Author Topic: Jeremy's MALIKO 14  (Read 29680 times)

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Jeremy's MALIKO 14
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
   After riding his 12'6'' x 24'' x 5.5'' for 2 years we have decided to upgrade Jeremy's equipment. I am going to attempt to document the building of this board. Please go easy on me though as it is a learning process for me.
   I do have some knowledgable people in my corner. I have hooked up with Mark Nelson and Mike ''STORM'' Sherman at the Nelson Factory. Between them they have alot of experience with sandwiching, vacuum laminations, and hi-tech materials. www.nelsonfactory.com  Mark has recently added a CNC machine capable if doing up to 16'.
   First we scanned and digitized the 12'6''. We then extendede it to 14' x 24'' x 5.5''. We left the bottom shape, rails, and rocker alone except for dropping the nose rocker .25'', and pulled the nose and tail. We now have a tail 9'' at 12'' up as apposed to a 10.25'' tail on the 12'6''.
   After cutting the blank I sliced a center line and laminated a carbon fibre stringer. This is mainly to hold it in the CNC machine while it is being cut. At 1 lb. the blank is flimsy enough that the cutter head will bend it as it is cutting.Also it will come in handy when vacuum laminating as we will be able to get by without a rocker stick, not to mention the added stiffness in the final product.
  We then cut it with success. I'll update more as it progresses.....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Jeremy's MALIKO 14
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
When you extended a boards length and keep the rocker the same, are you extending the plane of the rocker, or are you using the same total number, actually lowering the profile of it. Make sense? When I copied the windsurf rocker, I extended the plane, giving a total rocker of 1/2" more over the greater distance of my SUP. What's the right way to do this, if trying to copy a board?

I'd love to know what numbers are working so well out there. I'm going to lam my next one this weekend. I hot wired at 2 1/2", but can adjust on the laminating stands if I change my mind between now and then.

Sam Pa'e was kind enough to send me his number, so I have one good number I know works. It's slightly more than I have shaped now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:48 PM »
That's what the world needs, a way to make Jeremy faster.

Pretty slick looking board buddy. I don't doubt it will rock. I'd ask you why you decided to narrow the tail, but I figure you'd say something like "it feels right". I assume it's really for keeping the board under control in bigger swells.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SchUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
It looks like the stringer bends a bit a those points where the clamp is held during lamination.  I'm not sure if it affects anything, but maybe some sort of 1" board held lengthwise between the clamps and the blank would avoid that... ?

Cool shots, thanks!

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »
I cheated and used A CNC machine. Dwight your right. You should adjust the rocker when you extend a boards length.
Yes the stringer line is not straight, as it does not have to be. It was caused by using a hotwire and they have a tendancy to drift a bit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »
I'd ask you why you decided to narrow the tail, but I figure you'd say something like "it feels right".

I can tell you why I'm going the opposite way. My tail was narrow and I fell when running toward the tail. I'm going wider on my next one.

There is something about a being pushed from behind by wind and waves that makes me fall like a drunk.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
I'd ask you why you decided to narrow the tail, but I figure you'd say something like "it feels right".

I can tell you why I'm going the opposite way. My tail was narrow and I fell when running toward the tail. I'm going wider on my next one.

There is something about a being pushed from behind by wind and waves that makes me fall like a drunk.

Me too. Most of the time when I fall off my board on a Maliko run it's off the back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »

Hey DW,
Is the board occasionally squirting forward when it catches a steeper swell, setting your weight unexpectedly back?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:37:38 AM »

Hey DW,
Is the board occasionally squirting forward when it catches a steeper swell, setting your weight unexpectedly back?

No.

I just felt unstable when on the back.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
Aloha Dwight,
If it's OK........can I throw in my 2cent.

If you pull your tail in this will cause for faster release off the tail, but the bad thing is you'll "lose stability" due to "less volume" on the back half of the board.

However if you have a bit "more volume" at the tail..........then you have bit "more stability". Now if your as good as Jeremy Riggs (which has incredible balance, I must say) then a 24" board with a pulled in tail will be freakin fast!

I'll usually follow this rule, If I have a "fat a$$", then I'll will need a board with a "fat tail"...... ;D ;D

In most cases 2cent is really not worth anything..........but I hope this is worth something... :)

Aloha.....Sam

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
However if you have a bit "more volume" at the tail..........then you have bit "more stability". Now if your as good as Jeremy Riggs (which has incredible balance, I must say) then a 24" board with a pulled in tail will be freakin fast!

I'll usually follow this rule, If I have a "fat a$$", then I'll will need a board with a "fat tail"...... ;D ;D

HHHmmmmm.....so really bad balance AND a fat a$$= U.S.S. Kitty Hawk for Bob for downwinders... ;D

Which makes my experience on Randy's board all that much more surprising. I know he had Bill make it a little wider in the tail for stability but thats a relative thing. It's still a narrow board or at least I thought it was for someone like me. I was shocked how comfortable I was on it. Must be just some Foote magic in there. I would love to be able to pull the trigger on its twin. Need to figure out a way.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
So the deck was glassed yesterday by Mike"STORM" Sherman. First we put a 48'' long thin bamboo laminate down in the foot area where the board will take the most pounding. Then covered the whole deck with 4 oz. S. Glass.  Next we did 5.6 carbon rail bands and a 5.6 carbon strip down the center. All laminating was done on a table. Next a sheet of plastic went down to keep everything smooth, a thin sheet of rayon cloth for a bleeder to get suction distributed evenly. The whole mix was then put into a bag and sucked down to  7 ATM. Bottom lam today....

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
Bill, this is awesome!  Cannot wait to see the finished product.  Its cool that you are showing the process the entire way through.  Very impressive CNC machine. ;D ;D

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »
Pulled it out of the bag and with bottom lam came in at a little over 13 lbs. Heres  a few more shots.. This is Storm grinding the lap and prepping for bottom lam. Check out the stilt shoes... Classic Storm creation....

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »
Thanks for posting these pics Bill. Wish I could be up there with you during the whole process. Can't wait to take it out for a run. It looks sweet and fast. Love the shot of the stilt shoes!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal