Stand Up Paddle > SUP General

Charleston and Seattle Zoners

(1/6) > >>

spirit4earth:
I'm finally going to be moving, and I have two possibilities.  I might go back to Seattle after a twenty year absence.  I have a lot of friends out there.  The other option is Charleston, where I might get a job at MUSC.
For the Seattle Zoners:  is there EVER decent paddling weather out there?  Decent for me would mean not having to wear a wetsuit (I'm a thin-blooded southerner).  What can I expect, for both SUP and kayaking?
For the Charleston Zoners:  can you advise me on inexpensive yet safe areas to live?  I would be an ED Tech, which is a good job but low-income.  I will probably need to share a space, but I don't know anything about Charleston neighborhoods.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

RichH:
For Seattle, if you're talking SUP surfing or downwinding, no, you always need a wetsuit. For flat water paddling I never wear a wetsuit year round. In the winter I just wear cross country ski wear.

Rich

Dusk Patrol:
+1  to Rich's comments. I confess there's a two month winter window where the weather 'disincentivizes'  my getting out and paddling, but other than that it's great in-city paddling. As you know.
Jobwise, charter schools are just being implemented here, if that expands your opportunities. 

spirit4earth:
Thank you for your replies!  Is Lake Union safe to paddle in?  Meaning...is it safe to fall in to Lake Union?  :)

pdxmike:
If you haven't lived in Seattle for 20 years, and are basing your impressions of it on what it was like then, falling into Lake Union will be the least of your problems.  If you want an affordable place to live in Seattle, Charleston might be a good place to look.  Or Everett.  Or Puyallup.

Paddling and falling into Lake Union is safe.  But I don't know if you can beat Lake Washington on a nice summer as a perfect paddling or swimming location.  Sound is always cold.  Lakes are per Rich's comment, and perfect in summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version