wish I could get the epoxy to flow like water, super thin. No luck so far.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »
Hi Noa,

That's a good question!  There is a shortage of in-demand race boards on the islands, as they can only be made so quickly.  We have sold down to just the core few.  Right now Rand only has his Bill Foote 14 (and he rarely gets to ride it).  He has had a C4, a F-16 and a F-17 which are all now with new owners. I sold my C4 a while back, just sold my 14 SIC, so I am down to one as well. It is actually really fortunate that the market is so good like this, as it allows us to try out great gear without too much drain on the old bank account.  The goal is ultimately to have the perfect 14 rudderless and the perfect unlimited rudder board. 

Funny thing, though, we all actually have been without boards a lot.  Yesterday Bill Foote rode Rand's 14, because he sold his downwinder to Pono.  I was on Jeremy's board and Rand was on Kiwi's 17. 

By next month we will have 2 new Foote 14's - we couldn't pass on the 19 lb 14 footers - and two new SIC Unlimited boards, mine a downsized F-16 and Rand's a copy of the board that Mark Raaphorst shaped for Kiwi.  These 4 have been our favorites to date...and that might just do it :)  We went through the same thing with wave boards at first and once we had found our fit, that was it. 

As for the balance question, check out the picture of Jeremy's board.  The wide point is much further forward than on most boards.  It took me a while to figure out the sweet spot and how much rail pressure to apply when turning.  By the end I was falling much less, and I think I could work it out in another run or two.  This is a very similar shape to Jeremy's  12'6, which he has been on for quite a while and has it really well dialed. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:12:18 AM by Chan »

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 09:04:53 AM »
i also really like how simple this board is. no pad, no rudder, nothing. just the essence, pure and clean.
do you prefer a fixed fin instead of a rudder ? what do you do when the wind angle is not that great or when you need to paddle with the wind to your side (like when entering the harbour) ?

Hi noa,

I prefer the fixed rudder because I like to flirt with the surf. When the wind is blowing sideways in the harbor, I just do the best I can not to be blown sideways. This means paddling on one side as hard as possible while keeping the windward rail down. I hope to get back out there today for a run...

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
Hi DW.. Not hot coating the deck sounds like a good idea to me. We have thaught of this but have yet to try it. In the 70's we used to squegee on the hot coat on the deck, brush the rails, and sand and gloss the rails. This gave a weave texture on the deck.. I think you should go for it and let us know the results...

Did my first run yesterday in about 2 months...I rode Rand's  14' wiffle board (the one that is 1.5 lb. foam and drilled out).Fell down about 6-8 times. The board at 27.25'' is a little narrow for me at 230 lbs...Conditions were just ok, not epic...Can't wait to get my own board...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
Noa, Board ownership here in Maui is a kind of slippery concept. Of the six people that went on our run yesterday, three were on their own boards, and it wasn't swapping--Bill Foote was on Randy's Maliko 14, Chan was on Jeremey's Maliko 14 Space Alien Edition, and Randy was on Mark Jackson's SIC F17 custom.

Incidentally, Chan disappeared like the Roadrunner disappears from Wily Coyote--she just suddenly got small. Chan is always fast, but that was ridiculous.

That said, this downwinding stuff is making quivers swell quickly. I have the Penetrator, Gumby, and an F17 on order and a huge, daily deepening Jones for a Foote Maliko 14. I'm certain that the moment I set a foot on Randy's new one, or probably worse, Bill Foote's Big Bruddah version, my bank account will have another hole in it.

The complexion of what makes a fast and fun board changes radically with conditions. the molded SIC F series is the gold standard all around, and they work everywhere, But there are times and places where the Foote boards are just rockets. Even venerable Gumby is wonderful when the swells are mountains and the wind is blowing the tops off the waves.

If I could only have one board it would probably be a custom F14 (wider to suit my weight--if I weighed under 210 I'd take a molded one) with a rudder and a fin box. That would give you a lot of options for racing, a board that would be reasonably fast everywhere, that would do very well in Maliko. Stick the fin in and race it in stock class (or in the organizations that separate 12'6" from 14, in the 14' rudder or no rudder class), be reasonably fast on the south side and capable in any reasonable Maliko conditions.

Fortunately I can have more than one board, so my choice is probably going to be the Penetrator 572 for flat water and South Side downwinders, an F17 custom for mid-sized Maliko and West Coast conditions (I'm having it shipped to Portland for the summer) and a Foote Maliko 14 Big Bruddah for wacky Maliko stuff and stock board racing.

On the positive side, as Chan said, demand for these boards in Hawaii is voracious. Mark Raaphorst is constantly bugeyed these days and is trying very hard not to have long conversations with anyone. Randy's "old" Maliko 14 has a waiting list of willing buyers.

Interesting times. Everyone that "breaks their cherry" at Maliko becomes an addict after the initial terror and the realization that you're not really quite up to the challenge physically dissipates. I hear the summer runs are just as much fun but without the added drama of Spartan's and Kanaha Reefs tossing 20 foot faces at you. I figure by the time I get back here next winter they'll be running a shuttle bus. Way too much fun. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
Chan, Jeremy and Bill,
thank you very much for all your info. it almost makes me feel like i'm there sharing those runs with you.
it generally sounds like Foot is the man to go to for 14'ers and Raaphorst for unlimited sizes. curious how things will develop over the summer as this is constantly changing.
this is my new baby that i'm waiting to be shipped from France. i'm very itchy to get my hands on her...  http://ponantpaddlesports.over-blog.com/article-29488067.html

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »
Bill,
speaking of shuttle buses, i'm surprised no one has done something like that yet. if the Maliko run keeps on growing in popularity, it's probably just a matter of time before someone wants to make money out of this. imagine tourist loads being shuttled to Maliko gulch, just like they bring them up to Haleakala for the downhill bike rides...scary thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal