Author Topic: 2013 14 Naish Glide vs Boardworks Eradicator.  (Read 6806 times)

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2013 14 Naish Glide vs Boardworks Eradicator.
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
I am new to the SUP world so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I'm buying my first SUP and am considering the 2013 Naish 14 Glide or a used 14 Eradicator.

I live by Virginia Beach so I will be in the Ocean pretty much all the time. I also will be using whatever board I buy three to four times a week. Since I'm new to the sport I realize there will be a learning curve. At this point I'm wondering which of these two choices would be best for a novice.

I attached the pic of the Naish because I'm guessing it's a 2013 looking at the rocker. The current owner doesn't know what year the board is.

Thanks for your responses.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:07:12 AM by Dice »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: 2013 14 Naish Glide vs Boardworks Eradicator.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »
It looks like a 2011 model in white "carbon". How extreme is the rocker. The 2011 was a lot more than the 2013 (I think that all 2013 where in yellow).
As an all-around including mostly flat water the Eradicator is likely better.
Downwind the Naish would be better.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »
That is a 2011 14x 27 1/4" wide Glide.

How wide is the Eradicator? and how heavy are you?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
That Naish is a painfully slow board in flatwater, and only good for downwind when the swells are short period--then it's great. But you don't have those conditions in Virginia Beach. I'm not familiar with the Eradicator. A better question to ask you might be what are you going to do with the board.

Are you not going to surf? That's a fine surf location for the east coast--Bill Foote grew up surfing there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
I'm looking for a board to primarily downwind with.

The Eradicator is 27" wide. I'm 5'7" and weigh 175 (80Kg).

I haven't actually seen the Naish in person. So as far as the rocker goes the picture is all I have. When I asked the owner about the year they didn't know, which is weird anyway. They did say that it is the Naish with a more severe rocker. I've been trying to figure out the year and thought that the 2013 and previous were the ones with more rocker?

So by your comments the Eradicator would be better?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
No, for pure downwind in short period, steep swell the old Naish is excellent. For any other use it's slow but stable. It should be very cheap. Price for boards like that are dependent on location, but here in the Gorge you probably wouldn't get more than $500-600 for it, if that. It's a seven-year-old board. Looks to be in good shape, but it's old.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:54:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
If you specifically want to downwind then the Naish would be better. PonoBill is right - in short period winds over about 18 knots it's a fast board. Not the easiest to ride, but boy is it effective. The Eradicator looks like a displacement hull board designed for flat water, so probably wouldn't glide well downwind. But it would make a better board for touring, race or fitness in flat water or mild chop. You have got two boards here which are designed for completely different things. What you are doing here is a bit like me asking you whether I should buy a 2-seater sports car or a 4-wheel drive SUV. Without knowing what I'd be using the car for, you wouldn't be able to give me an informed opinion. Apples and oranges. So make a decision about what you want most out of the board and what activity you will be buying it for mainly, and the answer will follow from that. A flat water board is frustrating downwind, and a downwind board is frustrating in flat water.

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »
Since I live by Virginia Beach my plan is to focus primarily on downwind so I guess getting the Naish for a good price is the way to go. The owner says it is in excellent condition and from the pictures it looks that way. They are asking 850 for it so we'll see if they'll come down enough to make it worth buying.

Sitting here thinking about it.. would you all shy away from this board because the design is so old? Or since I'm just starting out, does it make sense for me, especially at a good price.

Thank you very much for all your comments and guidance.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:01:50 AM by Dice »

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »
that particular glide (white carbon v1 model) is a wonderful board. Correct on all comments and that its sweet spot is 18 knots plus. It was my first 14 footer and I still regret getting rid of it as it warms up the stronger the wind gets and has a nice is very surfy feel.

Its not as light as the newer carbon boards but very well constructed (I don't think the manufacturers build them like that now - this board has good skin toughness and does not seem to worry about UV).

True in flat conditions it is slower but really not a big deal and for sea conditions it is fin - cannot go wrong with it.
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
For novice DW would prefer the Naish over the Eradicator.  But if available and in your budget a SIC Bullet 14V1 or JL M14 are fully dedicated DW open ocean type boards.  Nothing wrong with the Naish or Eradicator as AW boards with more of a cutting nose vs a DW surf shaped nose.  The surf nose is easier to handle in bumps and has low windage cutting across swells is all.  If that Naish is all that is available -> then just get that and start your DW adventures.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
I'd offer $550 and see what happens.  Its a good board for a beginner DW, I bought a non-carbon one after watching a friend of mine catch bumps without paddling. When the tail lifts the entire board is smoothly in contact with the water, which is why it catches bumps so well--gets the most energy transfer without the drag of a nose or tail shoved under the water. When the tail isn't lifted there's only about 12' in contact with the water, and there's no taper to shove the water aside, which is why they suck in flatwater.

Good board for what you want. I gave mine to my daughter and she still loves it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it being an older design. It still works well, and is built better than most are today. It's not really carbon, but some kind of aramid fibre I think, but whatever it is it works well. I've got the 17ft version of this board from the same year and it is still ding- and chip-free, and they are light enough. In some ways we haven't progressed much in the intervening years with construction. Maybe even gone backwards...

I took a relative novice for her first downwind on one of these about a year ago. She coped fine on it. A friend of mine uses it for fishing. In short period swell with s decent blow it is still faster than some of the current boards that are sold as being suitable for downwind.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it being an older design. It still works well, and is built better than most are today. It's not really carbon, but some kind of aramid fibre I think, but whatever it is it works well. I've got the 17ft version of this board from the same year and it is still ding- and chip-free, and they are light enough. In some ways we haven't progressed much in the intervening years with construction. Maybe even gone backwards...

I took a relative novice for her first downwind on one of these about a year ago. She coped fine on it. A friend of mine uses it for fishing. In short period swell with s decent blow it is still faster than some of the current boards that are sold as being suitable for downwind.

Absolutely in agreement with the quality of the construction (had a same year Javelin) and the perdurance of a good design.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
As has already been said, I don't think the age of the board would have any impact on durability--my Glide has held up really well (2013 with less rocker).

I'm with PB on the offer.  No way I'd go anywhere near $850.  $700 tops.  The main rationale you have is the dated shape.  While this thread has extolled the positives of these old elf shoes (and there are certainly some) there's more reasons why they aren't made anymore--otherwise we'd all still be riding things that look similar. 
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
The elf-shoe glides aren't great for flatwater (I have one, and one of the flatter next generation) and wouldn't be a good choice for exclusively flatwater use, but I think they're over-achievers--faster than you'd imagine given how much of the length stays out of the water.  I think it may be because they're not excessively wide, and maybe (?) are fairly stiff.  You can also get them through doorways easily from the side, if you start out with the nose in the correct orientation, because they'll curve right into the room.  And if you like to be able to see your board easily while driving, to know it's still up there, they're easy to see through your windshield if you put them nose forward, fin up.  If you put them nose-forward, fin down, the wind resistance may flip your vehicle backwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal