Author Topic: Charleston and Seattle Zoners  (Read 5892 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Charleston and Seattle Zoners
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
I get all the negatives about Seattle.  The only plus is that I have friends out there.  Charleston might not work because they want people to work night shift, which I just can't do anymore. 
The only other options I have are near Austin or Durango....

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 06:12:53 PM »
IMHO, Austin would be tops, never been to Durango though.  Austin is big enough, but not too big.  Not super cheap, but affordable enough.  Outstanding climate.  Hip enough, but not to the point of critical mass hipster collapse like Seattle.  A place where a liberal or conservative or anyone in between could find their niche and be comfy.  Was there in Dec saw bunch of SUPs on the river.  Might have to get a road bike though.   And then there's that big river race there ....  you know what Davey Crockett said, "You all can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:04 PM »
IMHO, Austin would be tops, never been to Durango though.  Austin is big enough, but not too big.  Not super cheap, but affordable enough.  Outstanding climate.  Hip enough, but not to the point of critical mass hipster collapse like Seattle.  A place where a liberal or conservative or anyone in between could find their niche and be comfy.  Was there in Dec saw bunch of SUPs on the river.  Might have to get a road bike though.   And then there's that big river race there ....  you know what Davey Crockett said, "You all can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."

When I moved from Seattle the first time, in '89, I went to Austin for a few years.  It was HOT!  A lot hotter now I hear, but I think I could handle the heat much better.  I have a couple friends near there, so it's on the short list.
Seldom, do you live in Seattle?  If so, how long have you been there?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:20:41 PM by spirit4earth »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
I don't live in Seattle but I've been there several times.  Yeah there's a big homeless population but same with many other big cities.  The homeless population in here in San Diego has exploded in the past few years and the local city council are up front about the fact they have no idea how to fix it or where to start.  It is what it is. Like I said, much the same as many other cities.  We voted for legalizing marijuana in California so we all are aware of the problems that will be coming with it.  Beyond that I think Seattle is a great city and I've considered moving there myself.  I think you will find many others who have and do live there and love it despite it's problems.  And I've never had any disproportionate rudeness from wait staff.   Great restaurants and pubs, great music scene, great art scene.  Cool neighborhoods (I personally like hipster neighborhoods).  But yeah it is rainy and cold most of the year and while there are plenty of places to paddle, there won't be much in the way of surfing.  Haven't been to Austin yet but it's in my near future.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:49:49 PM by surf4food »

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
No, don't live there used to go there for work weekly, pass thru there quite a bit.  Used to go to REI flagship store but the rude hipster attitudes of the sales help there turned me off to that.  Have to watch Seattle tv for local news, when I do watch tv. 

I live in a smaller city 100 miles from Seattle. 

I have lived in Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Washington, DC, and worked in 25 or so other cities for a few weeks at a time. 

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Wow - I feel like I need to stand up for Seattle!  I've lived here since college graduation almost 40 years ago, so I know what I'm talking about..Like many other locations, it's gone through many changes and its popular out here for a reason - its a fantastic place to live and work, simple as that.  Its a giant outdoor playground with unbeatable access to the sea and water and the mountains.  Yes, it's been an unusually cold and wet winter, but you know what - the skiing has been absolutely outrageous this year!  Deep deep powder days and bluebird cruising.  I challenge anyone to take the tram to the top of Crystal (one hour from my driveway) and say hello to Mr. Mt Rainier - stunning!  Paddling here is fantastic.  There is so much water within spitting distance.  Try for a downwinder on Lake Washington sometime or hit the Tugboat waves out in Puget sound.  Take a two hour drive out to Westport on the coast - and yes, you need a wetsuit (3-2 in the summer - no booties, no hood), but the vibe there is friendly as hell and it's never crowded and there are days out there that rival Mexico or Hawaii with glassy waves in a safe beach beach break environment.   Drive 4 hours down to world class kiteboarding or downwinding in the Gorge.  Drive for 4 hours up to world class skiing at Whistler.  Drive  for 5 hours down to world class mountain biking in Bend...hell, just stay in Seattle for that - the mtb scene here is fantastic.  White water, rock climbing, paragliding - you name. we have it in spades out here.  Top it off -  the city is full of life - vibrant, diverse, safe and clean - and yes we have homeless and other issues, but they certainly don't define us.  It's expensive - what can I say - we've been discovered and that is the price we pay.  I rest my case....
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
I love Seattle--grew up there and still spend lots of time there.  Housing affordability is the big issue, as has already been said. Lots of Portlanders have a weird hatred of Seattle, maybe because they can't admit it's as good or better in many things Portland thinks too highly of itself for.  Best thing about Seattle is its natural setting---Lake Washington and Sound, with mountains all around.  Yes, there's all kinds of things within a few hours' drive, but also plenty to like within the city. But today, I might choose a smaller city near Seattle.  Tacoma is vastly underrated.  Bellingham is great.  Anywhere in Puget Sound is great.  Then go into Seattle for your big-city fix--or better yet, go to Vancouver (BC, not WA!) for one of the world's great cosmopolitan cities.

And I paddle (not surf) in the Sound all summer in board shorts, and sometimes swim (but that takes some easing in).  Coming back here after being in Lake Washington or the Sound, the Willamette feels like a sewer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:09:39 PM by pdxmike »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
My friends are in north Seattle---Lake City and Bitter Lake, so I intend to trend to northwards myself.
Going downtown will be an event, rather than a daily occurrence.
Glad to hear that some still like it, though!

I need to research paddling around Durango and Santa Fe.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »
I love Seattle--grew up there and still spend lots of time there.  Housing affordability is the big issue, as has already been said. Lots of Portlanders have a weird hatred of Seattle, maybe because they can't admit it's as good or better in many things Portland thinks too highly of itself for.  Best thing about Seattle is its natural setting---Lake Washington and Sound, with mountains all around.  Yes, there's all kinds of things within a few hours' drive, but also plenty to like within the city. But today, I might choose a smaller city near Seattle.  Tacoma is vastly underrated.  Bellingham is great.  Anywhere in Puget Sound is great.  Then go into Seattle for your big-city fix--or better yet, go to Vancouver (BC, not WA!) for one of the world's great cosmopolitan cities.

And I paddle (not surf) in the Sound all summer in board shorts, and sometimes swim (but that takes some easing in).  Coming back here after being in Lake Washington or the Sound, the Willamette feels like a sewer.

This is a great post. Like I said this winter has everyone looking south, but I have lived PNW my whole life and built my businesses here for a reason. I have been lucky to set myself up within striking distance of Seattle (to peel some of the immense wealth out of the economy there) and still live in the sticks. Talented people will always find a way to make a good living in the Pugetropolis complex.

Everything I love to do has a water element to it, and living here provides a great deal of variety.

From my front door I can be suited up and paddling out at Westport in 50 minutes.
I can catch a bright salmon or steelhead in 2 or three rivers in 5 - 15 minutes.
I can be flatwater paddling or in a river in 5 minutes.
I can be sitting in a duck blind in 15 minutes.

If you like water stuff - PNW has it all and it is all different and interesting. As long as being cold and wet is no issue for you. These days equipment is so good, that you can work and play in bad weather and always be pretty warm. You just have to buy a lot of gear - kick the bums out of the way to get into the REI store.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

...and just to keep things in perspective, especially given all the current posts in other threads about hardy surfers and paddlers in 39 degree air and water, its relatively tropical around here.  50 degrees and rain is not the worst  ;D.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Actually the biggest problem most of us have is expanding the garage enough to store all the toys, or maybe should say "hide" all the toys...the wife rolls her eyes...whoops, sun is out...board on the rack...nice day for a paddle.  Will hit the slopes tomorrow....
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
I am in agreement with all the Pacific Northwest being a great place to live comments, for me personally it's just Seattle itself that totally turns me off, for reasons I set forth in my earlier bomb.  And I have lived in, and liked, some of the biggest metro areas in the US.  All you posters that live near, but not in, Seattle said it all.  And I really, really, like Portland.  Just far enough inland where it actually gets warm in the summer.  And yes, I own a dry suit and three wetsuits.  And I have fenders on my bike. 

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »

THIS. I lived in Seattle for 7 years and left for LA because of my job. I miss the PNW so much it hurts sometimes, and it's been 2 years I've been gone now. (That's the Seattle skyline from West Seattle in my photo) I loved paddling Puget Sound, year round. And there are plenty of other great paddle destinations within easy driving distance. The housing cost is absurd, but I feel like that's the case just about everywhere outside the midwest these days. Like any big cities it's got its problems, but there's plenty to love too. 
~*Ginger*~

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Now DC is on the list!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal