Author Topic: Hawaii trip 2009  (Read 1759 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hawaii trip 2009
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »
Well, I got back from my annual trip to Hawaii (Ohau) about a week ago. I've now recovered from jet lag..am back fully engaged in the "real world"...and find solace by periodically re-living memories of a truly memorable trip!!!  This was my fourth straight year out there....we stay on the North shore and each year schedule the trip sometime between late January and early March. This year, like last year we caught great surf!!!...and I was able to SUP everyday.  Here are a few of my takes on that wonderful Island!

On Sup'ing in Hawaii......and the AMAZING GROWTH of the Sport.  Four years ago I saw my first Sup"er out in the water (alone)...who I later learned was Blane Chambers, testing new equipment he was developing.  The guy was catching some pretty good waves and my initial thought was "Hey that looks pretty cool"...but I really didn't think that Standup Paddle Surfing would catch on... WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Now, several years later...Standup Paddlers are all over the Island....and just tearing it up on the North Shore!!!  Sup's are here to stay!!!....i.e. (one day I drove down to check the waves at Puena Point...and found 13 of the 14 people out in the water on Standup Paddle Boards!!!  Very Cool!!!!! )

On the standup paddle surfing VIBE!!!...On several of days when the surf was really big (15-20+ foot FACES)  I headed down to ride the more manageable waves at Puena Point..  There generally were a good number of other Sup'ers in the water (and as an added bonus there are consistently a lot of beautiful women  surfing there!!)
The vibe was amazing....everyone was incredibly friendly...talking to one another in the surf...sharing waves...and everyone just seemed to be having so much fun!!!
I mentioned this to one of the other Sup'ers as we were paddling back out, remarking how "it seems that all of the standup paddlers seem to have constant smile on their face"...and he came back with a great reply, agreeing and saying.."yeah, and those folks who are out here with a frown on their face.. JUST HAVEN'T TRIED STANDUP PADDLE SURFING YET!!"   My thought was...pretty darn perceptive guy!!

On Paddle Surf Hawaii....Blane and Austin are simply the BEST!!  For the second year we arranged for them to have a board waiting for me when I arrived....this year a 9'6" Wide All Around that worked awesome!!  They were helpful in everyway!!!...and their amazing eqipment and true ALOHA SPIRIT is clearly recognized as it seemed that at least 8 out of every 10 boards I saw on the North Shore was a PSH!!! Thank you Blane and Austin...You guys are amazing!!

On lasting mental images of a great trip!!!  Fortunately one of my friends snapped a few pictures that help recreate the memories!!  The first is of me dropping in at our "secret spot"...the second is of me carving on my NEW BOARD!!...   and the third is calling it a day after some "quality" waves....at least the pictures make it a little easier to deal with the one foot, windswell, 58 degree water I came back to here in Florida.....aahhhh the memories!!!! Hopefully they will hold me over until next year!!!

Tim

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Hawaii trip 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Sweet! Looks and sounds like a great trip...I leave for Maui Thursday morning... 8)

58 deg water would be warm enough for boardshorts for me...75 is going to be like a spa. ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal