Author Topic: Flatwater SUP advice please  (Read 5798 times)

andydpell

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Flatwater SUP advice please
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »
I’m new to SUP world and need some advice. I have a surfing background but now live in Austin Tx where we have a great network of lakes and rivers.  I need some recommendations on a board. I’m looking for something between a race and a touring board. I’m 6’2” 215lbs.  Will a 14ft board suffice? The board I get will never see the ocean so it doesn’t need much of a rocker. I’m willing to spend some $$ on the right board but never the less I am on a budget (economy and all). Any suggestions? Good websites to buy from? Thanks! :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flatwater SUP advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »
I'd look at a F14 from SIC, a Starboard Point, maybe the new Naish Glide 14 or 15--whatever it is, and the Foote Maliko 14.

Since you're talking mostly flatwater I'd get a race board--fun to paddle and fast. If you want to camp and fish from it you might consider something more in the cruiser range.

If you're looking for something cheap, try to find a leftover or used Starboard 12'2". Great in flatwater and fast for their size.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:07 AM »
I'd add the 14' production Surftech Bark to your list. It should be due in shops soon.

www.surfingsports.com would know when, and would probably have some first.

SteveF

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:56:39 AM »
I like the look of this Starboard K15 for the conditions you describe - http://www.star-board-sup.com/products/bd_k15.php. I am not sure when it will be available. Surfingsports have one but it may be a prototype, they have a big range of boards, so why not contact them and see what they recommend.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
I agree with everyone above... the Surftech Bark, the Starboard Point or K15 too.  What about the C4 Holoholo?  Flat rocker & good tie-down spots too. 
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Gossimer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
You should check out YOLO Boards.

We have them in stock and can set up a complete package for you.

www.wakawai.com

andydpell

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!! This has helped a lot. Let me know if you ever come to Austin!

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
I am not sold on the Surftech Bark (although Bark is obviously a great shaper).  To me, it felt significantly slower than my 12'2" Starboard in flat water.  (But, I have only paddled it once and had no GPS with me to confirm my impressions).  It may be slow because it's pretty wide and the sharp nose kick reduces the effective waterline length.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:36:37 PM »
the 12'2" Starboard is a surprisingly fast board--as is it's poppa, the Ku Nalu. I'd like to see what a 14' version of that board would be like, especially if it had a little v in the bottom. Unfortunately there's about five really interesting boards I'd like to try, but I don't want eight downwinder/race boards in my garage, at least not permanently. What I'd REALLY like is to see Mark Raaphorst and Bill Foote mash their knowledge together and build a board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FB1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:18:58 AM »
What I'd REALLY like is to see Mark Raaphorst and Bill Foote mash their knowledge together and build a board

Not sure that would work! Each variable of the board has an efffect on another in how the board performs, so they would have to agree or compromise on every variable. In order to come up with a shape, i think it would have to be more of a compromise than philosophical agreement.
Thats the great thing about custom boards you can take your own specs, priorities and performance needs to as many different shapers as you like and find subtle or drastic differences in every board. Maybe take your specs and the same performance "wish list" to both and see what they come up with. That'd be cool. Sorry not in the position to sponsor you!! ;D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »
What I'd REALLY like is to see Mark Raaphorst and Bill Foote mash their knowledge together and build a board

Not sure that would work! Each variable of the board has an efffect on another in how the board performs, so they would have to agree or compromise on every variable. In order to come up with a shape, i think it would have to be more of a compromise than philosophical agreement.
Thats the great thing about custom boards you can take your own specs, priorities and performance needs to as many different shapers as you like and find subtle or drastic differences in every board. Maybe take your specs and the same performance "wish list" to both and see what they come up with. That'd be cool. Sorry not in the position to sponsor you!! ;D

I've done exactly that, in my own twisted mind  ;D

I copied the F-14 template, added a windsurf inspired rocker and rail shape (what I imagine Bill Foote has done), then tweaked the tail to match Barks 14. I copied the Sub Vector deck concave. My garage glass job is ugly, but it sure is fast. I'm still working on the cosmetics, which turned out to be the hardest part.

It was so much fun, I'm building 2 more, that I hope will turn out lighter with better glassing skill. The first one is 29 lbs. If I can hit 27 lbs, I'll be stoked on the next two. I'm not changing anything with my shape. It feels magic to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:42:52 AM by DW »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
Very cool.

FB1, I agree--I was going going to add "could be great, could be awful" but realized I'd need to explain why and I was feeling lazy

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
DW... any photos of you master piece?
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »
DW... any photos of you master piece?

Not yet. After I finish sand and paint it I'll post photos.

Ronan "Doc Jacobs"

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »
Hi DW

Seems you have cleaned the way for a lot of us.
Here in Europe we do not have access to the whole range of racing boards, still waiting for the stock boards to come(we only have the Starboard Point). A friend of mine is also shaper and is interested in building me one. Could you share your templates?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal