Author Topic: Anyone paddle at night?  (Read 9081 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone paddle at night?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »
I've surfed a number of times at night on a SUP.  It's pretty creepy and a little difficult to see the waves, even with the super bright lights I use.  However, it is never crowded and I've caught a few fun waves.

The strangest thing is that thousands of tiny fish swarmed me every time, attracted by the bright lights.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
I would avoid using a flashing light on the water, might be interpreted as a distress signal. A plain white light is probably best,

That's correct.

Flashing light = distress.

Another good source of light is to use glow sticks. I've seen groups of kayaks using them. They are very inexpensive and provide enough light to be seen by without limiting your night vision too much. Then just keep a small LED flashlight on a lanyard as backup when you need it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:41:10 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 03:31:03 AM »
As long as you are in sight of land and on the shore there are points of light you get a good read on glass flat water. So a lake which has points of light all around is perfect.

As has been mentioned the less you use light the better you adjust to the dark.

I've used a small waterproof 360º red LED clipped to my leash on the back of my board. I prefer the headlamp worn backwards so if a boat comes upon me I have it readily at hand to turn around, switch it to white and I can paddle while with my head I can direct the light for signaling.

If a boat does come upon you be mentally prepared to undo your leash. That is one situation where you do NOT want one on. Be like a fox and keep the danger in your sight.

Choppy water is harder to read. I've finished honking downwinders where night had completely fallen and we still had over 10 miles to go and the moon hadn't risen yet. It's trickier but doable.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
Red is the best color because it has the least affect on your night vision. Green is also good. That's why boats are required to use those colors. You need to see where you are going and not be blinded.

All you need to be seen on a paddleboard is a small red or red/green combination LED mounted to your board, preferably near the tail so that the light is behind you.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Navigation-Marine-Zodiac-Zodiak/dp/B00C0SQPOA

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
like to try night sup oneday.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
I did it the last time I did the Round the Rock race in Seattle.

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »
For flatwater paddling at night I just stick this on the back of the board.  Gives plenty of ambient light and doesn't spoil your night vision.

https://kayakproshop.com/products/paddlers-supply-led-deck-lite

Rich
Rich

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
My wife and I had fun paddling one night at the local lake until all the bugs came out and were attracted to our headlamps.  Then it was pretty miserable, just paddling through a cloud of insects.  Not sure how far bugs fly from shore. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
Last year my brother and I started paddling Lake Tahoe at night. You're right about the bugs, but we didn't use any lights. The moon was so full it was awesome. I noticed if we were at least a 100 ft or so from shore, no bugs. I'm sure it varies.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sspivey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 01:35:32 PM »

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
Fairly common thing around these parts... the guy I bought my SUP from was part of a group called NiteSup that rents boards and/or puts together tours.... night paddles in the rivers, canals, and intra-coastal waterway.
They had a guy who modified the board by adding a strip of led lights just under the rail, in the water, from bow to stern on each side, then added an 8" round hatch to put a small 12v battery... pretty slick setup it was epoxy/glassed in an is a permanent install but slick with the hull so no additional drag.
The only problem is they used real cheap led strip lights and several of the individual leds are now out and no way to replace/fix without digging into the board.

Last year a girl I know whet up to Titusville and did a night-time bio-luminescent paddle... they also offer these in the keys... that must be a real trip, I remember back in the day waterskiing late nights during the bi-lum.. season that metal fin on a ski and the lower unit of an outboards create quite a show.

Every year there are a group, maybe the same guys, who paddle and participate in the x-mas holiday boat parade.

Sample shot.... not sure form where just grabbed it from the net.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:30:27 PM by krash »
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Silkie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
For flatwater paddling at night I just stick this on the back of the board.  Gives plenty of ambient light and doesn't spoil your night vision.

https://kayakproshop.com/products/paddlers-supply-led-deck-lite

Rich

+1 on this light, although mine usually falls over...its still bright enough to keep me seen.  I put it on my tail, and I put one of those blow up solar lights on my leash, glow sticks on the back of my PFD (which I wear).  I keep close to the shore, paddle known areas and I stay the heck away from the marinas. 

wondering when Lurker L will notice this. 

14ft Starboard touring
12-6 x 24.5 404 Carbon fiber
10-6 & 11-2 SupLove all purpose

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
Most of the people in my paddle group use these:  http://www.kayalu.com/k/kayalite-portable-LED-kayak-light-boat-light-deck-anchor-stern-light.php

We're down in Fort Lauderdale FL, the "venice of the americas".  We have miles and miles of intracoastal waterways and canals that run thru the wealthy neighborhoods.  We paddle at night a lot because we're usually paddling after work.  Those kayalites work great for us.  About half of our routes are thru the quieter canals which have a decent amount of light do to all the big fancy houses and their lighted docks.  Any boats back in there are going at no wake speed because they have respect for all of the boats and yachts that are docked at people's houses.  The worst you have to worry about is a tarpon rolling over your board or bumping into/ scaring a manatee... that'll scare the hell out of you.  But we also hit a few runs where we go thru the New River of Fort Lauderdale to where it meets the intracoastal and then have to run the intracoastal for a bit.  Most of it's pretty wide, but there's a few spots that are narrower with seawalls, so any jerks flying thru on their boats, or even the mega yachts that go thru there can slop it up really good.  We stay along the edge and "go against the traffic" so that we can see boats coming at us and we can go over their wakes instead of having their wakes sneak up on us the dark.  On a nice day, those runs are sloppy as hell and real workout with all the pleasure boaters, but at night its quieter.  It improved my balance and trust in board that is for sure.  Every so often you'll hit something, or you fin will catch something.... sometimes you end up going for a swim.  However, the area... whether you're in the back waters with the pretty houses, or on the main waterways with the hotels and Mansions... it's beautiful at night.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »
Weeble,do you ever have problems with alligators at night??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal