Author Topic: What would you ask Michael Booth?  (Read 16043 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What would you ask Michael Booth?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
"On average, males over-reported their height by 1 cm, and females, by 0.5 cm.  Females under-reported their weight by an average of 2.5 kg; males, by 1.8 kg.  Reporting bias in weight was strongly associated with measured BMI category. Under-reporting of weight was high among people who were overweight, and particularly high among those who were obese, compared with people of normal weight. When based on measured rather than on self-reported values, the prevalence of obesity was 9 percentage points higher among males and 6 points higher among females."

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2008002/article/5002558-eng.htm
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »
How about: How long (days?) do you rest before a certain length race length? 10k, 20k, ect.
What's your nutrition plan look like when you are doing a lot of traveling during race season and not at home for long stretches of time?
Do you train by yourself or with others?
You do multiple disciplines so what percentages of your training volume goes towards each both during a particular sports season and off?
What's the longest you've gone without any training (due to travel) and immediately raced? How did it go?
Do you use supplements and if so what? And why or why not?
Try to pick some that you either want to know for your own curiosity or would be too in depth for the average public interview.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 12:47:57 AM »
It's functional as a measure of what a population is doing since it can be self-reported. All the more precise measures require either equipment people are unlikely to have access to or techniques that are too complex or error-prone.
It's functional as a reported change in total mass, not a change in actual health. If a percentage of people conducted more load bearing exercise, that would contribute negatively to an obesity crisis using bmi !

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
No doubt of that UK. But they don't. I know for myself when I get into shape, lose some of the gut, go down a few pants sizes and start almost seeing my abs, my BMI either stays the same or goes up--so its individually useless. But as porky as I generally am, my doctors always comment that I'm the healthiest, fittest patient they have over 60.  I don't take that as any kind of compliment, I consider it a sad reality and a low bar.

In most of the general population studies I've scanned, the researchers are quick to defend BMI as a statistical tool. Studies of the same populations using more accurate and useful measures like fat percentage generally yield similar results, well within a standard deviation according to the usual defense. And as with other grossly outdated population measures--like the MMPI for personality testing, or Standford-Benet for IQ, the value of the measure is, in part, simply that it has been used for so long and therefore provides relatability without the potential inaccuracy or bias of conversion.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
Just one for the pedants, in passing: I think you maybe are trying to refer to the Stanford-Binet intelligence scale? Named after Alfred Binet, the pioneer French psychologist who invented the tests, and Stanford University, where they were adapted and developed for wider use.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:27:34 AM by Area 10 »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
Look the idiots misspelled moran! ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »
The coach of my sup training group has arranged for Michael Booth to give us a Skype sup clinic. To get the most out of it I want to make sure I have some good questions to ask the pro.

What would you ask him?
I'd just send him the link to this whole discussion and let him pick.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
I'm sure if you did, he'd sign up for sure...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »
No doubt of that UK. But they don't. I know for myself when I get into shape, lose some of the gut, go down a few pants sizes and start almost seeing my abs, my BMI either stays the same or goes up--so its individually useless. But as porky as I generally am, my doctors always comment that I'm the healthiest, fittest patient they have over 60.  I don't take that as any kind of compliment, I consider it a sad reality and a low bar.

In most of the general population studies I've scanned, the researchers are quick to defend BMI as a statistical tool. Studies of the same populations using more accurate and useful measures like fat percentage generally yield similar results, well within a standard deviation according to the usual defense. And as with other grossly outdated population measures--like the MMPI for personality testing, or Standford-Benet for IQ, the value of the measure is, in part, simply that it has been used for so long and therefore provides relatability without the potential inaccuracy or bias of conversion.

For those interested, here is a useful academic primer on the subject of the BMI and its limitations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2065990/

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Well, we had the Michael Booth Skype clinic yesterday and it was really good. Surprising that such a young guy was so well-spoken, knowledgeable and helpful with all our questions about training, equipment, race strategies, etc. Highly recommended.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal