General > Training, Diet, and Fitness

Do you use an elliptical?

(1/2) > >>

Wetstuff:
I got one as a 'winter bridge' so I don't lose what little edge I have from Nov-May.  I have a bike but get home in the dark in winter and the weekends have been windy and cold all winter.   I keep this at my business so I can hop on it - whenever.  Jesus, is it boorrring or what?!  There's no-possible-way I could/would ever spend 20min on it.

In the couple of months I have had it, even with sporadic daily use, I like it; it works. I have doubled the initial resistance settings and do simple interval stuff.  3min.. 5min... enough to make it burn. The huffing and wheezing, reminds me of scratching my way outside when I was proning. (it's only complicated when a customer calls)

The reason I am posting this is I keep looking for specific ideas on how to use it beyond the "45min fat burn" programs.   And a light went off today: a YouTube fellow said something to the effect; "Go hands-free to get more core and improve your balance."   BINGO!   Whoa.. is that hard or what?  You would have thought, someone who stands on a wobbly board would have done this already, by instinct?! 

Hands-free is much more interesting and harder.  I'm going over now for a few minutes.

You got any tricks that work for you?

Jim

TallDude:
I bought a used Enduro Cycle 420 about two months ago, to offset my reduced paddle time do to a lot of rain. It sits right next to my desk. You're right about fixed exercise machines being boring as hell..  I have a TV, fan, and a clock to keep me on it at least 30 mins every day. It's been great for skiing and surfing. My legs are so much stronger because of it. That translates into a more stable paddling base. You just barely turn the tension knob and you're on a hill. The bike weighs a ton and is rock solid. Super adjustable too. I've got my son riding it to strengthen his legs for basketball.

Bean:
I'm using a treadmill, and yes boring as hell but making progress.  It has a built in iFit wifi which keeps track of my runs and I can download runs from around the globe including video.  Just have not gotten that desperate yet.  Wireless Treblab, headphones were a great call for listening to Pandora (Metalica, Red Hots,etc.)

PDLSFR:
I cancelled my gym membership in December and purchased the new Bowflex Max Trainer M7. It is like an elliptical meets a stair climber. A solid 21 min workout every day, that works on the sprint concept, so 75 seconds of regular fat burn speed, then 25 seconds of intense full speed action. So far I have dropped from 180 to 167 pounds in only a few months. I also row for 30 minutes a day. This is winter training, now that spring has arrived I look forward to adding in the river SUP training every other day and SUP surfing whenever we get waves.

Here is a link to the M7 if interested in checking it out:

http://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/m7/100469.html?adID=DOSG2ESL11&psearch=1&gclid=CLTB3cn06dICFQaHswodqoAJAg

Quickbeam:

--- Quote from: Wetstuff on March 21, 2017, 01:46:53 PM ---The reason I am posting this is I keep looking for specific ideas on how to use it beyond the "45min fat burn" programs.   And a light went off today: a YouTube fellow said something to the effect; "Go hands-free to get more core and improve your balance."   BINGO!   Whoa.. is that hard or what?  You would have thought, someone who stands on a wobbly board would have done this already, by instinct?! 

Hands-free is much more interesting and harder.  I'm going over now for a few minutes.

You got any tricks that work for you?

Jim

--- End quote ---

I don't have our elliptical anymore. Sold it some time ago. And the one we did have was not fancy. It did not have all the workout programs etc. Was a good solid machine, just did not have all the electronics.

All that being said, one thing I tried was going backwards on it. This used different muscle groups and helped change things up. Not even sure if you can do it on the new ones, but might be worth a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version