Author Topic: Jeremy's MALIKO 14  (Read 29690 times)

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy's MALIKO 14
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Stoney.. If you need any assistance let me know...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks Bill....I'll definitely do that. I sent you a PM. Randy's board just felt so right to me. Like it was made for me. I need more stability than most folks and that board was just so comfortable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:33:26 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
Bill,

Going light on the sanding coat turned out to be a bad idea for me. I had a few pin hole leaks today. I'm re-coating.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
DW... What you need to do if you are not already, is to get airocel and mix it to the consistancy of vasoline. Then squeege it on before you hot coat. Get it on thin as it does not sand well and pull from two directions to get those pesky little holes filled. Then hot coat over  this. After you sand Red Cap it at least once of not twice, then sand the Red Cap back and paint.... BF

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
Wow, I just read all the way through this thread again, and I've got a VICIOUS Maliko Jones. What a great thread, my palms are sweating. Headed for Maui tomorrow Morning!!! Ordered a Maliko 14 Chubster edition from Mr. Foote and my F18 is on the slow boat, getting raped by baggage handlers as we speak.

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD! And so prophetic.

Turned out that I was right on about the Gorge--a vast array of world class runs present themselves. Next summer is gonna rock.  Wrong about the Oregon coast--onshore winds, cold, sharky, lonely and no place to land. Other than that it was great.

See you guys soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:48:36 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
DW... What you need to do if you are not already, is to get airocel and mix it to the consistancy of vasoline. Then squeege it on before you hot coat. Get it on thin as it does not sand well and pull from two directions to get those pesky little holes filled. Then hot coat over  this. After you sand Red Cap it at least once of not twice, then sand the Red Cap back and paint.... BF

Now that this old thread has come back to life  ;D

Hey Bill, your tips were a big help. That's how I did my last 2 boards. They turned out super light. Not quite a match for the Nelson factory's skills, but getting closer and having fun trying.

Thanks.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
Sorry to turn this into a shaping post......

Can one of you guys please let me know what Red Cap is? Assuming it is some sort of filler/ primer coat, can't even find anything on Google. I get a little lost at the very last finishing stages and to be honest can't even work out what's the point of hot coating the top of the board - other than for cosmetics. Seems like at the very last stage after trying to keep the weight down pouring on the resin is the last thing you really want to do.

Looking forward to the photos of the new Foote 14 "Comfort" Bill - makes sense to me to have a little more width, I've come to the conclusion that falling off doesn't do good things for your average run times! Sorry I just missed you, I'll be back about April 10 but I'm guessing that's about when you leave.

Maui - totally addictive......don't they say that a guy thinks about sex every 10 seconds, not sure if it's just getting old but I think Maui is right up there in my feeble brain!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
Red cap is also known as red spot putty. 3M recently stopped making it. The auto body guys hated it and now use 2 part spot putty. The new stuff is not ideal for us anymore.

Go to the nelson factory web site and watch all the videos. You'll see them using the red spot putty. It comes in a tube. It is nothing more than a scratch filler used before painting.

On my builds I tried the new 2 part spot putty and didn't like it. Too thick. Adding micro balloons to epoxy, plus blue pigment, is now my final step before paint. You just need to fine sand at that step to remove the scratches you won't be filling with red cap.

You're right, adding hot coat with a brush, as is customary in clear finish board building, adds a ton of weight. That's one of many reasons windsurfers don't do it. The other reason is they need to hide the exotic materials, like carbon, kevlar, or PVC foam. So if you plan to paint the exterior (recommended with carbon) you can save additional weight by skimping on the hot coat by adding filler and using a squeegee to make it super thin. Thin hot coats don't have to be pretty because you paint it last.

And then don't forget to sand the paint down with 400 grit for a speed finish. You actually end up with some of the board showing through the paint.

Funny thing about speed sanding. Some of the production windsurfers come with a distressed paint finish to make them look like they have been given the sanded finish pros apply to their boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal