Author Topic: Are You Compressing Enough?  (Read 32905 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: Are You Compressing Enough?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
STC got it
And as far as "just for style..."   To consciously give up compression....To let it all hang out.....to sacrifice the boost that you would get with compression is the sole domain of the "Soul Arch"...I was playing with that on the snowboard too, but haven't played with the paddle enough to figure where it would go....I guess a behind the back two-handed grab?
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
Yes....What a great post.  Compressing is something I need to focus on; for the most part I've just been steering by shifting my feet.  That would explain why I haven't been carving for sh**.

I presume that if compression and unweighting is done properly, this is the ticket to spraying massive buckets of water on a turn?  My neighbor Tommy Lloy is known for his turns; He and I were walking back to the car after a session at Salt Creek one day and a friend of his said he had been watching from the cliff.  He commented, "At first I didn't know who it was out there, then I was saw the spray coming off the turns and I know there's only one guy around here who turns like that--Tommy Lloy." 

Here's a link of Tommy surfing small waves in Oceanside, CA that shows some basic (for him) turns that appear to be the effects of proper compression:

So here I am with this guy who can be recognized from a distance just by his turning, while I had only a vague clue how the compression played into it.  Tommy's turns throw so much water that it looks like a spraying fire hose while MY turns spew about the same amount of spray as the dropped last remnants of a cocktail.

Now I'm paying much more attention to his compression/uncoiling, trying to figure this thing out.  I think someone posted a comment a while back that talked about how we THINK we are compressing (i.e. bending knees, etc.) when in reality it is nowhere near as much as it should be (i.e. we're often closer to standing FULLY UPRIGHT!).  A video shot of them showed how lame their compression was, and they then realized they had to bend MUCH more to get their body caught up with their image of what they THOUGHT they were doing.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:14:31 AM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
Shit....I always think I'm doing better than the reality. 1st time I saw video of what I had thought was a great wave all I could think was ....Well that sucks.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
Tommy Lloy is doing his compressions in those waves in little "flicks" that are easy to miss when watching casuallly.

In reality, he was constantly doing mini compressions and flicking out a speed turn to make a section.... so smooth that it looked like he was just gliding along.

Here are some screen grabs to isolate some of his many compressions and extensions, the speed he generates is more obvious when seen in  freeze frame

The compression does not have to be a big move.... just a slight ankle flick can work wonders.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »
Tommy Lloy is doing his compressions in those waves in little "flicks" that are easy to miss when watching casuallly.

In reality, he was constantly doing mini compressions and flicking out a speed turn to make a section.... so smooth that it looked like he was just gliding along.

Here are some screen grabs to isolate some of his many compressions and extensions, the speed he generates is more obvious when seen in  freeze frame

The compression does not have to be a big move.... just a slight ankle flick can work wonders.

There is definitely a very refined subtlety to Tommy's moves.   I guess this is what we all know as the case of a pro making it look easy, and without analysis like STC posted, it's easy to miss the learning points.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal