Author Topic: Maui, Oahu, Tel Aviv?  (Read 3649 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Maui, Oahu, Tel Aviv?
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »
Sure, everyone knows that Laird, Dave and the guys, initiated the rebirth of standup on Maui a few years back, but what of the older history.

Add to the root origins Tel Aviv.  Yoav sent over this picture and this note:

When you come to think of it, people have always paddled standing whenever they could.
This is a photo I shot in Tel Aviv showing the traditional lifeguards' paddleboard called 'Hassakeh. It's been in use since the first public beaches opened in Tel Aviv sometime around the first decades of the 20th century but I guess its origins are much older.
The reason for paddling it standing is to enable spotting the person in distress in the waves.
The 'Hassakeh is very wide - up to 5 ft so that the lifeguard can haul the rescued person on its deck and still be stable.
It has always been paddled with a very long double-blade paddle and it's not used for surfing.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 06:08:46 PM by Rand »

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maui, Oahu, Tel Aviv?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:23:51 AM »
keep studyin these sup origins.  and a surf mate from Ecuador,  a fishermen village called Engabao.    sent me these interesting video.  what do you guys think about it.

vertseven

• Malibu Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vertseven
    • View Profile
    • I Can't Fish
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »
Nice find.

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
that reminds me of the older guy that's always out at La Jolla Shores.  I've usually seen him out ever since I moved to San Diego... white hat, orange life vest, huge boat and double sided paddle (like the picture above).

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal