Author Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 4943 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Dinner tonight
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
I'm cooking.

Stuffed mushrooms with Siracha and white truffle oil
Caprese with hothouse tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella.
Smashed fingerling potatoes with crab and lemon vinagrette and slow baked Kumatoes
Crispy skin Alaskan Sockeye Salmon
A little white wine

Diane is making Apple Cobbler

I might even still be hungry when I finish cooking. Usually, I look at the food after I'm done with all the work and say "not hungry". But this is an easy one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »
Absolutely decadent!

I didn't do too bad with veal saltimbocca at one of our local Italian eateries.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »
Just had Oreos and Hawaiian Punch here.  One of the best batches of Hawaiian Punch I've ever had, too.  It wasn't dinner, though, because we're doing Paleo.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
No vanilla ice cream for the cobbler? Oh man. Please don't say you put ketchup on a dog.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Went out to dinner earlier this evening. Dined at Saltgrass Steak House. To start out, had fried mushrooms for an appetizer and Shiner Bock beer bread, then ordered (don't laugh since this place is a steak house) chicken fried chicken with steamed veggies. Washed it all down with iced tea (and refills of).

Their chicken fried chicken with yellow gravy is so tender, one can cut it with a fork.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
Pono that sounds fantastic!! I'll take seconds.

What's your method on the skin - high broil? Any liquids? I like to steam in the tin foil on the grille  with butter then reapply pepper and broil real close for 20 seconds per side. .

Been veggie/egg/fish for 8 years now. Mostly due to the factory farming crap. No hate on meat eaters I just can't do it. Mad respect to those who hunt their food and use it all up, better men than me.   

Anyway I love to cook. Amazing how much flavor and variety of foods are available to us. I even enjoy the shopping for fresh goods. Something I can control I guess. I find it all very adventuresome and creative.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:04:49 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
No vanilla ice cream for the cobbler? Oh man. Please don't say you put ketchup on a dog.

Of course there was ice cream. What are we--farmers? Ketchup on a hot dog? I'd rather take a beating.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:40:56 AM »
Yummmm.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »

What's your method on the skin - high broil? Any liquids? I like to steam in the tin foil on the grille  with butter then reapply pepper and broil real close for 20 seconds per side. .

It's a Gordon Ramsay recipe and technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM

The only problem with cooking dinner for friends is I get sleepy after dessert. No matter how good the conversation is, or how much fun I'm having, I start conking out. It's a geezer thing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:15:31 AM by PonoBill »

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »

It's a Gordon Ramsay recipe and technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM

The only problem with cooking dinner for friends is I get sleepy after dessert. No matter how good the conversation is, or how much fun I'm having, I start conking out. It's a geezer thing.

Ahh yes, pan sear. And certainly can't forget to get the bum. Good stuff.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
Awesome stuff.

Last night, I seared some albacore tuna I caught off of Westport in early September, I had 30 loins at that time but they are gone now. It has reached the end of it's freezer life anyway. Roasted some brussel sprouts and steamed up some quinoa. I have to tell the truth, I don't get why people like quinoa. It is basically the same as eating masonry sand. My wife tells me it is great, but white rice would have been so much more enjoyable.
Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
I detest quinoa. Any recipe that makes it edible would work equally well with sawdust.

The one thing Ramsay fails to mention is that the fish needs to be scaled. The skin was pretty much the best part--not that the rest of the salmon wasn't tasty, but could have eaten the skin like Scarlett Johansson. Perhaps I should write "like Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn".

I use the same technique on all the fish I cook to get the done-ness even: When the fish is 3/4 done I pair up the pieces with the thin belly side together and push them together so the thin part rises off the pan like a tent. Works great.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:33:31 AM by PonoBill »

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
Red quinoa with some oil and sea salt and choice of seeds. Add some edemame and/or chopped up steamed beets. Damn good. Summer time with cucumber, corn and black beans. Ya, we live heavy on the quinoa. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:31:49 PM by freetobeme »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
I have two pork shoulders in the oven at 165F. Eight hours of cooking and they will be spectacular. Coated them with a sticky marinade of smoked paprika, powdered chipotle and chile, olive oil and honey.

I'll need to bake some brioche rolls for pulled pork sandwiches.

The grandkids will dig these. Normally I'd consider giving kids this kind of food to be pearls before swine, but these guys are more than a little unusual. Owen wants to be a chef. He's nine, but he's keeping track of his 10,000 hours of practice to gain expertise. Ian just likes good food.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
After a week of over the top gourmet meals we did cheeseburgers on the grill last night.....absolutely awesome, just some salt and pepper and a slice of avocado on a toasted bun.......burger bliss.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal